New DCL App

My IT DH and friends were able to get notifications set up for us on the app, though I'm not sure if had to keep the app in the foreground to receive. I know some people say they are unable to receive notifications at all, but I know we did get them.

Seems like every time I have cruised and used this app for texting on the ship, I have had at least one instance where my message was not delivered or a reply was not delivered to me in a timely manner.

It bugs me the most when I am trying to get a hold of one of my kids. When they don't reply, I have no idea if a.) they never got my original message; b.) they replied but I just never received it; c.) they received my message but didn't see it/didn't bother replying yet; or, worst-case, d.) they received my message but were unable to reply.

Everything was fine, of course, but reliable and instant delivery of messages is kind of the heart of texting/chatting, y'know?

Seems like every time I have cruised and used this app for texting on the ship, I have had at least one instance where my message was not delivered or a reply was not delivered to me in a timely manner.

It bugs me the most when I am trying to get a hold of one of my kids. When they don't reply, I have no idea if a.) they never got my original message; b.) they replied but I just never received it; c.) they received my message but didn't see it/didn't bother replying yet; or, worst-case, d.) they received my message but were unable to reply.

Everything was fine, of course, but reliable and instant delivery of messages is kind of the heart of texting/chatting, y'know?
Exactly my experience. Apparently, the far end of Vibe is a no text zone. I was freaking out and he was having a safe and good time.

Apparently, the far end of Vibe is a no text zone. I was freaking out and he was having a safe and good time.

Do you mean that literally? Like, by design? Or do you mean it’s an unintended wi-fi “dead spot”?

I hope it's unintended, but it was there. I guess it's a spot right at the front of the ship, and at the back of Vibe. That's what he claims and he showed me his phone. He didn't get my messages.

My DS is still young that he doesn't have his own phone yet. Though if there are dead zones in the kids areas, that will make my anxiety go through the roof if I wasn't able to get a message to him and same back.

Hopefully in the future they can work on this.

I hope it's unintended, but it was there. I guess it's a spot right at the front of the ship, and at the back of Vibe. That's what he claims and he showed me his phone. He didn't get my messages.

The app is still pretty worthless unless you are in the terminal or on the ship. A list of your booked activities on one screen is nice, but your dining rotation is already on your KTTW card. And there are plenty of other, better countdown timers out there to be had for $0.99.

Yeeeah, I flat-out deleted it after my trip to save memory, and next time around I won't install it months in advance like I did this time -- just the week before to make sure everything works okay before I go. The Disneyland and WDW apps are actually useful ahead of your trip, but the DCL app's countdown just duplicates the countdown ticker I have on this board and the physical countdown decoration I bought for my house, so I never even looked at it in the time leading up to my trip. When I first installed it I hoped it would at least let me view my booked activities, reservations, etc. ahead of the trip, but nope.

Mine didn't update either and still has the suitcase. I have an Android phone. In looking at the specs for the version 2.0 update of the DCL navigator, they require Android version 5.0 and up. I have version 4.4, so I can't update it. I'm also cruising this summer...will have to talk to DH to see if he has any ideas of what to do. Our kids have newer phones, so theirs will probably work...it's just us 'old' people...with our 'old' phones.
Can't you update your Android version? I guess it depends on your phone, but you might try.

Yeeeah, I flat-out deleted it after my trip to save memory, and next time around I won't install it months in advance like I did this time -- just the week before to make sure everything works okay before I go. The Disneyland and WDW apps are actually useful ahead of your trip, but the DCL app's countdown just duplicates the countdown ticker I have on this board and the physical countdown decoration I bought for my house, so I never even looked at it in the time leading up to my trip. When I first installed it I hoped it would at least let me view my booked activities, reservations, etc. ahead of the trip, but nope.

4721622.jpg

Count me among those disappointed in the clock! Also, if your kids are too young for a smart phone, you can also put it on their iPod if they have one. We did that for DS on our last cruise, he was only 10, so a bit young for a smart phone...

I am disappointed that they still haven't gotten that chat feature to work as it should. I'm no app developer, so maybe there is a good explanation for this, but why do I have to keep this app active and in the foreground to receive chat notifications? I can't think of any other app I use that has such requirements for notifications.

There is a good reason. Those so-called "push notifications" require that the app be connected over the Internet (WiFi or cellular) to the Google or Apple mother ship in order to work. The app's chat feature has to work without Internet access.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter