Need help with Fort Wilderness resort info...

B3LM

Disney Fan
I'm considering a future stay at the Fort Wilderness Cabins and I'm wondering how much walking is required at this resort. Is everything really spread out? I understand that golf carts are available for rent. Can anyone tell me how much they are? Can they be taken anywhere on the FW property?

Also, how was transportation to/from the parks. It will be me, DS8, DD6, DD2, and my parents.

Thanks!
Beth

Fort Wilderness is pretty big and spread out. I would advise either getting a golf cart if you plan on spending a lot of time at the campground. The bus system has always been good in the past (but there was a post about consolidating buses here). You might even consider renting bicycles at the "barn".

You'll love FW, it's our very favorite place to camp!

Hi,

I haven't rented a golf cart in a long time there, because we bring our bikes. But, I assume they are around $30-35 dollars a day. And, yes they can be taken anywhere around the campground! :) If that's out of your budget you can also rent bikes by the day or hour as well.

Mmketeer

Unfortunately, the golf carts have gone up to about $45 a day. If walking large amounts is a concern, then a golf cart would be a must. If you aren't close to the bus stop you might have to walk about 15 minutes just to get to it. FW is a really big place!

You can take the golf carts just about anywhere in FW and they have parking areas close to the boat dock, the stores, the pools and comfort stations and campfire, and the main bus areas. Plus, they are a load of fun!!

Barbara
176 days to go

Hi Beth,

I believe the cabins are located in the 2100 to 2800 loops. From any of these loops, you should be able walk to a bus stop is 5 minutes or less. As welovemickey stated, if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the campground, you may have to hop on the buses if you don't have a cart. On our last trip, we had a cabin near the entrance of the 2100 loop. Just to give you an idea of walking time, we were less than a minute to the bus stop and about 5 minutes to the Meadow Trading Post. On serveral occasions, we would return to FW on buses that dropped everyone off at the Pioneer Hall area and then left FW again. Rather than wait for an internal bus and load the kids and strollers again, we would walk back to our cabin (loop 2100). This walk was about 15 minutes.

If you can get a cabin in the 2100-2300 loops, you don't mind walking a bit, and you have a stroller for your 2 yo, I would think you could get by easy enough without the golf cart (assuming your parents are ok with walking also). It is only a 5-10 minutes walk to the Meadow Trading Post, Bike Barn, Campfire, and Pool area and you can always take a bus to the Pioneer Hall/Petting Farm/Marina area if you need to.

If you are in the 2700-2800 area, I would think your only two options are a cart or the buses (unless you have bikes). It is a long walk from there to get to anything :)

If you haven't already done so, you can request a particluar loop on your reservation. We have stayed in many of the cabin loops and we like 2100 the best. It is also very close to the comfort station in loop 1100, so if you need to do laundry while you are there, it is close by.

Our kids really enjoyed walking around FW... they were as interested spotting animals and birds along the trail as they were in getting to our destination. With your 3 kids ranging in age between 2 and 8, FW is the best place to stay, it has the most things to do, and your kids will love it.

Definitely get a golf cart!!!!
Totally worth it......
The kids loved it.
We didn't have to rely on the timing of the buses to catch the boat to the MK, or to go watch the fireworks, get groceries or whatever....

I believe most of the carts hold 4 people, but it has been mentioned here lately that FW is either in the process of, or looking into purchasing carts that will hold 6 and 8 people.

What loops are closet to Pioneer Hall area? I'm trying to convince my DH to stay at FW and if we could get a loop close to the hall and I know we'll splurge on the golf carts too! I've always wanted to stay there and I've been reading a few posts on this thread and think I've just about got him convinced!

Thanks so much, I completely forgot about Jeff Spence's site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter