• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need suggestions on child friendly places to eat in San Francisco

4Ollies

Mouseketeer
We are doing DL Sunday-Thursday then driving up to a friend's in San Jose. Planning on spending a day in SF but haven't figured out where to eat yet. The boys are 6 (6 1/2 if you ask them) and are good about going to new places. Our friend there doesn't have children so she is kind of stumped.

We did SF last summer with a 10yo, 8yo & 7yo. Their favorite places to eat were Fisherman's Wharf and Little Italy.
Can't remember the exact names of the restaurants, but Fisherman's is fun because most of the restaurants have outside dining. My son loved looking at the crabs trying to crawl out of the tanks.
But if your kids don't like seafood, I'd recommend Little Italy - we just walked around and read the menus outside and then picked a restaurant. I don't think you can go wrong in SF - its known for its large amt of restaurants. Plus pasta usually works for kids!

Well, you can't go wrong with ice cream and chocolate at Ghiradelli Square near Fisherman's Wharf. Afterwards a long walk will work off all that sugar.

But if you and they are a bit adventurous, try visit the Ferry Building and enjoy sampling all of the various market shops there. They have a farmers market twice a week - Tues and Sat.

ferrybuildingmarketplace.com

And check out Taylors Refresher here! A wonderful place with plenty of space inside and out.

taylorsrefresher.com

Throw in a great view of the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island and the East Bay and you're all set.

Here is the family favorite:

Washington Street Restaurant and Bakery in China Town on Washington St.

This was the most fabulous meal, we are all still talking about it and it has been 2 years. Very family friendly and even tho we could not read the menu, our waiter was great. We gave him an idea of some of the things we like and he brought out the most wonderful spread. This was also one of the cheapest meals I have ever had in the city. My DD was about 7 at the time and was very concerned about what she was going to be fed, no worries, she was thrilled.

Our second choice is the clam chowder bread bowls and cracked crab from the outdoor vendors at the Wharf.

While in San Jose, I highly recommend a visit to the Ole Spaghetti Factory in downtown and the Childrens Museum is wonderful and well worth the trip.

As far as child "friendly", most restaurants here are great with kids.... there are tons of kids here and I can only think of a very few restaurants where I would not take them. If it is a very expensive place, then I don't bring the kids. Otherwise, everywhere is welcoming!

As far as a specific recommendation, it would depend on what part of the city you are in.

In Golden Gate park there is a great Children's playground (just keep an eye on them, it is big and has lots of exits)... the butterflys are at the Conservatory of Flowers now, the de Young art museum is there (mught be too young for this though)... if you do go to GGP there are lots of restaurants near 9th and Irving. Park Chow is good and kid friendly.

The Exploratorium is great, and you can walk up to Union Street and eat at any number of places, all very welcoming of kids! I like Left at Albequerque, but there are tons of places on Union, or even on Chestnut. Then you could go down and take a walk on Crissy Field and have a great view of the GG Bridge, hopefully it won't be too foggy!

Are you coming soon? Just remember to check the weather. It is often COLD here! Especially in the summer... layering clothing is KEY! :)

Enjoy the city! PM me if you have any more questions.

Oooh and I forgot if you go to the 9th and Irving area, go to Arizmendi bakery and pick up some scones and coffee cake! They also do pizza.... it's on 9th b/w Irving and Judah.

There is a Rainforest Cafe in SF. :) On Fishermans Wharf we really enjoyed the Hard Rock or Bubba Gump, they are both family friendly. If they like Italian the Stinking Rose is good and family friendly too. Are you looking for something in particular or just something fun?

Just looking for fun places to eat. We usually try not to eat anywhere that we can at home. The boys love Italian, Mexican, Chinese, sushi, steak, etc. Veggies are a whole other ballgame though depending on how they are cooked.

Our friend loved telling us what the weather was like while we were stuck due to an ice storm that knocked out the power for a week. LOL

My DDs really enjoyed the Boudin Bakery near Fisherman's Wharf. There're soup bread bowls, sandwiches made on freshly baked bread, and desserts.

My DDs really enjoyed the Boudin Bakery near Fisherman's Wharf. There're soup bread bowls, sandwiches made on freshly baked bread, and desserts.
My DH loves that place - he prefers chili in his bread bowl (freak of nature, what can I say:rolleyes: ) they also have pizza made on sour dough crust

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter