Need Help- anyone traveled before with a 3 year old?

monie516

Mouseketeer
We have asked friends to join us but they are hesitant because they have a 3 year old who still takes naps and would need an early bedtime. Love to hear from those who have cruised Disney before with a 3 year old or younger along. I will pass the info on to them to help with their decision. My email is monie516@aol.com.

I traveled with my 3 year old dd this past July 20th. (She had turned 3 on July 12th) She actually did pretty well. She loved the club and I literally had to drag her out. I did make a point in taking her out for her nap. She fell right to sleep, because we had an inside cabin. It was nice and dark! She stayed in the club late and loved it. It was nice to have her enjoy herself and I had an opportunity to do adult activities for a change!

A key question to ask is whether the 3 year old is potty trained or not.....if no, then they will not be allowed in the Club or the pools and they will pay for babysitting at Flounders Reef.

They are progressing with the potty training. Should have it down by cruise time end of January! She was starting ti wear "big girl panties" just last week-lol!

I don't know if the cabin reservations have already been made but if not I would strongly recommend getting a verandah. We recently sailed with our three year old and our 5yo. I spent hours sitting on the verandah after my kids had gone to bed (later than their normal bedtime but still pretty early for me). My husband usually went to see a movie or go up to the Sports Zone. I didn't mind at all because I loved just sitting on that verandah, staring at the ocean and having a cold drink.

If that's an option for your friends than I would really recommend it as the way to travel with young children who need to either nap or go to bed early.

Oh...one last thing. When we went on the cruise we really thought we would only put the kids in the club for short periods of time (like the special activities). Problem was that every single time we went to pick them up they would run and hide from us and when we finally got them they would yell at us for coming to get them! They LOVED the club and I was extremely impressed with the quality of both the care and the activities they provided. My daughter still talks about the night Mother Goose came and read them bedtime stories.

On our 7 day Eastern last November, we met in line going onboard, as well as bumped into several times throughout the week, a single father who was traveling alone with his two little ones, one of whom we immediately knew what his name was -- his father must have said it 127 times during the wait in line. LOL

The younger one I referred to was about 3 and the daughter was about 5 or 6. Each time we ran into them onboard throughout the week, we asked how they were doing, and the father said "very well, thanks." He seemed to be enjoying himself and so were the children. I give him a lot of credit! He said he was able to "get away" on occasion while onboard to attend some of the "single" get-togethers.

God love him! ;)

I can't offer you any advice yet about travelling w/3 yr. old and my dd is actually pretty close to 4. However, we will be on the 10/31 Wonder and I think my dd will do quite well. Of course, she pretty much doesn't nap and goes to bed around 8:30 or 9:00.

I think the main problem I will have is that she won't want to leave the play area and I'll be spending lots more time there than I'd like. However, if I think the care is OK and maybe she finds a similarly aged playmate, I might be willing to leave her there for short periods of time.

Good luck!:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter