Need some DL trip help.

Queen Quinnella

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip to DL for after Christmas/New Years. We have family that live in Pasadena and want to go the the Rose Parade on New Years day. We have been to WDW many times but DL is new to us. Which hotel is the best to stay at? We were thinking about a "good neighbor" hotel. Is there one that has a kitchenette? Or what are some of the favorites to stay at? How crowded are the parks at that time of year? How about the weather? Any help you give me will be great. Thanks!

Do you want to stay at a hotel near Disneyland in Anaheim, or near Pasadena?

There is a Residence Inn Maingate that is nicely landscaped, has a kitchen, and also offers hot breakfasts, and something light in the afternoon during the week. I think I have a link to it in the hotel thread stuck at the top.

Popular non-Disney hotels are: Candy Cane Inn (no kitchenette, but nice deluxe continental breakfast), the Howard Johnson (no kitchenette that I know of or any kind of breakfast, but the rooms are nice & so are the grounds), and the hotels right across the street that are within walking distance to Disneyland: Tropicana, BW Park Place Inn, Carousel Inn, Ramada Inn Maingate.

The Sheraton is more like a deluxe property and the rooms are very big, however, you have to ride the shuttle to Disneyland, and they do not have kitchenettes in their rooms.

I also recommend Embassy Suites South and Residence Inn-Resort area.

We are not familiar with CA at all. How far apart are Pasadena and Anaheim? I know we want to stay in the DL area while we are there and then maybe move closer to Pasadena or vice-versa but we have'nt decided when exactly we want to go (with the exception of New Years). What about the "official" DL hotels? Which one is the best deal?

Queen Quinnella said:
How crowded are the parks at that time of year? How about the weather?

This is the busiest week of the year for the DLR. DL will be very crowded, but fun and very lovely. New Year's Eve is generally the busiest day of the year (although this year, July 17th might beat it).
It is likely to rain at that time of year, but you may also hit some fairly nice weather. We often go right before Christmas (less crowded, but full of holiday magic), and my DS has gone swimming some years.

You aren't likely to find any good "deals" at the Disney hotels at that time of year. I think the DLH is the best for the money. The Paradise Pier is usually a little bit cheaper, but since DLH is a little closer and more fully themed, I think it's worth the extra money. The GC is the closest to the parks and is more luxurious, but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

New Year's is always crowded up until the weekend after, when most schools are back in session that following Monday.

Weather is a hit or miss. I've been there in Dec and Jan and had shorts on during the day, then I've also been there same time and had to stay bundled up.

Please note that the Rose Parade will actually be on Jan 2 next year. They will not have the parade or play the bowl game on a Sunday, so for 2006, it will be on Jan 2.

With the parade and game on the 2nd, that means the 1st and 3rd will be busy at DL/DCA. We always used to go on Jan. 2 and there were always lots of Rose Bowl football fans there. But, their buses usually left in the evening and then the parks weren't very crowded. It will take at least 30-45 minutes to get from Pasadena to DL - depends on the traffic. Have fun planning your trip!

we have been there 3 times in that week, we usually arrive on the 2nd or 3rd. Unlike WDW DL continues most of the holiday "extras" until the fifth or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter