Need Key west, Cozumel, Costa Maya recommendations with 6 year old girl

NJMomto2

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done the chocolate and pinata workshop?

Playa Mia?

Hop off tram in key West?

We loved Paradise Beach and the Dolphin Push/Pull Swim at Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel. In Costa Maya we went with Native Choice to Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. We booked on our own and they were all excellent.

We did the trolley in Key West with my kids when they were 11 and 8. They were kind of bored for the driving/talking part. We mostly heard about the history of the area, architecture, that sort of thing - which they aren't interested in. At one point we got off, and then it took for-ev-er for the next trolley to arrive. It was a little ridiculous. We could have walked back to the ship faster! Also, I oversold the whole "trolley" aspect. My kids quickly noticed it's just a bus that's been made to look like a trolley, LOL! So overall, it wasn't a great experience with kids, for us anyway. They had some other little train thing that was cuter and might be better with a 6yo.

They both really liked the little aquarium, if you want a fairly brief activity. Easy walking distance from the ship, right at the main trolley stop. We were there maybe an hour? They had rescue sea turtles, a little touch pool, sting-rays to touch, and a nice gift shop. If I had a do-over, I'd just go there and skip the trolley.

Thanks - we looked at the train - it is 4 stops vs hop on hop off.

Remaining open

Thanks - we looked at the train - it is 4 stops vs hop on hop off.

Remaining open

I would look at how many places you actually want to get off. Odds are the Conch Train Tour might stop at those - or at least close enough to where you want to go you can walk. Key West is pretty walkable TBH. If you're not wanting to get on and off at each stop on the HOHO, you don't really need to do that one.

We just came back and did Playa Mia with a 5.5 and 3 yo. We went a few years ago when DD1 was 2. We really like it, with a few caveats It is run down a bit, yes, but the pools are great - a standard pool that my husband loves because they'll bring his drinks right to it and they do allow swim diapers. And an awesome shallow kids pool with a ton of little slides and water features that both girls loved, especially the 3 yo. The food is mediocre but it's fine, drinks are included. The drink servers can be a bit pushy and want their tips. We didn't spend too much time on the beach (we're not huge beach people) but they did nicely set up chairs and umbrellas for us - it was scorching hot. Also there is a walk from the ship, some waiting, followed by a walk to the buses and a bus ride - my kids didn't like all the waiting and walking, but they're spoiled...) We ended up taking a cab back because we wanted to leave earlier and didn't want to go through the crowd/waiting/walking again. Hope that helps!

Thank you! super helpful.

Do you think an umbrella stroller is ok at playa mia?

We live in Key West and with a 6 year old I would most definitely say to do the Aquarium, maybe even the butterfly conservatory. We love the Butterfly conservatory. The tram I don't think a 6 year old would be too entertained by. There isn't much to "see" just riding around the island for kids. The train might be better if you want to ride around just because a train might be a littler more fun for a little one to ride on. If you have any other questions about the island let me know.

Thank you - would we walk to the butterfly conservatory? I think I read the aquarium is at the port area.

Thank you - would we walk to the butterfly conservatory? I think I read the aquarium is at the port area.
Yes, you can walk to it. I'm not sure how long you are in port. It's about a mile from the aquarium. If you don't have a stroller though might be a bit of a far walk for a little one though.its just one of the few things we have here that a child might enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter