Need some advice on Hawaiian Airline flights

I have never seen a $500 dollar flight and I have been checking for over a year now... Guess I live in the wrong place.. I live in Arkansas and we have to fly to a big city and transfer most of the time. guess that's why its higher..

I have never seen a $500 dollar flight and I have been checking for over a year now... Guess I live in the wrong place.. I live in Arkansas and we have to fly to a big city and transfer most of the time. guess that's why its higher..
That's probably it. Like I've said numerous times, round trip, we've found 500 frequently, more normal would be about 600 round trip.
I'd never be paying 900 to fly round trip, extra comfort or not. Get a good miles card, get their bonus, get a good flight and then use your miles to upgrade.

If I could go nonstop I would. But my only nonstop option is an hour away out of Dulles, and it's United. I refuse to fly them.

My only flights with Hawaiian were awful (and that was first class; from Seoul to Honolulu and then Honolulu to Las Vegas. AWFUL but it was horrible seats and flight attendants). I understand now they offer lie flat seats. I'd take them in a heartbeat.

No way would I do anything other than nonstop if you can. I fly a lot, and have done 3 1/2 hours to Dallas followed by 14 hours from there to Seoul. Lie flat seats on the long flight (along with Melatonin and a few glasses of wine; I slept like 6-7 hours at least).

I'm over 50 now so will not fly coach to Hawaii. $500 each way from east coast is a deal. You want extra legroom.

Look into your return flight. I cannot sleep in an airline seat overnight. I could get by when I was younger, but not now, I need a bed. If Hawaiian offers lie flat, consider it! Worth it!

It would be worth it if you value the extra 3 inches in leg room, extra movies/show, power, and boarding.

Everything else is the same as coach. Food, etc

I wish they threw in free check luggage for this option like some other airlines to make it more valuable.

I'd find out what plane you're going to be on before making a decision on whether to upgrade your seat or not. We flew from SEA to HNL in June on Hawaiian, and it was a single aisle Airbus A330. It was the smallest airplane seat I've ever sat in. Hopefully the plane from JFK is bigger, but if not I'd pay for the upgrade. I'm 6'2" btw.

Just wanted to resurrect this thread. The rates for JFK to Honolulu were just released and they are 1,100-$1,300 RT NS the end of June to July. Seems high...does anyone know if once they are released they settle down and we should wait? It is peak holiday season but seems very steep.

Last edited:
Just wanted to resurrect this thread. The rates for JFK to Honolulu were just released and they are 1,100-$1,300 RT NS the end of June to July. Seems high...does anyone know if once they are released they settle down and we should wait? It is peak holiday season but seems very steep.

We booked about 5 weeks after flights were released, and found that prices only increased. I'm guessing because more and more people booked over the next few months, so there was no incentive to lower prices. We traveled in September, which is a slow time of year.

IMO, those prices don't seem all that bad. We paid about $1000 RT from BUF-ATL-HNL, and that was 3 years ago during the slow month of September. I've checked the same route again within the last year or so, and prices were about $1100-$1300 as well.

Wow I had no idea it was so expensive to fly from the east coast to HI!

Wow I had no idea it was so expensive to fly from the east coast to HI!

Sadly, it is! 10+ hour flight for us :( One of the reasons we haven't been back yet - between DH and I, we're $2000+ in before we even set foot off the plane!

I think I am stuck a bit though at 7 months out. I don't want to book airfare before I am able to book Aulani. I would hate to have the tickets and not a place to stay

We are traveling with friends in October and some were able to get good fares 600$ return from the East Coast at about 4 months out. Not Hawaiian Air though and not non stop. On the other hand, we are flying from Europe and will spend some days in California before and after Hawaii, so were booking from West Coast. We booked just after release and never saw a cheaper fare. So, it can go both ways.

We are traveling with friends in October and some were able to get good fares 600$ return from the East Coast at about 4 months out. Not Hawaiian Air though and not non stop. On the other hand, we are flying from Europe and will spend some days in California before and after Hawaii, so were booking from West Coast. We booked just after release and never saw a cheaper fare. So, it can go both ways.
We unfortunately have to wait until the 7 month window opens before we purchase airline tickets. Hoping the 7 month is similar or lower o what we see now (10 month)

We unfortunately have to wait until the 7 month window opens before we purchase airline tickets. Hoping the 7 month is similar or lower o what we see now (10 month)
We were courageous and just got the airfare, but we are going in the off season and I had watched availability a year before, so knew that booking at 7 months was no problem. If it’s 10 months for you now, that means a June reservation. So, I would be more careful, too.

We were courageous and just got the airfare, but we are going in the off season and I had watched availability a year before, so knew that booking at 7 months was no problem. If it’s 10 months for you now, that means a June reservation. So, I would be more careful, too.
Yes, the end of June and beginning of July. Although I did look at the availability chart that was done by kind poster for Aulani and it does seem like I may be okay because we are looking for a 2 bedroom oceanview but I am scared to pull the trigger on the airfare before the trade comes through. Perhaps I should be courageous! It is just scary because it is for 5 people including interisland air so it is a CHUNK of change and itinerary changes seem very expensive with Hawaiian Air

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts