New Details Unveiled for Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Coming to Disneyland Park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios

dina444444

DIS Veteran
hsjguygw4iu2871.jpg

As we’ve previously shared, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway—the first major Mickey-themed ride-through attraction—is coming to both Disneyland park in California and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida. Today at the D23 Expo 2019, Bob Chapek, chairman, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products released a few more exciting details and sneak peeks!

hsjguygw4iu2872.jpg

At Disneyland park, the attraction will be opening in Mickey’s Toontown in 2022. The action takes place at the El CapiTOON Theater, where Mickey and Minnie are premiering their newest short, “Perfect Picnic.” Before you enter the cinema, you’ll experience a special exhibit created by the Toontown Hysterical Society featuring costumes and props from the toon world.

hsjguygw4iu2873.jpg

At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney Imagineers are getting ready to open next year. You’ll be invited to the Chinese Theatre, which serves as the magic portal through which theatergoers will step from the human world directly into the cartoon world for one Goofy adventure aboard Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway!

hsjguygw4iu2874b.jpg
hsjguygw4iu2874a.jpg

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway puts you inside the wacky and unpredictable world of Disney Channel’s Emmy® Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts! Once you step into the cartoon world of Mickey and Minnie, you’ll board a train with Goofy as the engineer. Then, one magical moment after the next leads you to a zany, out-of-control adventure filled with surprising twists and turns.

With an original story and lovable theme song, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway uses state-of-the-art technologies and dazzling visual effects to transform the cartoon world into an incredible and immersive multidimensional experience.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

Source

Can’t wait for this. Curious why it’s 2022 (and not 2021). Seems like they closed bug’s land yesterday and Superhero Land is just around the corner, and that’s more than just one ride.

Very glad that it comes with a much needed refurb of Toon Town. I feel like it’s the most underrated land since it gets a lot of hate, but also seems to be extremely popular, at least based on how crowded it can get back there!

Gadget’s is fun but will always feel like a “filler” attraction to me. It’ll be nice to have the meet & greets along with two good rides once this opens.

I do hope the refurb will come with an upgrade in the food department. I know they need simple stuff back there to satisfy the number of toddlers in the land, but the current food offerings have always felt very basic and lacking to me. Not really anything special or unique to the land/theme.

Can’t wait for this. Curious why it’s 2022 (and not 2021). Seems like they closed bug’s land yesterday and Superhero Land is just around the corner, and that’s more than just one ride.

Very glad that it comes with a much needed refurb of Toon Town. I feel like it’s the most underrated land since it gets a lot of hate, but also seems to be extremely popular, at least based on how crowded it can get back there!

Gadget’s is fun but will always feel like a “filler” attraction to me. It’ll be nice to have the meet & greets along with two good rides once this opens.

I do hope the refurb will come with an upgrade in the food department. I know they need simple stuff back there to satisfy the number of toddlers in the land, but the current food offerings have always felt very basic and lacking to me. Not really anything special or unique to the land/theme.
They still haven’t broke ground yet. They are just starting to remove the buildings where this is going to be built.

They still haven’t broke ground yet. They are just starting to remove the buildings where this is going to be built.
Yeah, I’m certain there’s a good reason. I know nothing about construction, so I don’t really have any thing to go on.

It’s just surprising that they closed bugs land a year ago, and a year from now Avengers Campus will be open. And that has a ride, a stage, and a restaurant. Whereas the Runaway Railway is one attraction largely contained in a single building, yet in two years from now it’ll still be months away from opening. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Based on the concept art, my guess is that the entrance to the ride will take over the space that is currently Toontown City Hall. Assuming that is the case,, will the ride also displace Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt, Pluto's Dog House (serving hot dogs) and Daisy's Diner (serving pizza)? I hope not, as those are Toontown's true eateries.

Based on the concept art, my guess is that the entrance to the ride will take over the space that is currently Toontown City Hall. Assuming that is the case,, will the ride also displace Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt, Pluto's Dog House (serving hot dogs) and Daisy's Diner (serving pizza)? I hope not, as those are Toontown's true eateries.
I believe I read a report of the current gag factory store being the new entrance to the ride.

The concept art doesn't look like the Gag Factory. It's too spacious for that. If you look really closely at the right of the first image, you will see a window and a door in a building, which may or may not be the Toontown Five and Dime entrance. If anything, the Gag Factory may serve as the obligatory post-ride store, but not necessarily the entrance.

Yeah, I’m certain there’s a good reason. I know nothing about construction, so I don’t really have any thing to go on.

It’s just surprising that they closed bugs land a year ago, and a year from now Avengers Campus will be open. And that has a ride, a stage, and a restaurant. Whereas the Runaway Railway is one attraction largely contained in a single building, yet in two years from now it’ll still be months away from opening. 🤷🏼‍♂️
The Great Movie Ride in WDW closed 2 years ago, RR is not set to open there until next year. From what I've read it sounds like this ride will be like Ratatouille which is trackless and has 3D elements - thinking it's not an easy build and especially since they have to take buildings down. I think Avengers is hot now so they want to get it done asap (while I love the Avenger movies I will miss Bug's Land!)

I believe it was the OC Register that said the entrance was taking over the Gag Factory. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oc...mickey-minnies-runaway-railway-dark-ride/amp/

They did mention it taking over the Gag Factory, but I don't think it specified where the entrance would be. For all we know, the Gag Factory may be used as the post-ride store that many attractions exit out into nowadays. This means it may be used as the exit, not the entrance. Again, if you look at the concept art, you will note that the entrance looks like it's in a more open space (the building right next to it may or may not be the Five and Dime, which connects to the Gag Factory), whereas the Gag Factory is in a more compact space. Using that as the entrance might cause a lot of problems with crowding, especially with the Roger Rabbit ride right close by. The only way it might work as the entrance is if they got rid of the buildings in front of it (i.e., the Post Office, the Fireworks Factory, etc.). I'm not sure if they want to sacrifice that much for it.

I have read a lot of information pertaining to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, including the most recent DSNY Newscast video, which goes into detail on Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (mostly in WDW, but also touching on Disneyland's upcoming version as well).

Anyway, I've heard a lot about the Disney characters appearing in the ride, including Mickey, Minnie and Goofy (who is your train engineer), as well as Pluto (allegedly on the drive with Mickey and Minnie) and even Daisy, who has a dance studio, as the video explains.

However, in all of the information on the ride I've found, it seems like they never mention one other member of Mickey's inner circle, one very significant character: Donald Duck. Is he not going to be in the ride at all? If he is, where will he be? I personally think he should assist Goofy in operating the train (probably as a fireman or maybe as a conductor), or at the very least appear with Daisy in her scene (if that video is any indication).

What's going on? I really hope Donald makes it into the ride. It would be awkward for him not to be there.

Is something going on with the DL version of MMRR? Fresh Baked posted a video the other day casually mentioning that they are watching to see if construction of DL’s MMRR will go into “hibernation” for awhile and the build site will be shut down.

At least that seemed to be the gist. But there was no mention of why they are watching for this that I saw, and searching for info just brings up the original announcement or info about the WDW version opening soon.

Just curious since it’s already going to take plenty of time to build this attraction as it’s not scheduled to open until 2022 as is.

Is something going on with the DL version of MMRR? Fresh Baked posted a video the other day casually mentioning that they are watching to see if construction of DL’s MMRR will go into “hibernation” for awhile and the build site will be shut down.

At least that seemed to be the gist. But there was no mention of why they are watching for this that I saw, and searching for info just brings up the original announcement or info about the WDW version opening soon.

Just curious since it’s already going to take plenty of time to build this attraction as it’s not scheduled to open until 2022 as is.

He was postulating that they might put on hold or cancel MMRR at Disneyland due to monetary losses from the closures of the Disney parks in Asia due to Coronavirus. The closing of those parks will mean a loss of millions of dollars, and it’s got to come from somewhere. I’m hoping he’s wrong and they don’t choose to discontinue MMRR.

Delays aside, can anyone tell me how this is affecting Toontown right now? Are there construction walls, closures, etc. beyond the removal of the hills? I know most of the construction is backstage and have seen the latest ariel shots, but it's hard to tell.

We are planning a trip this summer and Toontown is a big draw for my daughter who grew up playing the game. We frequent WDW but this is our first trip west. I'd hate to get there and it be torn out or closed for refurb.

Delays aside, can anyone tell me how this is affecting Toontown right now? Are there construction walls, closures, etc. beyond the removal of the hills? I know most of the construction is backstage and have seen the latest ariel shots, but it's hard to tell.

We are planning a trip this summer and Toontown is a big draw for my daughter who grew up playing the game. We frequent WDW but this is our first trip west. I'd hate to get there and it be torn out or closed for refurb.
At this point there’s nothing beyond the removal of the hills. Construction on MMRR is completely backstage so far. At some point they’ll have to work on the Gag Factory facade and do the expected general refurb of Toontown, but that’s probably a ways away as it’s not scheduled to be done until 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter