New Disney Dining Show is....

I do like the idea of a dining review site, my only concern is over time, by recording in the moment and with the rotating team with disney staff catch on and say "pay extra care to this table" because we need good reviews (although it's Disney, I'm sure little ol' Disboards reviews mean nothing to them)

But I'd like to see maybe asking random people who finished eating, or were in line with you waiting to eat if they wouldn't mind giving a testimonial of their meal. That way you get a more true representation of service
Just giving my "take" on this that Disney might have a big problem with that for "PR and security" reasons, and the guests might find it a bit "stalkerish".

And believe me - Disney knows ALL that happens - many years ago I collected menus as souvenirs, but also hand typed (this was in the VERY early days of scanners, when optical recognition was NOT good, so quality was not good) them with prices for a web site(s) I was volunteering for, mostly about Disney World. Got a "stop doing that" phone call from Disney. Back then, even their own web site had VERY little info about their own dining - no pics that I can remember, no prices, and descriptions were (for MOST places) sandwiches, salads, chicken sandwiches, burgers" type of thing. I told them I was doing THEM a favor by tying he FULL menu, WITH prices. Not getting ANYTHING in turn - not from the web site(s), I was doing this purely as a "labor of love" for, NOR from Disney. Their party line was 'there IS only ONE web site, and that is NOT it - stop. After seeking out the advice of the web master of that site (who always knew, and complimented me on what I was doing), I stopped. Still collected menus as souvenirs, but stopped tying them to share with others online. So Disney DOES notice - even the little sites. Their attitude may have changed in the years since, as more and more people are doing "social media stuff" over the years (this was the mid to late 90's). But - like Roz - they ARE watching, ALWAYS watching. :magnify:

Last edited:
I'd like to see maybe asking random people who finished eating
I listen to the DIS because I want to hear what they have to say. I know them and trust their opinions. I don't want to hear from random strangers.

I also think it would be strange (and probably not even allowed) for them to start interviewing park guests. I'm sure they'd need some sort of permission from Disney to do that.

Just giving my "take" on this that Disney might have a big problem with that for "PR" reasons, and the guests might find it a bit "stalkerish".

And believe me - Disney knows ALL that happens - many years ago I collected menus as souvenirs, but also hand typed (this was in the VERY early days of scanners, when optical recognition was NOT good, so quality was not good) them with prices for a web site(s) I was volunteering for, mostly about Disney World. Got a "stop doing that" phone call from Disney. Back then, even their own web site had VERY little info about their own dining - no pics that I can remember, no prices, and descriptions were (for MOST places) sandwiches, salads, chicken sandwiches, burgers" type of thing. I told them I was doing THEM a favor by tying he FULL menu, WITH prices. Not getting ANYTHING in turn - not from the web site(s), I was doing this purely as a "labor of love" for, NOR from Disney. Their party line was 'there IS only ONE web site, and that is NOT it - stop. After seeking out the advice of the web master of that site (who always knew, and complimented me on what I was doing), I stopped. Still collected menus as souvenirs, but stopped tying them to share with others online. So Disney DOES notice - even the little sites. Their attitude may have changed in the years since, as more and more people are doing "social media stuff" over the years (this was the mid to late 90's). But - like Roz - they ARE watching, ALWAYS watching. :magnify:

I realized as I typed it that disney wouldn't want this because you don't want to interfere with another guests experience but I'm just saying instead of the same rotating people, maybe put out a call for unknown people to give their review. Kinda like how companies hire secret shoppers.

the dis needs an independent contractor that they pay for thier meal and the dis pays for a 60 second review clip and maybe a few pictures of what was eaten. Then you can't use that same person for at least 1-3 months. This way the disney staff can't say "oh hey, I saw Pete's here, lets give him the best of the best"

I realized as I typed it that disney wouldn't want this because you don't want to interfere with another guests experience but I'm just saying instead of the same rotating people, maybe put out a call for unknown people to give their review. Kinda like how companies hire secret shoppers.

the dis needs an independent contractor that they pay for thier meal and the dis pays for a 60 second review clip and maybe a few pictures of what was eaten. Then you can't use that same person for at least 1-3 months. This way the disney staff can't say "oh hey, I saw Pete's here, lets give him the best of the best"
I respect your opinion, and like the intent and reasoning behind it. Just not sure how logistically or financially possible it would be for them, or if they'd like to take a project of that magnitude on. But again, I do see where you're coming from, for sure. :) Hopefully there are so many places that it would take quite some time to getting around, getting to be "made guys" - ROTFL - at them. :)

I listen to the DIS because I want to hear what they have to say. I know them and trust their opinions. I don't want to hear from random strangers.

I also think it would be strange (and probably not even allowed) for them to start interviewing park guests. I'm sure they'd need some sort of permission from Disney to do that.

I wasn't intending to say I don't ALSO want to hear from them, but I would like a 3rd party Joe Schmoe as well so I can make a well rounded opinion

Great games they could have.

#1 mix everyones review in a hat, different people read a review and we guess who wrote it, or...

#2 have John read everyones review, since we know he'd laugh at the appropriate time, then guess who wrote it

#3 two part episodes where they show a dining review from a few years ago followed by a new review, call it fix it or nix it, and see if enough has changed to make Kevin smile

#4 give an oral review of the restaurant first without mentioning the name or giving any clues about it, then show the video of where they ate

#5 have an online poll set up to guess their bill after the review... and how much tip they left

#6 I'm just spitballing here, but an iron chef style throw down of WDW restaurants. Week one could be fried chicken... a week eating only fried chicken and the sides at five locations such as Olivia's, Homecomin', 50's Prime Time, Pioneer Hall with snippets from each then judgement. This would take a while to produce and would be costly, but the idea of Craig yelling "A la Cuisine" should be worth the price of admission. Take it to cupcakes, cookies, buffets, pancakes, ribeye, sushi, anything Disney has a plethora of good options for.

I wasn't intending to say I don't ALSO want to hear from them, but I would like a 3rd party Joe Schmoe as well so I can make a well rounded opinion

I get where you are coming from but for reals. If its one thing I've learned it's that people expect the DIS podcast to be everything. Certain things people suggest are to enhance their experience of watching not necessarily to tool it to their liking. One of the things I can think about that people commented on and the DIS podcast folks listened to was their Best and Worst. Instead of one poll and scaling their worst and best off of that they are doing two polls and this made logical sense and already it's easier to get a feel for what people vote on.

Youtube is full of videos of Disney. The DIS isn't the only podcast available. And I enjoy the DIS but it's not a shame to go watch other people's podcasts.

Oliver, who used to work for the DIS, has his own vlog he does and JL is with him often enough. The Tim Tracker is another well-known one though. Heck there is even a youtube channel called DFB (Disney Food Blog).

Even that being said the DIS does want contributors both written and vlog style. But that's basically an interview type process not a pick a random person while you're at the parks and ask them what they think of x,y,z.

How about a random DisUnplugged fan (ONE) gets to tag along for a free meal, after which he gets interviewed. Enough of us are there in the parks every day. All we would need is a few hours to explain to the wife why we need to go. Maybe a day or two to line it up. Anyway, people sign up when they will be in WDW, Corey picks the least stalkerish and sets it up. As a reward, I hear @WebmasterCorey now has a pin making machine.

How about a random DisUnplugged fan (ONE) gets to tag along for a free meal, after which he gets interviewed. Enough of us are there in the parks every day. All we would need is a few hours to explain to the wife why we need to go. Maybe a day or two to line it up. Anyway, people sign up when they will be in WDW, Corey picks the least stalkerish and sets it up. As a reward, I hear @WebmasterCorey now has a pin making machine.

No no, BUTTON making machine. Big Difference! Imagine the outrage from the Annual Passholders if they gave out AP Exclusive PINS instead of a button for Food and Wine. I can hear it now...."I spent all this money on an AP and Disney could only give me this tiny little pin, could have at least sprung for a large button!"

As far as the aspect of the Team trying to listen/change things the best they can to "what the people want" IS the fact they ARE doing more "dining things", as everyone has asked for, for a long time. Now - they may not be HOW, WHERE, and WITH everybody that everybody wants, but it's like the old Aesop's fable of the man ending up carrying the heavy donkey - you CAN"T please EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME.

But - IMHO - they ARE trying. And I've seen other changes that shows they are listening, and trying too. For all that, I am grateful.

After finally watching the entire rest of the new Dining Show - I have to edit this to add - as I did on the You Tube page itself - I appreciate that everybody ordered something different - covering the spectrum of appetizers, entrees (seafood, beef, pasta, even vegetarian!!) and desserts, so I feel it was a very nicely done, broad review of a lot of different stuff.

Last edited:

Well, they do the Facebook polling as well- so that gives some thoughts guts from a bunch of Joe Schmoes. Maybe they could have a text box field in those surveys as well and read off a few of the comments just to get other perspectives as wel

I get where you are coming from but for reals. If its one thing I've learned it's that people expect the DIS podcast to be everything. Certain things people suggest are to enhance their experience of watching not necessarily to tool it to their liking. One of the things I can think about that people commented on and the DIS podcast folks listened to was their Best and Worst. Instead of one poll and scaling their worst and best off of that they are doing two polls and this made logical sense and already it's easier to get a feel for what people vote on.

I think everyone can agree that I should be hired by Pete, given Craigs former apartment under Pete's deck, and made a staff writer for all the shows. As a former (applicant to be) a writer for people such as John Oliver, Ron White, Sarah Silverman, and making a call back to write for telemundo politicol, I have the skills needed to wash dishes and use spell check. When needed I can also ignore spell check and type out 'pool ee foo say' if wine is involved. I addition, I have the ability to completely change the subject when needed to avoid conflict, have a clean bill of health, am and can bake some good molasses cookies.

No no, BUTTON making machine. Big Difference! Imagine the outrage from the Annual Passholders if they gave out AP Exclusive PINS instead of a button for Food and Wine. I can hear it now...."I spent all this money on an AP and Disney could only give me this tiny little pin, could have at least sprung for a large button!"

imcelebrating.jpg

Paying for my annual pass

#6 I'm just spitballing here, but an iron chef style throw down of WDW restaurants. Week one could be fried chicken... a week eating only fried chicken and the sides at five locations such as Olivia's, Homecomin', 50's Prime Time, Pioneer Hall with snippets from each then judgement. This would take a while to produce and would be costly, but the idea of Craig yelling "A la Cuisine" should be worth the price of admission. Take it to cupcakes, cookies, buffets, pancakes, ribeye, sushi, anything Disney has a plethora of good options for.

Perhaps a head to head comparison of dining "equivalents"? Set it up as dining location #1 vs. dining location #2 (you can even poll this as which restaurants would you like to see in a match off); akin to the fast pass tier levels. You could keep costs controlled as I believe these shows are scheduled to be released bi-weekly.

Perhaps a head to head comparison of dining "equivalents"? Set it up as dining location #1 vs. dining location #2 (you can even poll this as which restaurants would you like to see in a match off). You could keep costs controlled as I believe these shows are scheduled to be released bi-weekly.
tournament style, but who would be a 1 seed and who would be a 16?

I the back of my mind I picture @WebmasterJohn glancing at, then deleting this thread from his history so he never has to imagine the logistical headache we morons cause.

tournament style, but who would be a 1 seed and who would be a 16?

I the back of my mind I picture @WebmasterJohn glancing at, then deleting this thread from his history so he never has to imagine the logistical headache we morons cause.

Tiered system. This would not be difficult at all to implement. This isn't exactly a weighted average algorithm. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts