New DCL App

There is a good reason. Those so-called "push notifications" require that the app be connected over the Internet (WiFi or cellular) to the Google or Apple mother ship in order to work. The app's chat feature has to work without Internet access.

Thanks! Good to know.

I still wish DCL had found a workaround. #firstworldproblems

I'm a bit disappointed too. When I saw that you would be able to check your dining rotation etc I thought great, we'll know before we get to the terminal! I also hoped that there would be a feature where you could put your castaway number in, to be able to see what date to do OLCI, book excursions etc.

Claire :)

There is a good reason. Those so-called "push notifications" require that the app be connected over the Internet (WiFi or cellular) to the Google or Apple mother ship in order to work. The app's chat feature has to work without Internet access.

Makes me wonder whether the non-functionality of the app outside the ship is also related to the way they have to have the connection set up...?

Makes me wonder whether the non-functionality of the app outside the ship is also related to the way they have to have the connection set up...?

Seems like the APNS - the push notification service - is critical to the chat functionality working like iMessage or FB Messenger does - namely, alerting you (“pushing”) when you have an incoming message, even if the app is not running and in the foreground.

I don’t see how that would limit the app’s ability to show you your itinerary, rotation, excursions, etc. Those aren’t “pushed” like text messages.

I am guessing these features are just not something that DCL wanted to throw money/resources at. Probably far easier and more cost-efficient to deliver that info via the mobile web site vs. iOS and Android apps.

Hopefully someone will report back on the functionality on-board in the near future. As long as that's improved I don't care what it looks like. I'll test it on the 3/17 Fantasy sailing.

I'm a bit disappointed too. When I saw that you would be able to check your dining rotation etc I thought great, we'll know before we get to the terminal! I also hoped that there would be a feature where you could put your castaway number in, to be able to see what date to do OLCI, book excursions etc.

Claire :)

I'm pretty sure that the app is only "activated" by the ship's WiFi. So you won't be able to know before you arrive. The app will only display your dining rotations when you connect to the ships WiFi.

Seems like the APNS - the push notification service - is critical to the chat functionality working like iMessage or FB Messenger does - namely, alerting you (“pushing”) when you have an incoming message, even if the app is not running and in the foreground.

I don’t see how that would limit the app’s ability to show you your itinerary, rotation, excursions, etc. Those aren’t “pushed” like text messages.

I am guessing these features are just not something that DCL wanted to throw money/resources at. Probably far easier and more cost-efficient to deliver that info via the mobile web site vs. iOS and Android apps.

I'm an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about re: APNS. What setting do I have to enable/disable to make it work aside from the vibrate mode if the app is surfaced?

I'm an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about re: APNS. What setting do I have to enable/disable to make it work aside from the vibrate mode if the app is surfaced?

I don’t think there is anything you need to do other than connect to the ship WiFi, and keep the app on top/surfaced.

When you first use the app, you have to supply credentials to verify your identity. Then, if you want to connect with other people (so you all can chat using the app), you have to swap codes (generated by the app) amongst yourselves.

These codes are meant (I think) to prevent strangers or other unwanted parties from trying to connect/texting/harass you via the app.

I don’t think there is anything you need to do other than connect to the ship WiFi, and keep the app on top/surfaced.

When you first use the app, you have to supply credentials to verify your identity. Then, if you want to connect with other people (so you all can chat using the app), you have to swap codes (generated by the app) amongst yourselves.

These codes are meant (I think) to prevent strangers or other unwanted parties from trying to connect/texting/harass you via the app.

Ok, that's what I do now. I was wondering if there was some double-secret probation setting to get the phones to sound the alert sound when you get a text...like every other messaging app on the planet. And all.

Ok, that's what I do now. I was wondering if there was some double-secret probation setting to get the phones to sound the alert sound when you get a text...like every other messaging app on the planet. And all.

No, I wish there was. I would feel better switching to other apps and not having to worry I would miss an important message.

wormer.bmp

My guess is that the Reservation system is completely separate from the ship systems that the apps connect to. Having to be able to support their on-shore reservation system as well as their on-ship system (which only has your current folio, not all previous and future castaway info) is beyond the scope of the app. It seems difficult for them to even connect these two system themselves when you're on the ship - so I'm not surprised they didn't do it for a guest mobile app.

My guess is that the Reservation system is completely separate from the ship systems that the apps connect to. Having to be able to support their on-shore reservation system as well as their on-ship system (which only has your current folio, not all previous and future castaway info) is beyond the scope of the app. It seems difficult for them to even connect these two system themselves when you're on the ship - so I'm not surprised they didn't do it for a guest mobile app.

Agreed. From a business perspective, I really don't see a benefit for DCL to devote resources to integrate both these systems into the app.

As a consumer, I wish they would do it, but DCL seems to be doing just fine without a robust shore-side app.

It would be nice if they had an app for their reservation system. It doesn't have to be part of the navigator. You don't make changes on line to appointments on the ship anyway. That sailing closes.

Ok...I had to go and check this out for myself....I can't believe they changed the clock to BORING!

PREVIOUS CLOCK

View attachment 303528

NEW CLOCK

View attachment 303529

There is literally no comparison. Come on DCL...bring back the suitcase or at least something a little exciting...something nautical maybe? Guests love the anticipation of their cruise and that new clock does not instill any sense of upcoming Magic, Wonder, Dream or Fantasy!

MJ
HORRIBLE..SMH..:mad::mad: ...2 Thumbs Down

Seems like every time I have cruised and used this app for texting on the ship, I have had at least one instance where my message was not delivered or a reply was not delivered to me in a timely manner.

It bugs me the most when I am trying to get a hold of one of my kids. When they don't reply, I have no idea if a.) they never got my original message; b.) they replied but I just never received it; c.) they received my message but didn't see it/didn't bother replying yet; or, worst-case, d.) they received my message but were unable to reply.

Everything was fine, of course, but reliable and instant delivery of messages is kind of the heart of texting/chatting, y'know?

We had this issue on previous cruises, but I'm pretty sure that the reason our texts weren't delivered timely is that we didn't keep the app "open" (in the foreground) which , apparently, it needs in order to work & provide notifications & deliver texts. (there's small "fine print" on a couple of the pages reminding users to do so in order to receive notifications)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter