New buses coming soon

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
Haven't seen this mentioned yet:

It's been reported by several drivers that somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 new buses are on the way this year. I've heard the first should arrive this month, with delivery expected to continue thru September. It can take a few weeks to months after delivery to get new buses outfitted and registered.

They'll probably be the same model as the last order. Some may replace the oldest buses in the fleet, but I don't think there are 80 buses ready for retirement, so there should be a net increase in fleet size.

The 2-digit year of delivery follows the bus number painted on the exterior.

Thanks @joelkfla - hopefully they are not just replacements but addition to the fleet. With these and the gondolas hopefully Disney can not only be prepared for Star Wars opening but staying on top of some of the transportation issues that seem to frustrate many guests.

Thanks, joelkfla.

I was just got back from WDW and I was staying at Pop Century Resort. I rode the articulated bus several times. If you remember the interior, besides the two fold up the section of seats for wheelchairs or mobility scooter, do you remember that flat backboard near the front?

One bus driver asked me to use it and all I had to do was back up my wheelchair into the backrest. There was a grab bar on the left side attached to the wall and a fold-down grab bar on my right.

I was told that it was just for fixed back, power wheelchairs.

Some other drivers said that they don't use them because there are no restraints for this particular set up.

I understand this point.

Do you have any thoughts or info about this particilar back board area?

It's been reported by several drivers that somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 new buses are on the way this year. I've heard the first should arrive this month, with delivery expected to continue thru September. It can take a few weeks to months after delivery to get new buses outfitted and registered.

They'll probably be the same model as the last order. Some may replace the oldest buses in the fleet, but I don't think there are 80 buses ready for retirement, so there should be a net increase in fleet size.

Thanks, joelkfla.

I was just got back from WDW and I was staying at Pop Century Resort. I rode the articulated bus several times. If you remember the interior, besides the two fold up the section of seats for wheelchairs or mobility scooter, do you remember that flat backboard near the front?

One bus driver asked me to use it and all I had to do was back up my wheelchair into the backrest. There was a grab bar on the left side attached to the wall and a fold-down grab bar on my right.

I was told that it was just for fixed back, power wheelchairs.

Some other drivers said that they don't use them because there are no restraints for this particular set up.

I understand this point.

Do you have any thoughts or info about this particilar back board area?
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I didn't drive the artics very much because of my schedule and base locations, but I don't recall ever using it because there are far more ecv's riding the buses than there are wheelchairs.

As I understand it, the idea is that the backrest will stop the chair from tipping in an emergency stop or forward collision, and the chair's brake should be enough to hold it in place during forward acceleration. A power chair's low center of gravity should stop it from tipping sideways or forwards. I don't think they were suitable for ecv's, because ecv's have tiny wheels and don't have all that weight at the bottom, so they're much more tippy.

It seemed a bit sketchy, but if it it was good enough for the DOT, it was OK with me.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I didn't drive the artics very much because of my schedule and base locations, but I don't recall ever using it because there are far more ecv's riding the buses than there are wheelchairs.

As I understand it, the idea is that the backrest will stop the chair from tipping in an emergency stop or forward collision, and the chair's brake should be enough to hold it in place during forward acceleration. A power chair's low center of gravity should stop it from tipping sideways or forwards. I don't think they were suitable for ecv's, because ecv's have tiny wheels and don't have all that weight at the bottom, so they're much more tippy.

It seemed a bit sketchy, but if it it was good enough for the DOT, it was OK with me.

It was always up to the driver if he/she felt comfortable using it, of course with guest permission too. I never used it when I drove those, just for safety of course.

It is going to be nice they are getting another order of bus's. I know Disney needs them, but there are some that need to go...all those Nova buses are horrible...they leak, and a pain to drive sometimes. The time is done for those. Disney's third key is "Show"...and to me, those bus's are not Show worthy.

For me they were always a pain and in certain conditions, scary to drive. My least favorite bus. I preferred the long gone RTS buses over the Nova buses.IMO, they haven't been Show worthy for over a decade. Good ridden.

I came in way after the RTS's were gone, so never got the pleasure to drive those. The best ones to drive are the Gillig's with numbers between 5010-the new artics. Just IMO.

They were ordered about a year ago. Gillig takes a year from order to delivery. Plus the have to be driven from California to Florida.

I was trained and took the CDL test, I assume Joelkfla did too, on a RTS bus.
Yep. I always though it was kinda silly to study the details of the RTS engine compartment when they were already outnumbered by Nova's & Gilligs.

I also got to deal with the Great Cockroach Invasion on the RTS's. ("Indy, why is the floor moving?" :) )

Yep. I always though it was kinda silly to study the details of the RTS engine compartment when they were already outnumbered by Nova's & Gilligs.
They didn't ask me anything about the engine during the road test. In fact they hardly asked me anything at all. The test was over in ten minutes. I think the fix was in because they were even more desperate for drivers at that time. They split up the rest of my training, and all the drivers that came in at about the same time, into two installments three months apart. I was dispatched to only half of the resorts for the first three months. Never was trained for the Fort.
I also got to deal with the Great Cockroach Invasion on the RTS's.
Maybe I started after you and they had gotten some Raid by then.

Maybe I started after you and they had gotten some Raid by then.
When you started an RTS in the dark, you'd gingerly walk on, start the engine, turn on the lights, and then jump off for 5 minutes until they'd all retreated to their hiding places. Some drivers reported them running up their legs.

Managers said, "How do you know they're cockroaches? They're just bugs." Like New Yawkers don't know cockroaches when they see 'em. And like it mattered what exact species they were.

When you started an RTS in the dark, you'd gingerly walk on, start the engine, turn on the lights, and then jump off for 5 minutes until they'd all retreated to their hiding places. Some drivers reported them running up their legs.
That's crazy, do you remember about when that was?

That's crazy, do you remember about when that was?
Not exactly sure, but I think it was soon after I started, which would be 2007 or 2008. Driving nights at MK, we'd park the buses in the dimly-lit Pluto lot for breaks and ride the shuttle in. I always dreaded going back to a dark RTS after the break.

Not exactly sure, but I think it was soon after I started, which would be 2007 or 2008.
I began driving in 08.

For those wondering which bus is the RTS model, here it is below..

Maybe it's just me but I thought it had the best lines of the three models. It wasn't just a rectangular box like the newer buses. And unlike the newer buses it had more seats than standing room. I liked the the higher drivers position.

Overall, the new buses, the Gilligs, are a better bus They're capable of carrying more passengers, albeit because of fewer seats, they have a better ride, are quieter, easier boarding for both people and ECVs. Most drivers prefer the Gilligs. Oh, and no cockroaches.

enhance

Since there seems to be a WDW bus driver or two around this thread...

Curious as to whether having a CDL with a passenger endorsement is sufficient to work in FL, or for WDW specifically. Specifically have wondered if WDW drivers require additional certification alongside whatever in-house training is offered.

Since there seems to be a WDW bus driver or two around this thread...

Curious as to whether having a CDL with a passenger endorsement is sufficient to work in FL, or for WDW specifically. Specifically have wondered if WDW drivers require additional certification alongside whatever in-house training is offered.

CDL Class B with a P endorsement is all that is required for WDW. Even if you go in with it you have to complete Disney's full training program including a DOT test (pre-trip, skills and road trip) with an examiner. Bus drivers go through one of (if not the) longest training programs at WDW.

CDL Class B with a P endorsement is all that is required for WDW. Even if you go in with it you have to complete Disney's full training program including a DOT test (pre-trip, skills and road trip) with an examiner. Bus drivers go through one of (if not the) longest training programs at WDW.

Here, I believe A or B qualifies as long as one has the P endorsement.

Great level of responsibility needed for that job. It is very good to hear of the training & testing disney has in place.

It is true! Most of the time it was actually a really fun job! I truly enjoyed most of my time, even closing down MK late at night! Loved working the late bid as running the westclock shuttle, everyone kept to themselves, every CM said please and thank you when they boarded/disembarked, and it was relaxing, even though it was a 7 minute route. Late night was always best.

Also, there was no time limit you had to work before you could leave the company with the CDL. Few guys in my class got the CDL, left, and went to MEARS. Saw them a couple times on their routes for DME. They were enjoying that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter