New Credit Card Authorization Holds

I’m understanding that When you go over the initial $100 the hold goes on..
on page 28 of this thread I asked the same question as the pp and someone replied it was instant after they went over $100.
Maybe it’s a case where people are having different experiences...?
Must be.

If only they could fix their system so they could put the remaining amount (if it came from a gift card) onto a NEW gift card, then yes. Sounds like the reason they don't allow people to pre-load their gift cards onto their resort account is that people weren't hanging onto the physical card, which Disney's system works by putting refunds back to the original form of payment (including the actual gift card that was used).
You can easily put it back onto another card, just make sure the last card you used was registered on disneygiftcard.com, then you can register a new one and put it on there.

Disney should let people know that they need to hold onto that gift card as well.

I’m understanding that When you go over the initial $100 the hold goes on..
on page 28 of this thread I asked the same question as the pp and someone replied it was instant after they went over $100.
Maybe it’s a case where people are having different experiences...?
They put a $100 hold the second you check in, then if you exceed that $100 in charges, they will put a new $100 hold on and come day 5 they will charge your balance, but depending on your bank the holds may or may not have dropped off yet.

Didn’t someone earlier in this thread comment that the Disney Chase VISA credit card had the hold take a long time to disappear? I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered that because it made me roll my eyes. Of course Disney comes up with the plan and their branded Visa doesn’t handle it well. I know they don’t directly run the Visa, just brand it, but still...
I know the holds on mine take a long time if I remember correctly 5 business days with my Disney Visa

You can easily put it back onto another card, just make sure the last card you used was registered on disneygiftcard.com, then you can register a new one and put it on there.

Disney should let people know that they need to hold onto that gift card as well.
I don't think the front desk ever mentioned it to me when I paid my room charges off, but the automated phone system always has a clause like "Please ensure you keep any gift card used during this transaction. If a change is made to your reservation, any remaining balance will be returned to the original gift card used.

They need a loyalty program that keeps the charging as it was for frequent guests who have not defaulted on payment. I mean, if I’ve always paid my bill for 11 trips I am low risk. Many of us fall into this category I’d bet. Either that or get their crap together.

I think this is something that should be something that WDW should consider... most companies do value loyalty --- whether it is Amazon through Prime or points plans/loyalty plans for your local grocery/drug store, etc..., or even your bank... if you have a long standing relationship (which for WDW is trace-able through your MDE/Disney account/email) this $100 thing seems too heavy handed. It's such a low amount that it seems that many WDW visitors who charge to their resort would surpass easily in a day --- $100 doesn't go far if you have 3 or 4 or more people using bands to pay for meals, snacks, souvenirs, etc....

For us we'll likely not bother with using the Magic bands to charge in the future --- if using the actual credit card results in only actual charges it seems way more practical to do it that way. I do think we'll spend less on future trips as carrying cash is a pain --- and because there are some things we buy on bands that we wouldn't necessarily do with cash --- snacks mostly. Also for many foreign visitors the the issue isn't the "unlimited" spending potential of a credit card but the convenience of not having to get and carry foreign currency --- non-US cards do often handle holds/authorizations differently and may be more likely to trigger fraud alerts for multiple charges or authorizations for a specific amount.

They put a $100 hold the second you check in, then if you exceed that $100 in charges, they will put a new $100 hold on and come day 5 they will charge your balance, but depending on your bank the holds may or may not have dropped off yet.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly. We plan to pay our balance with gift cards. We check into Pop on the 21st, and check out on the 26th, checking into Poly that same day...if I understand correctly, when I do online check-in, I'll have a hold of $100 placed. Throughout our stay at pop, we'll charge to our room, having holds (not charges) placed on our card for those amounts. As long as I go down to the front desk on the evening of the 25th (4 days into trip - or is it actually 5? Night before check-out at Pop), and pay off our charges with the gift cards, I should never see an actual charge, correct? Repeat the process when we check into Poly. We have plenty of CC limit - we don't use cards other than for travel and we always pay off right away, so the holds are not bothersome to us.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly. We plan to pay our balance with gift cards. We check into Pop on the 21st, and check out on the 26th, checking into Poly that same day...if I understand correctly, when I do online check-in, I'll have a hold of $100 placed. Throughout our stay at pop, we'll charge to our room, having holds (not charges) placed on our card for those amounts. As long as I go down to the front desk on the evening of the 25th (4 days into trip - or is it actually 5? Night before check-out at Pop), and pay off our charges with the gift cards, I should never see an actual charge, correct? Repeat the process when we check into Poly. We have plenty of CC limit - we don't use cards other than for travel and we always pay off right away, so the holds are not bothersome to us.
My concern is that lots of random holds may trigger a fraud alert. The last thing I want to do is deal with lengthy calls to my cc company while on vacation.
My available credit is not the issue. I think I've decided to just pay at point of service and keep things simpler.

My concern is that lots of random holds may trigger a fraud alert. The last thing I want to do is deal with lengthy calls to my cc company while on vacation.
My available credit is not the issue. I think I've decided to just pay at point of service and keep things simpler.
That is exactly what my concern is. I am not dealing with my CC company for possible fraud while at Disney just because a Disney policy has haywire. Or, getting my card declined at a restaurant, etc. There are more possible hassles than just a credit limit problem.

Yes, you are correct.

They need a loyalty program that keeps the charging as it was for frequent guests who have not defaulted on payment. I mean, if I’ve always paid my bill for 11 trips I am low risk. Many of us fall into this category I’d bet. Either that or get their crap together.

I would imagine it would be VERY VERY easy to flag someones account as a loyalty member and frequent guest. Heck, before I even walk through the door of a hotel they know I am there so this should be very easy.

I am a Florida resident, AP holder, and DVC member. That alone should be enough for not having any holds on my cards.

I am a Florida resident, AP holder, and DVC member. That alone should be enough for not having any holds on my cards.

So by that logic the rest of us have to pay the price for your "loyalty" pffft...........nonsense, it is either for everyone or nobody, this only a start of issues with a loyalty program.........Now if you are talking about discounts for frequenting Disney more then........

I would imagine it would be VERY VERY easy to flag someones account as a loyalty member and frequent guest. Heck, before I even walk through the door of a hotel they know I am there so this should be very easy.

So by that logic the rest of us have to pay the price for your "loyalty" pffft...........nonsense, it is either for everyone or nobody, this only a start of issues with a loyalty program.........Now if you are talking about discounts for frequenting Disney more then........

I don't see how you interpret that as other people paying for someone's loyalty? It's simply the idea that if someone has a proven history with Disney and have always paid their bills upon discharge, they would be "rewarded" by having the old, non oddly implemented way of charging back to the room instead of the new method with multiple holds. I don't think Disney will do this, but after many, many stays with lots of charges and never once stiffing them :laughing: I also wouldn't mind if they did it.

FWIW, I wish Disney did have a loyalty program, with other perks/benefits, but that's a different story...

I don't see how you interpret that as other people paying for someone's loyalty?..

Again by that blind logic if someone has gone to Disney once then they are a loyal/repeat customer....then that includes about almost everyone on earth, now we are back in the same boat.......nonsense....again keep it for everyone, the same way.....now if Disney does a "member" club, like cruise lines, small discounts for the more times one goes, then go for it......dont penalize someone for not going to Disney every 6 months......

Again by that blind logic if someone has gone to Disney once then they are a loyal/repeat customer....then that includes about almost everyone on earth, now we are back in the same boat.......nonsense....again keep it for everyone, the same way.....now if Disney does a "member" club, like cruise lines, small discounts for the more times one goes, then go for it......dont penalize someone for not going to Disney every 6 months......

I see your point about when would they have enough history and credit built up for Disney to trust them, not stiffing them after one visit is not the same as not stiffing them after say 30 visits over 10 years! I don't think we actually disagree all that much, I just see it more as a reward for those with a proven track record, and you seem to see it from the other side as punishment for those who don't go as frequently. I go quite a bit and have for 35 years, do you not? That would explain our different POVS :upsidedow. If you do, since I see you have been a member here since 2003, then I guess we just look at it differently.

Also, this is a moot point, because I don't think they would ever do it this way and actually don't even know if I think they should. I just think they need a consistent and simple way to ensure people can pay their room charges at the end of the stay without the craziness I've been reading about happening. I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to be left with the old way and not mess with the change if offered, though :D

I see your point about when would they have enough history and credit built up for Disney to trust them, not stiffing them after one visit is not the same as not stiffing them after say 30 visits over 10 years! I don't think we actually disagree all that much, I just see it more as a reward for those with a proven track record, and you seem to see it from the other side as punishment for those who don't go as frequently. I go quite a bit and have for 35 years, do you not? That would explain our different POVS :upsidedow. If you do, since I see you have been a member here since 2003, then I guess we just look at it differently.

Also, this is a moot point, because I don't think they would ever do it this way and actually don't even know if I think they should. I just think they need a consistent and simple way to ensure people can pay their room charges at the end of the stay without the craziness I've been reading about happening. I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to be left with the old way and not mess with the change if offered, though :D

Good point of view, we have been to WDW 3 other times as we are west coasters, now Disneyland, about 8 times......

Consistent and fair way to pay for the room charges is all we are asking for here, seems like Disney forgets at times that we are the customer as most big companies do, you are right there and this is craziness.....

The only thing that I can see as not being indicative of paying is because:

1) who pays for things is private/personal
2) is there a legacy program that would be put in place (meaning counting on-site stays when you were a kid) or are visits started once you're age 18 (the age at which you can book a Disney room in your name)
3) people's financial situations change overtime
4) Staying onsite is different than going to the parks and visiting. This policy is for on-site resort stays and doesn't have anything to do with how often/frequently you've visited the theme parks.
5) etc.

I do understand the thoughtprocess behind loyalty program with the holds and don't personally have a true issue with the idea because I think the point of why Disney did this is to ensure payment occurs but I also understand the PP's point of loyalty.

If you're going by proven track record the issue is
1) looking at how many times the exact same person stayed at Disney's resorts and was the payee of the room. Otherwise you're going to fall into a gray area. If one time your parents paid well that's not your track record. If one time your grandparents paid well that's not your track record.
2) If you had less cash flow and those holds present much more of a burden because of your credit limit or finances in your account that doesn't necessarily mean you're unable to pay and the converse also doesn't mean you're neccessarily going to be able to pay (sometimes people with high limits on cards put a lot on them too, sometimes people with high cash flow spend that cash flow on other things).
3) Age at which you count it, etc

*I do understand it was a hypothetical situation/wish about the loyalty program just discussing my viewpoint.

Totally agree on the consistency front though for sure.

The only thing that I can see as not being indicative of paying is because:

1) who pays for things is private/personal
2) is there a legacy program that would be put in place (meaning counting on-site stays when you were a kid) or are visits started once you're age 18 (the age at which you can book a Disney room in your name)
3) people's financial situations change overtime
4) Staying onsite is different than going to the parks and visiting. This policy is for on-site resort stays and doesn't have anything to do with how often/frequently you've visited the theme parks.
5) etc.

I do understand the thoughtprocess behind loyalty program with the holds and don't personally have a true issue with the idea because I think the point of why Disney did this is to ensure payment occurs but I also understand the PP's point of loyalty.

If you're going by proven track record the issue is
1) looking at how many times the exact same person stayed at Disney's resorts and was the payee of the room. Otherwise you're going to fall into a gray area. If one time your parents paid well that's not your track record. If one time your grandparents paid well that's not your track record.
2) If you had less cash flow and those holds present much more of a burden because of your credit limit or finances in your account that doesn't necessarily mean you're unable to pay and the converse also doesn't mean you're neccessarily going to be able to pay (sometimes people with high limits on cards put a lot on them too, sometimes people with high cash flow spend that cash flow on other things).
3) Age at which you count it, etc

*I do understand it was a hypothetical situation/wish about the loyalty program just discussing my viewpoint.

Totally agree on the consistency front though for sure.

All very good points, and reasons it would't work or would be very difficult - and I don't trust Disney to roll out something very difficult. Would it only be lead guest, or all adult guests? What if multiple rooms and one person paid for them all? Loss of job. New, better job. Met someone who is less scrupulous than you. All reasons someone could have a good track record but still not pay and have their method of deciding backfire on them, or reasons you don't fall into their "safe" category and you would feel you should. Although, presumably, there still should be less problems than prior when it was free for all up to the set charging limits at each resort category.

I don't think having a loyalty program would be impossible, and it shouldn't be difficult for them, but it would have nothing to do with the discussion or thread at hand. It could be based on nights on property if it was going to be resort room based. Or weigh the cost or level of the room if they wanted to reward more for CL than deluxe than moderate than value, etc...Or money spent if they wanted to go resort wide. They would have to decide what they were going to reward, and what the rewards would be. Airlines do it. Rental car companies do it. Cruise lines do it. restaurants do it. Most hotel chains do it. I'm sure Disney could come up with something if they wanted to. I know I certainly couldn't, and it wouldn't be easy to implement, but I'm sure THEY could if they wanted to. They clearly don't want to. They do want to for cruises and ABD for some reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter