Need Song of the South advice!!

I don't know if this is normal, but I had a dream that I went to Tokyo Disneyland and *bought* Song of the South on video/DVD/LaserDisk. And many of you guys almost did or did! OOOHHH! Scary....

Carolyn,

Mine was copied from a laser disc, because half way through the movie it pauses and switches to a blue screen which says "End of Side One." Then continues with the movie.
But it is still a really good quality tape. Hope this helps.
-Matt

I remember hearing somewhere that SOTS would be available this winter in Japan. Has anyone else heard this?? I've searched through the amazon.com sites for the UK, and Japan and all I can find is the PAL VHS in the UK.

Hi all, I finally got the Song of the South tape in its' disney blue case with a hologram from a client's mom who lives in England and she found it for me and sent it by mail. It was about $20-25 American dollars. But listen to this- I went to that site on the net I think it's called song of the south.net and it had been selling the pal tape and conversion copy for $72 but now it's about $144 because they wrote that disney has deleted the title (tape) and now the tape is much more rare. So, anybody who is on the fence should get it now. Maybe the amazon.com uk site is cheaper. I needed it for Christmas so I couldn't get it through them. I may not have it converted because I found out that there are vcr's that are universal and not all are expensive. Also, there is something you can do to the machine to make it play pal tapes. Merry Christmas! Carolyn from NJ

A plain NTSC VCR will not play PAL tapes period.

When shopping for a universal VCR, note that some of them will play PAL tapes only into a PAL TV (you will have to buy a new, PAL, TV as well) and NTSC tapes only into a NTSC TV. Some will play both kinds of tapes into both kinds of TV's (you can use your existing TV for both kinds' of tape playback).

Thanks for the info, but I wasn't talking about a plain vcr. I hope everyone out there who is interested in getting the original song of the south tape with the blue case with hologram and mickey imprint do it soon since according to that song of the south.net site, disney has deleted that tape even in England so the tapes are getting scarce. Good luck all and Merry Christmas!

We got our PAL SOS (new) from EBAY for around $20 (plus postage). It cost $20 to convert. The person who converted it from PAL to VHS told me they were allowed to legally copy it once.

The copy was great!

Year2late, thanks for the post and congratulations on your video. Buying it from a store such as I did in England, or from ebay where you are guaranteed satisfaction is the safe way to do it. With all due respect to the dis poster who emailed me direct, I did not feel comfortable buying the video from an individual who I do not know and sending the money to them first when they are not backed up by any store or other service such as ebay. I really really appreciate the help I received from this board. One person told me about a store in Florida that sells the tapes and others let me know other places that sold them. Those people were not looking to make a profit on me just to help. THanks, Carolyn

Word has it that Song Of The South may finally be released here in the US. Disney has added the title to it's online catalog of videos and has assigned it a UPC and ISBN number. I haven't been able to find out if the UPC and ISBN numbers are from international releases or perhaps for a future US release.

If anyone has an internationl release perhaps you could compare the ISBN numbers and UPC numbers and see if they are indeed the same as listed on the website, or if this is a hint that the movie may be released here in the US at last. :)

Here's a link: Song Of The South Disney Video Catalog

Everyone who has any interest in Song of the South should click on that link. There is a link on the page where it says "If you would like to see Disney release this in the future on video and DVD, click here to let us know. "

Send those requests, and maybe if demand is large enough they will release it.

Wow, illuminations25 and hopemax, thanks for that site and your posts. I checked it out and the upc number is not the same as the UPC number on my pal video of Song of the South that I received from England. I had previously called Disney entertainment and they have been getting alot of requests for this movie. I just mentioned in my vote for the release of the movie at that site, that it makes no sense not to. Gone with the Wind is a great movie but it too had a character(s) who was an African American slave. I don't think that either movie suggests that slavery was a good thing. I for one, detest the notion of slavery, but that's not what Song of the South or Gone with the Wind is primarily about, nor do the films promote it.

I wrote to disney stating that the only people they are helping by not releasing the film in the USA are those people making a bundle off of unfortunate disney fans.

Thanks again for the site and your posts. Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter