New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

I was going to say especially Middle Eastern. Given that the 2 restaurants in Morocco are almost always available for ADRs even last minute, I don’t think it’s nearly as popular as some seem to.
Ssssh. Let’s keep that secret. People don’t know what they are missing

They could do Mexican with Coco as a theme. Or Asian with Mulan. How about Middle Eastern with the new Aladdin as a theme?

Check page one -- lots of great suggestions for restaurant themes and food ideas.

Litte bit of new info from Port Canaveral, with a lot of old thrown in for good measure.

Short version PC is getting 2 of the news ships, 20 year contract with 2 5 year extensions, 2 ships to sail from terminal 8, 1 from 10, itins not changing from the dream and Fantasy 3rd ship not decided yet, and going from 150 sailings per year to over 200 by 2023. Oh and each ship is to be completed in the years stated. 21,22 and 23.

New Contract

Last edited:

Let's be real here. All 3 new ships will be doing the bread & butter itineraries for at least the first 3-5 years or so to get paid off. Then, and only then, will DCL even remotely consider doing anything innovative itinerary wise with them. Hopefully they will use the rest of the fleet to experiment during that time.
I'd be happy if they changed up the ports once in awhile. I'd do the Eastern or Western multiple times if there were different ports.

All 3 new ships will be doing the bread & butter itineraries for at least the first 3-5 years or so to get paid off.
I don't follow the reasoning here. Do they need to pay off the ships in the first 3-5 years? Do they take a short-term loan? Or are they issuing long-term bonds to finance? Also, why couldn't they pay for the financing if they sailed on other itineraries?

I don't follow the reasoning here. Do they need to pay off the ships in the first 3-5 years? Do they take a short-term loan? Or are they issuing long-term bonds to finance? Also, why couldn't they pay for the financing if they sailed on other itineraries?

Disney actually takes out a loan for the ships. In the case of the Dream class each ship was 1.2 billion, and was paid for in a loan from several banks that was due in I think 5 years. It worked out in the end that each ship was paid off in 3 years. The PC itins are cash cows for DCL. Which is why they were paid off so quick.

Could they pay off the ships if they did other itins, depends. Until recently PC is the only port that's consistently has 2 ships. Miami is just starting out but it wont be until 2023 or so that 1 ship is there full time. Now if DCL comes out with a new 7 or 10 day from PC in the mean time that might be a different story.

Best guess right now for 2023

PC
NB1
NB2
Fantasy(possibly nb3)

Miami
Dream
NB3 or Fantasy

Galveston
Magic

Alaska
Wonder

Europe
Magic

I'll have to go back and look to see if I missed any ports.Working off my phone at the moment and all my info is in my broken laptop.

Even if they didn't have short term loans, the quicker you pay it off the better. Less interest paid depending on how the loan is structured.

They could pay it off on other itineraries but the 3/4 nights make for quick turnover so more bodies meaning more $$$$. The 7 nights are proved sellers that they charge a good deal for so and are a faster than turnover than say 8,9,10 night or longer specialty cruises.

If I recall correctly, both of the Dream class ships were paid off ahead of schedule by milking the bread & butter itineraries.

DCL is horribly predictable so they are going to do what they've done in the past.

1.2 billion for each ship, and they didn’t have a trade-in. :) I hope they didn’t get talked into the extended warranty. Those are never worth it.

If the Fantasy and/or Dream do port in Miami I hope they do some southern itineraries.

1.2 billion for each ship, and they didn’t have a trade-in. :) I hope they didn’t get talked into the extended warranty. Those are never worth it.

If the Fantasy and/or Dream do port in Miami I hope they do some southern itineraries.
Just did some quick math but it looks like 3s and 4s based on the passenger movements. From 2023 to 24 its 360000 movements which is roughly 3500 passengers 2x a week. (360000/104 which is 2 trips a week for 1 large ship which the contract calls for. )

Best guess right now for 2023

PC
NB1
NB2
Fantasy(possibly nb3)

Miami
Dream
NB3 or Fantasy

Galveston
Magic

Alaska
Wonder

Europe
Magic

I'll have to go back and look to see if I missed any ports.Working off my phone at the moment and all my info is in my broken laptop.

Disney has only guaranteed Miami one big ship and one small ship in its initial agreement. By the time NB 3 comes out, that’s when they will reposition NB 1 somewhere (I don’t think they know where just yet)

I think the schedule looks more like this:

P.C. (Agreed to 2 of the new builds and 1 older ship year round)
NB 1
NB 2
Magic will tag team with the dream on and off

Miami (agreed to 1 dream class and 1 magic class ship year round)
Fantasy
Wonder / Magic will tag team

Alaska
Wonder seasonally

Europe
Dream seasonally

When NB 3 arrives they will dance around again but 5 ships are guaranteed in Florida year round.

I speculate that when NB 3 arrives, NB 1 may head to Miami and the fantasy comes and starts doing other stuff. Maybe Alaska or Galveston or both, then stick the wonder in L.A. or N.O.

Disney has only guaranteed Miami one big ship and one small ship in its initial agreement. By the time NB 3 comes out, that’s when they will reposition NB 1 somewhere (I don’t think they know where just yet)

I think the schedule looks more like this:

P.C. (Agreed to 2 of the new builds and 1 older ship year round)
NB 1
NB 2
Magic will tag team with the dream on and off

Miami (agreed to 1 dream class and 1 magic class ship year round)
Fantasy
Wonder / Magic will tag team

Alaska
Wonder seasonally

Europe
Dream seasonally

When NB 3 arrives they will dance around again but 5 ships are guaranteed in Florida year round.

I speculate that when NB 3 arrives, NB 1 may head to Miami and the fantasy comes and starts doing other stuff. Maybe Alaska or Galveston or both, then stick the wonder in L.A. or N.O.

It's in the article that quotes the contract that went for vote. 2 large ships starting in 2024

"Due to its success and an aggressive new-build program, Disney continues to seek growth at PortMiami,” Mr. Osterholt wrote. “With three new vessels on order through 2023, the cruise line desires to homeport a large vessel year-round at PortMiami commencing January 2023… and a second large vessel starting seasonally January 2024"

Last edited:
Just did some quick math but it looks like 3s and 4s based on the passenger movements. From 2023 to 24 its 360000 movements which is roughly 3500 passengers 2x a week. (360000/104 which is 2 trips a week for 1 large ship which the contract calls for. )
The Magic currently does a lot of 5-nights. Would that fit the math?

The Magic currently does a lot of 5-nights. Would that fit the math?

No because starting in 23 the contract starts the large ship portion of the contract.It might work initially but after a certain point the Magic class simply doesnt have the capacity to keep up the numbers. Up to that point I have to look since it's a gradual increase in passenger movements, from 100000 up to 360000

Last edited:
Intr3pid said:
Miami currently has no plans to supply LNG to cruise ships. The LNG bunkering at sea is still in infancy, so the year-round Miami ship will most likely be a Dream class. A second ship will also sail from Miami in the winter - most likely one of the classics or another Dream class.

PC will get two of the three new ships for year-round sailings. The third new ship will probably sail from a number of ports, incl. seasonally from PC. It may spend the summer in Europe - all of Barcelona, Hamburg, and Rotterdam have excellent LNG infrastructure.

The new agreements with the ports are for a minimum number of passenger movements - not sailings. In Miami, Disney is guaranteeing 360,000 movements. If it goes ahead with 4- and 5-day Dream class itineraries year round, it will move ~280,000 passengers annually with one ship. The second seasonal ship for three months will get you the remainder.
The articles confirm what I have stated previously in this thread.

PC: 2 x Triton + 1 x Dream (all three full-time)

Miami: 1 x Dream (full-time) + 1 x Triton (winter)

Alaska/Europe: Magic + Wonder + 1 x Triton (all three summer)

West coast/Hawaii: Wonder (spring/fall)

East coast/NYC: Magic (spring/fall)

Gulf coast/Florida: Magic + Wonder (both winter)

Undecided: 1 x Triton (spring/fall)

Highly unlikely that a Dream class ship will be sent on long-distance itineraries - unless they fix the issues with the thursters first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter