Need help with New York City hotels

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
In August planning to go to NYC. DD would love to stay near times square, but of course the hotels are very expensive and we are driving so we have to pay $$$ for an SUV valet parking.

What are some other options? Brooklyn hotels are cheaper, but I have no idea of safe vs sketchy areas to go find hotels. Any other areas I should look?

Any recommendations?? Would need easy subway access because all the things we want to do will be in Manhattan.

thanks!

I've stayed at the Shelburne Affinia and really enjoyed it. I don't think it was much more than $100/night (although I did use the app Hotel Tonight to book it last minute), but it seems like another Affinia hotel has a good deal (109/night). Their three hotels are all located in Manhattan in good areas close to subway stations.

I'd try and stay in Manhattan if you can. I feel like the hassle of commuting from Brooklyn would be annoying for a short stay.

If need be check out Secaucus nj on the 302 bus line. We stayed at La Quinta Inn and Suites once and found it really easy to commute. Most trips the bus was around 20 minutes to Port Authority walking distance to Times Square. We had a 1 bedroom suite, pool, free breakfast etc for much less than staying in Manhattan would have been at that time. I've also gotten great deals from travelzoo.

How about Hoboken? Its a path (subway) ride to the city and has beautiful views.

I live in North NJ and can help out validating hotels on this side or in Manhattan .

I would suggest against staying in times square. Its so busy that it might be overkill

You can look at hotels on the river in Jersey City or Weehawken NJ. If it's just the two of you, look into hotel bidding sites, or look into hotels downtown.

I really like Hotel Mela - its close to Times Square - it was close to my office on the Avenue of Americas - and very quiet because its not ON Times Square, but its super conveniently located. Definitely a boutique place. The rooms are small, but nice. Its very reasonable for the area. The restaurant - Saju Bistro - is great and where they get their room service from.

I really like Hotel Mela - its close to Times Square - it was close to my office on the Avenue of Americas - and very quiet because its not ON Times Square, but its super conveniently located. Definitely a boutique place. The rooms are small, but nice. Its very reasonable for the area. The restaurant - Saju Bistro - is great and where they get their room service from.
That would work if there are only 2 of them and they don't mind sharing a bed. Definitely use a parking app to find cheaper parking, or park at a park and ride and take public transportation into the city.

Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
304 Paterson Plank Road, Carlstadt, New Jersey, 07072, USA

We stayed at this hotel last summer. Clean rooms, breakfast and parking included. The bus stop to and from Times Square was right in front of the hotel. 15 minute non stop ride. It was very convenient!

We stay in New Jersey, the Hampton Inn, carlsdat at the meadow lands. It is great. The bus picks you up right outside the hotel, it is the last stop before the city. I think it is about 15-20 minute ride into city. When you buy the ticket for 9 dollars it is for round trip. At the end of the night it is the first stop going back. The hotel offers free breakfast and free parking. We have stayed there 5 times now, because of the convenience.
I would love to stay right in the city someday, but my husband does not want to drive in that traffic and pay for the parking.

You could also consider the upper west side. I like the area a lot. Back when DW was just DGF, we would go to dinner in their before going to a show. Always found it to be a nicer experience than the theater district restaurants. I live in the NYC area so don't use hotels there, but a colleague of mine has spoken well of the NYLO NYC on the upper west side at 77th and Broadway. I know that is where he stays when he brings his wife in for the weekend. Other than his recommendation, I can't say anything about the hotel, but in that area, you have good subway access (only a couple of stops from Times Square) close to the park, and there are a lot of a lot of restaurants.

We always stay in Times Square at the Sheraton Times Square. I am not sure how much you want to pay, but I can usually find rates there anywhere from $230-$250 per night...that is a steal in Times Square....in NYC anywhere really!

I usually stay at the Marriott Marquis- I love that hotel- right in the middle of Times Square and all the "action"- at night we would go sit on the steps by the TKTS booth and just people watch! I don't live far from NYC but we still like staying overnight sometimes- we will do like a Wed-Thurs and see a broadway matinee Wed then a night time show Wed and then a night time show Thurs before heading home!

If you use Priceline or hotels.com you can usually get a decent price on a hotel right off Times Square on the west side. There are Hilton Garden Inn, Doubletree, Four Points by Sheraton and a few other name brands from 36th to 40th streets.

I usually stay at the Marriott Marquis- I love that hotel- right in the middle of Times Square and all the "action"- at night we would go sit on the steps by the TKTS booth and just people watch! I don't live far from NYC but we still like staying overnight sometimes- we will do like a Wed-Thurs and see a broadway matinee Wed then a night time show Wed and then a night time show Thurs before heading home!

We are actually staying at the Marriott Marquis in August. Taking my DD14 to see Hamilton and I wanted a hotel close by. I used my Marriott reward points, so ended up costing me $0! It looks really nice, can't wait to check it out.

I can tell you this.. avoid the Paramount Hotel. It is just off Times Square. I stayed there this past February, and even though we got it off Groupon, still not worth it! Where are you coming from? Can you take the MTA into the city? It will save you $$$ on parking and aggravation of driving in the city.

Check out Club Quarters. They have several locations and may be a little less than other hotels in the area.

When I went to NYC back in 2008, I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Chelsea. I had no complaints. I don't recall how far it was to the subway though, we usually stuck to cabs.

We always stay in Times Square at the Sheraton Times Square. I am not sure how much you want to pay, but I can usually find rates there anywhere from $230-$250 per night...that is a steal in Times Square....in NYC anywhere really!

I just got back from taking my daughters girl scout troop that I lead to NYC. We stayed at the Sheraton Times Square. So worth the extra the cost and not having to commute from NJ. It's so close the subway. Times square is a very short walk away. Very convenient to everything the girls wanted to do in Manhattan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter