Need Some Encouragement (or a splash of realism)

Also look into the Nike + training plans- I’m using it for my Nov half and it started me out really reasonable (10 min/15 min/20 min) and is slowly building-

For being a free program I’m loving it

I agree with everyone who suggested the Galloway method. When I registered for my first half marathon 5 years ago I was an avid walker, but had never run a step in my life! I knew there was no way I could maintain a 16 min pace for 13.1 miles by walking alone. So, I decided to do half and half. I trained for 8 months using the Galloway method and 1:1 min intervals. (I just doubled his plan, running each long run twice before upping the mileage.) I finished that half marathon in about 3 hours. If you commit to a training plan (and Galloway is VERY attainable for new “runners”), you CAN do this!

THANK YOU EVERYONE! This is all fantastic information and exactly what I needed to hear. I registered for the half and am going to research the Galloway method.

You can totally do it!!!! :)

I have always loved Disney, but runDisney brought a whole new dimension to it. A race at Disney? Sign me up! I went from a non-runner (maybe even an anti-runner?) to signing up for the WDW 2018 Half Marathon. I don't know why I chose a half marathon for my very first race... My plan was to walk the whole thing, but then I found out walking at that pace was harder for me than intervals. I ended up following the Galloway/runDisney training plan. I started out doing 15 seconds running, 45 seconds walking, and worked my way up. For the half, I started towards the back of the last corral doing 1 minute to 1 minute intervals, and finished in plenty of time. I was so glad I put the time in and trained. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I finished! So much that now I am signed up for the Wine and Dine Two Course Challenge!

Be warned: runDisney is super addictive!!

1. Define "mildly active non-runner". I dance, Zumba, bike ride, and walk. I'm active but I get winded easily and need to build up my cardio functionality. QUOTE]
Sorry, one more thought... I don't have asthma, but I do get winded easy too. I read somewhere that when running you should breathe in as you think to yourself the letters of the alphabet "A B C D," then breathe out "E F G." I don't know if it is the rhythm of it or what, but it was a game changer for me. No more getting winded!

I ended up following the Galloway/runDisney training plan. I started out doing 15 seconds running, 45 seconds walking, and worked my way up.

Thanks very much. This is exactly what I plan on doing. When did you start training for the 2018 half? Did you run any local races (5K/10K's) as you trained?

THANK YOU EVERYONE! This is all fantastic information and exactly what I needed to hear. I registered for the half and am going to research the Galloway method.
His website also contains a lot of useful information. Don't be afraid to ask questions here either. Even if you may be training or running by yourself, this community will be there at least in spirit.

I agree with everyone who suggested the Galloway method. When I registered for my first half marathon 5 years ago I was an avid walker, but had never run a step in my life! I knew there was no way I could maintain a 16 min pace for 13.1 miles by walking alone. So, I decided to do half and half. I trained for 8 months using the Galloway method and 1:1 min intervals. (I just doubled his plan, running each long run twice before upping the mileage.) I finished that half marathon in about 3 hours. If you commit to a training plan (and Galloway is VERY attainable for new “runners”), you CAN do this!
THis is a fantastic modification to the half training program. I’m considering the Princess Half in February and am using JF’s half training program now. I could easily double up on it to take it more slowly if necessary. I’m at week five, where @bumbershoot rightly said thing get harder. If my long run Sunday is really tough perhaps I can slow things down. I have the time. Thanks so much for this pointer. And to the OP: like you I’m new to running, but I’m 45! We can do it!

Thanks very much. This is exactly what I plan on doing. When did you start training for the 2018 half? Did you run any local races (5K/10K's) as you trained?

I started "training" in March. My original plan was to double the training plan, but fast walking resulted in hip flexor problems. I took a break until June-ish. That is when I started playing around with different run/walk intervals. I did that with no real structure or long runs until the Galloway training program started in September. After that I just stuck to the training plan. (I also really liked how following the training plan was kind of like a countdown to my Disney vacation... Another week of training done, another week closer to my trip!)

I did one Thanksgiving 5K during training. Mostly to get a taste of what a race is like. I read tons of info about runDisney races, and really did not feel out of place at all at the half.

Fall races are my favorite races because of the weather (not sure where you live) being milder than summer. So all the training I did in the hotter months pay off with me feeling like a super hero in the cooler weather.
My opinion is to sign up for at least 5k for the early fall and a 10k closer to Halloween or thanksgiving. If available to you. And don't worry about getting to the exact pace you want for the HM during those races...as you are still training. Focus more on completing those race distances and getting a feel for packet pickups, waiting for the start, getting drinks at aide stations, running with lots of people and having FUN!! And the confidence that you can do them is a big help.

I also wanted to add that although I'm a continuous runner...I'm so slow at walking. I can run a race at a good clip (for me) and struggle to walk a 16 min mile. I think adding some run/walk in will help you eventually get below that minimum pace and also still be ok for your asthma etc.

Good luck!!! (I signed up for the half too!)

My opinion is to sign up for at least 5k for the early fall and a 10k closer to Halloween or thanksgiving. If available to you. And don't worry about getting to the exact pace you want for the HM during those races...as you are still training. Focus more on completing those race distances and getting a feel for packet pickups, waiting for the start, getting drinks at aide stations, running with lots of people and having FUN!! And the confidence that you can do them is a big help.

I also wanted to add that although I'm a continuous runner...I'm so slow at walking. I can run a race at a good clip (for me) and struggle to walk a 16 min mile. I think adding some run/walk in will help you eventually get below that minimum pace and also still be ok for your asthma etc.

Good luck!!! (I signed up for the half too!)
Doing another race even (or maybe especially) if it's a shorter distance than your goal race is a great idea. Before my first half in 2011 I was terrified that I would not finish. So I didn't really tell anyone that I was running. I didn't want to face people and say that I failed. So between fear of failure and nervous energy, I started my first race off way too quickly and nearly injured myself. I started to feel a shin splint like pain less than 1 mile into the race. I realized that I had to slow down and let the race unfold. I wound up finishing almost 10 minutes faster than what I had trained at. In hindsight, if I had even one shorter race under my belt before that first one, I probably would have started the first race out at the appropriate pace and had a much more enjoyable race experience. Truthfully speaking, there were times after that first race where I figured I would never do a long distance race again. I only signed up for the 2012 Coast to Coast challenge because I wanted that Coast to Coast medal and decided that I could tolerate running that much 2 more times to get that medal and visit Walt Disney World again.

Now I had so much fun at the 2 Coast to Coast races (Disneyland Half and Wine & Dine Half for me) that I never dreaded signing up for a race again. I'm doing Dopey this January as part of my first marathon and while the distance intimidates me, it doesn't terrify me.

You can totally do it!!!! :)

I have always loved Disney, but runDisney brought a whole new dimension to it. A race at Disney? Sign me up! I went from a non-runner (maybe even an anti-runner?) to signing up for the WDW 2018 Half Marathon. I don't know why I chose a half marathon for my very first race... My plan was to walk the whole thing, but then I found out walking at that pace was harder for me than intervals. I ended up following the Galloway/runDisney training plan. I started out doing 15 seconds running, 45 seconds walking, and worked my way up. For the half, I started towards the back of the last corral doing 1 minute to 1 minute intervals, and finished in plenty of time. I was so glad I put the time in and trained. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I finished! So much that now I am signed up for the Wine and Dine Two Course Challenge!

Be warned: runDisney is super addictive!!
Hello!! I saw your response and can totally relate to this!! I am so anti-run but decided to sign up for the Princess Half with a friend of mine. (I think I temporarily lost my mind). Anyway, I’m registered now and I am hoping for some encouragement as well! I’d like to chat with you if possible!

I wanted to follow-up up and thank you all again. I've been using the Galloway method for 10 weeks now. Today I ran a mile in 8 minutes and 43 seconds. I'm enjoying running and cannot wait for the race in January. I'm already thinking about Goofy and someday Dopey. Thank you all for the extra push I needed.
-MG

I wanted to follow-up up and thank you all again. I've been using the Galloway method for 10 weeks now. Today I ran a mile in 8 minutes and 43 seconds. I'm enjoying running and cannot wait for the race in January. I'm already thinking about Goofy and someday Dopey. Thank you all for the extra push I needed.
-MG

You've got this in the bag. Keep up the consistent training, stay heathy, and I have no doubt you'll be able to finish the half marathon comfortably. An 8:43 mile time is great. If this weren't your first HM, then I'd probably say you would finish around a 2:15-2:45 (and that's with no additional improvement). (PS - Don't even worry about time goals on your first HM. Just soak it all in.) So if you continue to build your endurance slowly and trust the training, then I'm confident you'll find success on race day. Keep up the great work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter