Nervous mom, need advice on Spring Break stay...

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
Excited to have one daughter in her first Disney College Program, she's loving it and working very hard, she's a sophomore in college and her younger sister (a freshman at the same school) wants to drive down with 2 friends to spend 3 nights so they can see her sister in action :). We live over in Texas and can't make this trip. Not worried at all for these girls, all Disney nuts and no drinkers, but the area and them being on their own concerns me. The oldest in the group will be 20.
Dd at DCP is trying to check the HUB daily for discounts, but the only thing popping up is Animation Deluxe room even with her discount running $250 a night!! No go. I tried calling Clarion LBV, but they've blacked out the week these girls need to go. They're all college students and on meager budgets...are there any other booking strategies to consider that would allow a 20 year old to book the room? Most hotels there accept 18 years old, but if I look at timeshares and such, I figured they would want them to be at least 21. They're spending all their time at the parks and Disney Springs, just want to be close to there so they don't have to do a lot of driving.
I usually book Hilton, but the room I got for $54 just last week is showing $183! Anyone have experience booking last minute for Spring Break weeks? March 10-18...any 3 night combo during these dates. Thanks!! I had to fly down last minute bc dd came down with bad flu/strep...it's going around through all the CPers...it's awful!

Tough week. Not much available.

Try this ... we have done it for airfare with GREAT success.

Open GOOGLE, then type in Lake Buena Vista, FL.

Click on map to the right to open.

On left look for the "nearby" and click that, type in hotels.

Up will come hotels and at top of left column, you type in the dates.

As you move around the map you see lots of options.

There are several on 192 WEST of I-4 that are reasonable and a safe enough area.
DS has stayed there often with teams and my DD stayed there when a CP, and couldn't get good discount.
But if it's not much more to be in a more desirable area, I'd pay the difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My DS stayed at Baymont Inn & Suites in CELEBRATION
I played with some dates there and got March 15-18 to come up $104.
This hotel has all your basics, and is by back entrance to AK.
Those were only dates that came up available.
Minimum age should be 18 there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another option is the lower tier of the Rosens. Not sure you are familiar with the brand but they own Rosen Plaza, Rosen Centre, Rosen Shingle Creek (beautiful) and part of the Rosen College of Hospitality through UCF considered one of top in country. They utilize all their hotels for student training.

They bought up a bunch of the smaller hotels on International Drive and compiled them into a big campus of rooms. DS has stayed in them last few years with groups of high school kids and feels like they are safe in the area. He also said they were clean and well maintained. If they will have a car to drive to parks this is an option. I just looked and rooms look to be about $80 per night. No extra fees and parking is gated.

https://www.roseninn9000.com/

2017-02-01-09-45-37.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a couple of ideas for you :) Anytime you stay away from a Friday or Saturday night stay you will save money.

Try the Trivago search engine. You can set lots of filters to narrow down the neighborhood, star level, guest rating etc. and it will display several "deals" per hotel. I was able to find the Clarion LBV 3/13-3/16 for 3 people for $90/night through Clarion. I just chose that hotel since you had mentioned it in your post. (We've stayed there many times and found it to be safe and a convenient location. We've also stayed at the Hilton at DS and Hampton Inn LBV. Port Orleans, and POP.)

I also use Tripadvisor to book rooms. Using "Disney Springs" in the search window the Clarion LBV came up at $71/night for the same dates as above. You can also sort by distance, price, traveler ranking etc. FYI-All Star Movies came up at $164/night for same dates. I love using Tripadvisor!

You could always try Priceline--you don't have to bid--they also just display hotels with prices. But, if you really need to save money bidding is the way to go. I've also used Cheaptickets or Orbitz --make sure you use the extra discount code found under the "deals" tab on their sites. I've had many positive experiences with them also. Recently I came across some pretty good deals on Groupon--however, in my experience--Groupon reservations are more difficult to change.

Good luck and I hope they have a magical trip! :)

I would keep looking for onsite. There's cancellations all the time. I think it's safer to be onsite.

If the room is divided three ways it shouldn't be too bad. Do a look on the regular Disney site to see what's available. Try the preferred room locations; there may be more availability. Don't be fussy on the room. We stay at All Star Sports when we want to be cheaper.

I would tend to think weekdays would be easier to get like Tuesday through Thursday or Monday through Wednesday.

No real advice here, I just want to say what a fun fun fun memory they'll be making! Even if they're jammed into a less than stellar and less than large room, they will have a blast and make memories that will last a lifetime. Trusting that they'll be fine and making good choices will go a long way in them learning how capable and independent they are. I'm ever thankful that my parents trusted me in situations that I'm not so sure of now that I'm a parent of a teen!

The Disney Springs area seems like it would be an ideal fit if you can find a good rate!

Last edited:
Just curious how you would modify this to apply for airfare. Thanks.

Open google and in your bar just type "City Name to City Name"

A box should be first with the basics, click on the title link

Then a column comes up on the left that lets you put in dates, stops etc.

You get a long listing of options and filters, airlines etc and there is a month calendar if you click on the dates so you can see rates if you shift by a day or so.

DS was going to Paris in the fall and was flexible on days. He used this and by refreshing was able to get a great fare after a few weeks. What had been $1100 when he started looking he bought at $400. One stop in Canada. He's always finding great rates and it's so easy because once you see what you like you click on Book link and it takes you direct to the airline, all populated with the flight.

Just curious how you would modify this to apply for airfare. Thanks.

Try Google Flights! You can add/subtract cities around your home airport to check flight prices and you can track flights and they will notify you when there is a change in price. I use this tool when trying to get my flights to Florida. I track the flights to see if it is more economical for me to fly out of MKE/ORD/MDW and arrive either in MCO/TPA/Sanford.

Oh, OK. Yes, I'm familiar with Google flights. I thought you were saying there was a way to do it using the maps.

Tough week. Not much available.

Try this ... we have done it for airfare with GREAT success.

Open GOOGLE, then type in Lake Buena Vista, FL.

Click on map to the right to open.

On left look for the "nearby" and click that, type in hotels.

Up will come hotels and at top of left column, you type in the dates.

As you move around the map you see lots of options.

There are several on 192 WEST of I-4 that are reasonable and a safe enough area.
DS has stayed there often with teams and my DD stayed there when a CP, and couldn't get good discount.
But if it's not much more to be in a more desirable area, I'd pay the difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My DS stayed at Baymont Inn & Suites in CELEBRATION
I played with some dates there and got March 15-18 to come up $104.
This hotel has all your basics, and is by back entrance to AK.
Those were only dates that came up available.
Minimum age should be 18 there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another option is the lower tier of the Rosens. Not sure you are familiar with the brand but they own Rosen Plaza, Rosen Centre, Rosen Shingle Creek (beautiful) and part of the Rosen College of Hospitality through UCF considered one of top in country. They utilize all their hotels for student training.

They bought up a bunch of the smaller hotels on International Drive and compiled them into a big campus of rooms. DS has stayed in them last few years with groups of high school kids and feels like they are safe in the area. He also said they were clean and well maintained. If they will have a car to drive to parks this is an option. I just looked and rooms look to be about $80 per night. No extra fees and parking is gated.

https://www.roseninn9000.com/

2017-02-01-09-45-37.jpg
How does this work with airfare?

How does this work with airfare?

Here ...

Open google and in your bar just type "City Name to City Name"

A box should be first with the basics, click on the title link

Then a column comes up on the left that lets you put in dates, stops etc.

You get a long listing of options and filters, airlines etc and there is a month calendar if you click on the dates so you can see rates if you shift by a day or so.

DS was going to Paris in the fall and was flexible on days. He used this and by refreshing was able to get a great fare after a few weeks. What had been $1100 when he started looking he bought at $400. One stop in Canada. He's always finding great rates and it's so easy because once you see what you like you click on Book link and it takes you direct to the airline, all populated with the flight.

I've got a couple of ideas for you :) Anytime you stay away from a Friday or Saturday night stay you will save money.

Try the Trivago search engine. You can set lots of filters to narrow down the neighborhood, star level, guest rating etc. and it will display several "deals" per hotel. I was able to find the Clarion LBV 3/13-3/16 for 3 people for $90/night through Clarion. I just chose that hotel since you had mentioned it in your post. (We've stayed there many times and found it to be safe and a convenient location. We've also stayed at the Hilton at DS and Hampton Inn LBV. Port Orleans, and POP.)

I also use Tripadvisor to book rooms. Using "Disney Springs" in the search window the Clarion LBV came up at $71/night for the same dates as above. You can also sort by distance, price, traveler ranking etc. FYI-All Star Movies came up at $164/night for same dates. I love using Tripadvisor!

You could always try Priceline--you don't have to bid--they also just display hotels with prices. But, if you really need to save money bidding is the way to go. I've also used Cheaptickets or Orbitz --make sure you use the extra discount code found under the "deals" tab on their sites. I've had many positive experiences with them also. Recently I came across some pretty good deals on Groupon--however, in my experience--Groupon reservations are more difficult to change.

Good luck and I hope they have a magical trip! :)
Tripadvisor rocks! They have the lists, food information and everything you need to help plan.

I'm going to try TripAdvisor! I've been writing reviews for years, but haven't really used it for the past 3 years, didn't realize I could book through them, love the tip on Rosen! Because it's Spring Break I'm just really concerned about crazy revelers, but surely, they'll be at the beaches, right?? :) I just wish I could send their big brother with him to make me feel better :) DD is still checking the Hub nightly for an opening at Value Disney resorts, but even with her discount, rates are about $300 a night?? For value!!

I'm going to try TripAdvisor! I've been writing reviews for years, but haven't really used it for the past 3 years, didn't realize I could book through them, love the tip on Rosen! Because it's Spring Break I'm just really concerned about crazy revelers, but surely, they'll be at the beaches, right?? :) I just wish I could send their big brother with him to make me feel better :) DD is still checking the Hub nightly for an opening at Value Disney resorts, but even with her discount, rates are about $300 a night?? For value!!

When our DD did the DCP and we needed a room - there would be cancellations - even closer to the date. I would have your DD keep checking. I agree - staying on property would be best.

Those rates with her discount are crazy pants!!!

Update:
Most the hotels that offer CM discounts aren’t allowing for much of spring break, but I was able to find a room at the Radisson (with CM discount) on Apopka/Vineland for $99 a night. I’ll keep having daughter check for Value resort, but happy to find a hotel that has interior rooms. Hope this helps someone else checking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter