Need help with one-day, two-park plan!

MermaidMommy

DIS Veteran
DD17 and I will be going to Universal on Monday 3/12 as a one-day break from Disney. We're keeping our Disney hotel, so won't be staying at Universal. We are planning on buying unlimited Express Pass, due to spring break crowds. (With just two of us, it will likely be cheaper to buy the pass than pay for an EE-eligible hotel.) Both parks are open 9-9 that day. Early entry isn't on the calendar yet, but I'm assuming it will be the studios.

We've been to universal before, so we know what we want to see and what we can skip if time runs short. We haven't been since Diagon Alley opened up, so that's our biggest priority, along with Hogsmeade and the big coasters.

What would be the best strategy for us? I'm assuming we should start in whichever park doesn't have EE, so if that means starting in IoA, would you go to Hogsmeade first or other parts of the park? What would be a good time to leave for the Studios and Diagonal Alley? Since we'll have the express pass, should we just ride whichever rides we want as we pass them? I'm hoping to make the most out of our twelve hours there!

IMO start at Diagon Alley as early as possible take the HE and enjoy Hogsmead, now that HP main attractions do have express pass line isn’t that hard to do both parks on any given day.

The HP areas will be best avoided 12-4 because they’re too crowded to really enjoy.
Aim to be exiting your vehicle an hour before park opening time.
I’d start with Diagon Alley regardless of what side has EE.
Early lunch at Leaky Cauldron. Then HE. Stay in Hogsmeade til the crowds get to you. Enjoy anything that you pass and looks cool.

Since you haven't been yet to expereince Diagon Alley I would defintiely start tehre adn try to hit the regular line so you can actually see all the stuff from the queue (unless the Express line takes you through it all as well then that will work too). After that check out the shops and things int he area then head over to Hogsmeade with the Hogwarts Express and do the stuff there. I'd do a loop of IoA after that, returning back to the train to return to the Studios side and hit up the rest of the attractions there before closing. With the Express pass you should be able to get through everything fine.

Both parks will have early crowds

Those on site so the EE and then move to the other park once it opens

If you drive leave early
Garage parking will be time consuming

If you are being dropped off, still leave Disney early

You will go through security check before you enter city walk

If you will be dealing with any line waits, let it be for rides and not for parking or for security screening

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!