Need opinions- bounce back vs annual pass

HPS3

Disney Fanatic
We are planning a trip for this coming May, and are trying to decide if we should get annual passes for the first time ever, since we know we also want to visit again within a year for Mardi Gras 2018 (which will be in Feb). It would save us some money on tickets. However, I wonder if there is a possibility of being able to book a bounce back trip for Feb in which case we would have to buy a package with tickets, obviously making the annual pass not worth it. I have been reading that most often the bounce back offer is for free dining. Is this typically true, and what would be the better value? If we stay at a value resort in May, can we even book a bounce back for a moderate, or does the offer only apply to a future value resort stay?

You are able to book any class of resort that the BB includes, regardless of which type of resort you are currently staying at. If you purchase APs in addition to your package, you are able to save the tickets that come with your package for use on a future trip (provided you don't use them at all). You would need to visit Guest Services prior to park entry and have them prioritize your MDE linked tickets to have the APs used first. Which is cost effective depends on the specifics of your package, your family, and all your plans.

You are able to book any class of resort that the BB includes, regardless of which type of resort you are currently staying at. If you purchase APs in addition to your package, you are able to save the tickets that come with your package for use on a future trip (provided you don't use them at all). You would need to visit Guest Services prior to park entry and have them prioritize your MDE linked tickets to have the APs used first. Which is cost effective depends on the specifics of your package, your family, and all your plans.
Thank you so much! I didn't know you could do this. So if we wanted to go ahead and get the APs this year and take our trip in May, and end up not getting a bounce back offer for the following February trip, we really won't have lost anything. It was like a gamble, not getting the APs and just hoping for an offer that would be sufficient to us, so this is like a bonus.

Passholders are also offered discounts on rooms. We bought APs because we knew we would be going twice in a one year period (since we have them, we're adding another trip!) I think once you reach 10 or 11 days in the park it is cheaper to buy APs. I compared the pricing for our family and the savings is HUGE. We also bought one Tables in Wonderland card for discounts on dining. That plus the AP room discount and savings in ticket prices has more than made up for the food we have purchased. I was worried about it because we have been 5 times in the past and always snagged free dining. We really haven't missed it though!

How much is the AP discount on rooms? Does it vary by resort? Is it a flat percentage? We are considering getting APs after the last kiddo graduates high school & we travel more often on long weekends.

How much is the AP discount on rooms? Does it vary by resort? Is it a flat percentage? We are considering getting APs after the last kiddo graduates high school & we travel more often on long weekends.
The AP discount percentage varies throughout the year, and is becoming less and less available at all, especially if you are set on specific travel days and/or a specific hotel. Also it is usually announced just a couple months or so in advance. If you're able to plan with that short notice and your travel dates are flexible, you have a better chance.

One other item to remember, the AP includes MemoryMaker, whcih for us is a huge bonus and part of our "savings" in getting the AP.
pooh:

I'm trying to find out what the current bounceback offer is-- does anyone know?

I'm trying to find out what the current bounceback offer is-- does anyone know?
It's room only discounts for dates into December. If you check The discount codes and rates section under The Resorts, you might find a thread that mentions exact dates.

We are planning a trip for this coming May, and are trying to decide if we should get annual passes for the first time ever, since we know we also want to visit again within a year for Mardi Gras 2018 (which will be in Feb). It would save us some money on tickets. However, I wonder if there is a possibility of being able to book a bounce back trip for Feb in which case we would have to buy a package with tickets, obviously making the annual pass not worth it. I have been reading that most often the bounce back offer is for free dining. Is this typically true, and what would be the better value? If we stay at a value resort in May, can we even book a bounce back for a moderate, or does the offer only apply to a future value resort stay?

A free dining bounceback is only typically bookable from mid August til the end of October. If you are going in May, the bounceback will be room discounts for dates into December, so there will be no bounceback available for you to book for February 2019 on your May trip.

For future reference, it doesn't matter which resort you are staying at. You can book for your bounceback anywhere you like if there is availability.

Thank you so much! If I already have a trip planned for that time (late May)- do you know if we can still apply the BB offer when we arrive in 2 weeks?
You mean book the BB offer for a late May trip during your upcoming trip in 2 weeks? As long as there is availability with your choice of dates and resorts, there shouldn't be a problem.

You mean book the BB offer for a late May trip during your upcoming trip in 2 weeks? As long as there is availability with your choice of dates and resorts, there shouldn't be a problem.

We already have a May trip booked, but didn't know if we could just apply the BB rate to the trip just like you can with the AP discount, or other discounts.

We already have a May trip booked, but didn't know if we could just apply the BB rate to the trip just like you can with the AP discount, or other discounts.

I think you have to book your BB before you leave or at least a day after you get home so if I'm reading your question right, I'm guessing no. Just so you know, AP discounts aren't always better than the general discount that is normally going on at the time. I've had an AP for about 5 years and go at least twice a year, some years 3 times, last year 4 times. The AP discount was better only once, normally I find the Orbitz discount stacked on top of the general discount saves me more. Also be aware that the restaurants that offer the AP discount are a moving target, we seem to be able to use the discount only once or twice for food during a trip. We also seem to shop for high ticket items that don't offer the discount (I collect masks from Italy). Buy your AP for ticket price only and Memory Maker if you normally buy that and you will be good to go.

Ah, ok. I couldn't tell from your previous post if planned trip meant actually reserved trip. I don't know if they can just apply the BB discount to a pre-existing reservation, might be easier to just book a new BB reservation if the dates and resort match up with your original reservation.

I used to think they could apply BB, AP, and other promotional discounts to pre-existing reservations, but I know that is no longer the case. They live in different "buckets", and apparently things aren't as fluid across them as you would think.

Regardless, good luck, and have fun on your trips! We actually booked 2 upcoming different trips under the BB offer during our January trip. I guess the fact we had upgraded to APs helped out. :teeth:

Ah, ok. I couldn't tell from your previous post if planned trip meant actually reserved trip. I don't know if they can just apply the BB discount to a pre-existing reservation, might be easier to just book a new BB reservation if the dates and resort match up with your original reservation.

I used to think they could apply BB, AP, and other promotional discounts to pre-existing reservations, but I know that is no longer the case. They live in different "buckets", and apparently things aren't as fluid across them as you would think.

Regardless, good luck, and have fun on your trips! We actually booked 2 upcoming different trips under the BB offer during our January trip. I guess the fact we had upgraded to APs helped out. :teeth:

LOL-- Yes, you figured it out! I guess I should have said it's a pre-existing reservation. I book through a travel agent and let her take care of the discounts- luckily, she has always been able to apply promotional discounts to pre-existing reservations-- and she was able to apply the AP discount to our May reservation. Last year we were lucky and got 30% off at GF, but this year the AP discount for the same time of year was not as good. Guess we'll see what happens-- if nothing else, might give me an excuse to book another trip!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!