Need advice!!!

nicola

<font color=deeppink>Tinkerbell<br><font color=gre
Hi Guys,

Just about to book for Christmas season. Can't decide between DLH and SL. DLH is approx £500 more for 4 nights. Benefits of SL, much cheaper, nice fire. Benefits of DLH- proximity to park. We are going to go Nov 28- Dec 2 and I am afraid that it will be soooo cold for our 2 year old DD. That is really the only thing swaying us toward the DLH. We were thinking if it were really cold we could nip in if staying at DLH to get warmed up, But £500 is A LOT of money to pay extra to stay at DLH. We could afford the extra money but it means less toward funds for WDW for next Sept. What do you all think? I would appreciate as many opinions as possible. Thanks in advance :flower:

I think popping into the Emporium to warm up or the Cable Car Bakeshop for hot chocolate would cost a lot less than £500!

Thanks Diberry, DO you think this would be sufficient even with a two year old? I appreciate your prompt reply. Please keep em coming.

We took our DD in early December when she was 2 1/2 and stayed at the HNY, so only a little bit closer than SL. We didn't have any problems with that location. I see you've already stayed at the HNY and probably want to try something new. I agree with Di - you can buy a lot of hot chocolate for £500 and all the cafes and restaurants are nice and warm. It's also nice way to try them out without spending a fortune. And of course you can pop into the DLH for a hot chocolate and a look around - for a hour or so!!

JMHO

Becky,
Was it really cold when you were there? How did DD handle it? DId you go back to hotel during day? You are right about us staying at the HNY. We LOVE it there but decided to try something new this time?

Nicola, I can honestly say when we went in February it was bitterly cold! My DDs were not at all bothered - it was me and DH that suffered!

They had woolly hats, scarves and gloves and didn't even mention feeling cold :)

It wasn't too cold, except for the last day which was quite bitter. We didn't find it a problem, but we stupidly sat outside waiting for Animagique to open it's doors. Of course, there isn't a problem getting a seat in there, so we could have just strolled up later. :rolleyes:

Didn't really go back to the hotel during the day, but didn't stay out that late. Had long lunch at the Blue Lagoon one day and DD was surprisingly well behaved!!

Just one thing to maybe bear in mind, is that SL rooms and bathrooms are a little smaller than those at the New York

Well, I'll disagree here :teeth: For £500 more, I think you should splurge for the DLH, I'm actually quite surprised it is that low - the DLH premium is usually higher, I always thought. When we went for NYE, it was invaluable to be able to travel back so quickly to the room for a mid-afternoon escape from the cold (it was freezing!). Couple that with the larger room sizes and amenities, I think this would be a no-brainer for us. This is just my opinion, but with 3 under-fives plus pushchairs, it is so handy being at the DLH - especially at 1am on NYE when there are about 12 million people crushing out of the park!! I'm planning to book for NYE this year soon, so we might see you at DLRP :)

:wizard:

Oh dear, Now I am getting confused. The only other consideration is that the DLH has room service and the SL does not. Room service is something that we used A LoT when we stayed at HNY> ANy other comments/opinions?

Nicola - I say do whatever your heart tells you.

Imagine you phone up to book and DLH or SL is fully booked? How would you feel then? Would that make your mind up for you? It's alwways when I know I can't have something I realise how much I really wanted it ;)

I guess the other consideration is, what will you have to go without for the extra £500? If the answer is "not much" then go for it. If on the other hand it means you would have a lot less money to spend at DLP then maybe SL is the best option for you :)

Thanks Karen,

Very sensible advice indeed!! I think we will have to sleep on it after much discussion no doubt!!!

I would try the DLH but i am biased as thats what we want to try next.

What I would say was last december it was bitterly cold .

My two were 11 & 12 and the younger complained constantly about the cold. If you are taking gloves with a little one, attatch them with a string to throught their coat as they take them off indoors and promptly drop them.

When I think how many pins I culd have purchased with 3 lots of extra gloves I could cry. :sad2:

Nikki

Nikki, When in Dec did you go and where did you stay?

nicola said:
Nikki, When in Dec did you go and where did you stay?

we stayed in HNY from the 4th for 5 days and then a day in Paris.We had dinner in DLH and fell in love.

nikki

We went last year Nov 29th Dec 3rd and didn't find it that cold at all. Took thermals for the children which they didn't wear once. It was a bit colder on the last day which bothered us more than them - our youngest was just 2 and she refused to put her gloves on! Also, the parks were very quiet so you would have no problem popping in somewhere for a drink and a warm up.

Obviously turned colder in the evening so we went back to the hotel -NBC earlyish. My 2 didn't like Fantillusion so weren't bothered about missing it, we headed back after the Enchanted Fairytale Ceremony which finished at 6.30ish I think. We're planning on going again this November and will probably stay at the SL this time.

Nicola
I assume that your DD will be in her buggy a lot of the time in which case you could really wrap her up to keep her warm. I assume that you can still get foot muffs over here for buggies and it would cheaper than £500.
I remember going to WDW in 2001 and it was freezing ! We had to scrape the ice of the car in the morning. Our DS was cold and could we find anywhere that sold mitts etc, not in the SUNSHINE state ! LOL
If I could afford it I would stay at DLH, because I want to not because its cold. There are plenty of places in the park to warm up, and get drinking choclate ect

Hope I'm not too late to get my opinion in here! We went 2 years ago with dd (5) for Ds's second birthday. We stayed at HNY from about 16th - 20th November. We had one day when it rained & was quite warm (ish!) & the other days it was dry and cold. 2yr old spent most of the time in his pram in a snow suit, we never went back to Hotel during theday. 5 yr old daughter wanted to wear her Snow White dress with no coat, so underneath she had vest, short sleeved t shirt & long sleeved t shirt. On the bottom she had tights, 'long johns' (from M&S!) & trousers - yes the dress is a bit big onher & she looked delightful! She insisted she wasn't cold, she probably was a bit but it certainly ddin't bother her! This year, we're going 15th - 19th December. They'll be 4 & 7, haven't decided on hotel yet, but it'll probably be the Explorers or one of the others in that area as it will be our fourth visit this year(!!) - we bought annual passes & are determined to get our money's worth!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter