Need help from our wonderful neighbors up north for trip planning

princesspiglet

DIS Veteran
So this year for Christmas break our family is traveling to Quebec City and Montreal. We will be in QC from Dec 24-27 and then in Montreal from Dec 28-Jan 1. I've been doing lots of research and have most days planned out. Is there anything that we need to know, must do's, great local places to eat/visit/see that I should add to my itinerary?

Oh, also, my DD15 loves those maple sugar candies that we always get in Epcot and is hoping to find them on our trip. Does anyone know any place that sells them?
TIA!

Hi from Montreal,

For your first question, it would be helpful to know what you already planned and what you like to do and eat. On that last part, Montreal being one of the world foremost city for restaurants per capita, with NYC and Tokyo, the choices are many and so very varied. Know that most places are very laid back when it comes to attire and service. You can safely go to even the most well-rated places with kids and in jeans. Some restaurants do not allow kids under 18 because they hold a bar licence that allows them to serve alcohol without meals. It is usually stated on their website.

The second question is more easily answered. You’ll find maple products in many places, especially in tourist spots like Old Quebec and Old Montreal. If you plan on visiting a public market, like Jean-Talon or Atwater markets in Montreal, you will have more choices (hard candies, soft candies, maple butter, maple nuggets, ‘tire’ which is concentrated maple syrup, etc.) in larger quantities and at more reasonable prices. If you are flying in, there’s a maple store past security in the Montreal airport.

I'm not sure where you're from, but be prepared to be cold!! I've personally never been to either city in the winter (Toronto is cold enough for me!), but Old Montreal is a great place to walk around with its restaurants, art galleries, etc., and the same goes for Quebec City. You can also see the Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal, and there are some great skiing spots near Montreal and Quebec City. I'm sure you'll have a great time with some great food!!

Boujour! Have a wonderful time up north here! I concur with Mark D, without knowing your already planned spots it's hard to guide.

We went to a sugar shack outside of Quebec City. Île d'Orléans. Some are only open in spring but some are year round. Your daughter will like eating maple taffy off of fresh snow

For Quebec City staying outside the "walls" will be less expensive. And it is just a short walk. Hopefully they are still having free celebrate 150years with a lot of the parks Canada exhibits. We were there in the summer and all were free. Nice perk. There is a small luge ride on the boardwalk that is fun and anyone can walk into the Chateau for free. The other thing that we loved was a walking tour of the city. There are a few free ones you can find on the internet, just tip $10 bucks after to them. Lots of great info.

We visited both spots this summer and both are beautiful with so many interesting things to see or do. We spent longer in Quebec City so I will focus my recommendations on that city.
Number one way to see Old Quebec City for me would be to take a horse drawn carriage ride. You get to see all the historical spots with your knowledgeable guide and can ask questions of the guides. Bonus in winter you would have a nice blanket to snuggle under (Quebec is cold!)
My other recommendation would be to stop at Paillard at bakery on Rue St Jean (walkable from downtown) and get a croissant- best we have ever had.
As for Maple candies ( pretty much any tourist trap) but to make taffy on snow there were two places that offered this. One was close to Paillard in Rue St Jean, the other on Rue St. Louis.
Incredible places to eat everywhere you turn but if you don’t mind eating earlier around 5pm you can get an incredible authentic Quebec meal at a great price (the price more than doubled after 6pm ) at Aux Anciens Canadians on Rue St Louie.
Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter