New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

I've been looking on and off to trying to guage what's been going on in MW regarding the Wish and subsequent builds. Both Royal and Carnival have publicly stated that the Iona which is under Carnivals umbrella, and the Odysey of the Seas will be delayed. Which means by default, the Wish will be delayed also. Neither line has stated how far behind each will be other then to say late.
I’m so glad you said something I’ve been looking for this thread to find out that exact same information. When was the original sail month/season that was intended? And although I’m sure a plan is in place to catch up at MW, what is the long and short outlook on those ships ahead of the Wish?

Last edited:
I’m so glad you said something I’ve been looking for this thread to find out that exact same information.

No problem. Just trying to keep track and anticipate what and when DCL might do. The good news is if you can call it that, is assuming the Wish first cruise was in Jan of 22 it moves it back later in the year when it's not as weather problematic. Iirc, Jan and Feb are some of the worst times to head to CC in terms of missed due to weather. Not to me ion the seas them selves are calmer and warmer later in the year.
I actually saw the part from Royal on their blog. Ionas came from I think the points guy that sat down ( well virtually anyway) with the head of Carnival and he mentioned it in that interview. Neither has said specifically how long, and Disney as usual is really tight lipped. Royal Did that they were working with MW on the delay and would know more in a few weeks and that was about 3 weeks ago.

I updated the MW build list. There is a ship in-between Wish and Odyssey I missed. My fault, I assumed it was in hall 5 which is traditionally where Aida ships were built, but due to her size is in Hall 6 with Odyssey. Odyssey is still due out first, then Aida Cosma, then Wish. As a ball park, Iona is at 26 months and counting,6 months past the usual 20 months for MW.

So is it pretty certain now Wish will be delayed? If so, best guess by how long?

I’m so glad you said something I’ve been looking for this thread to find out that exact same information. When was the original sail month/season that was intended? And although I’m sure a plan is in place to catch up at MW, what is the long and short outlook on those ships ahead of the Wish?

Check out page one with estimated sail dates, articles, links, etc.

Last edited:
So is it pretty certain now Wish will be delayed? If so, best guess by how long?
Sorry missed part of that. That's what I get for replying at midnight.

Initially, Wish was proposed a Jan 22 maiden based off of available rumors. Her steel cut date was moved by several months, along with Carnival.Mardi Gras after Port Canaveral went out and toured MW. Wish steel cutting was in March of this year, but due to the pandemic, wasnt publicized like in the past.Under normal circumstances, a 20 month build would put the hand over in Novemberish of 21 with a maiden in Jan/Febish of 22. With that said, new ship orders have been canceled and changed and MW has been responding accordingly A last official statement t is that there will be a slowdown in production, but they havent stated how much. P&O Iona, was transferred to Bremerhaven for testing and acceptance in early March and was docked for 3 months before work resumed slowly, as an example. Once Odyssey and AidaCosma hit there milestones, (float out transfer and hand over) well have a better idea. Now this is just my SWAG but I'd guess a summer 22 maiden wouldnt be out of the question.Im watching RCCLs blog almost daily to see what they come up with for Odyssey as far as a delay. They are pretty much the only line discussing new ships and where they are in the pipeline.

Would they use the delay to make COVID related changes to the interior design of the ship?
It's possible they add a coating but I dont think its likely. Theres really not much more they can do. The ships are built with ease of cleaning in mind where practical. Covid is 2020s sars.Theres still a lot they dont know and a lot of what is being recommended is guesswork based on the flu and other respiratory illnesses.Things have changed like initially it was you can get covid by touching a surface that's contaminated up to 72 hours later depending on the surface. Now it's not likely. So I doubt at least at this stage theyll add anything until things get a little more firm and decided.

Theyll be other illnesses to varying degrees,as there have been in the past though not to this degree, and it may depend on what mood the US CDC is in. Port Canaveral went on record saying that they believe the CDC is unfairly singling out cruise lines, where a lot of hotels and resorts have the same/similar if not more issues. Then theres the ever popular noro viruses that can be problematic to ships. And hotels.Where do you draw a line? Does 1 answer negate another answer to a different virus?

I cant swear to it either way but they should if they havent already, put a uv light system in the air handlers to kill viruses before it becomes a problem. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
No changes to buffet restaurants?
Probably not too much change. Everything in the buffets is designed to be as easily cleanable as possible. Which is why theres a lot of stainless, and cms will wipe down and serve during noro. They may make it easier to say put a full partition between the guest and the food and have the staff serve it, as opposed to the guests serving themselves, with the same openings in the uffett, but how much more could you change? They could make to where they could put up a partition at say Plutos dogs on the pool deck and the staff serve you like Cabanas. but again one of the big things is the unknown. Will it die out on it's own. Will it be a vaccinable virus? Will what they do now, be undone by research in 6 months? Honestly theres just too much unknown. If it were me, and full disclosure I am a Hazardous Materials Technician,so I look at this a lot differently then most people, id be putting uv lights in all of the ac handlers, and having a new antiviral coating placed on all surfaces of the ship, with a vacuum over anywhere food is served with uv lighting in the handlers to draw any methyl ethyl bad stuff away from food and people. Theres other stuff that be added on an as needed basis also based on what a ship is dealing with.

Something else to keep in mind is they'll have to walk a fine line between keeping guests safe from themselves and making things as unintrusive as possible.In some cases yes, theyll need to barrier the buffets, but what happens when it's no longer needed?

ETA. Just remembered. the Golden Corral Buffett and I think the Chinese Buffett are both open again so someone figured out a easy way to do it.

Last edited:
I've been looking on and off to trying to guage what's been going on in MW regarding the Wish and subsequent builds. Both Royal and Carnival have publicly stated that the Iona which is under Carnivals umbrella, and the Odysey of the Seas will be delayed. Which means by default, the Wish will be delayed also. Neither line has stated how far behind each will be other then to say late.
The Iona has left the MW dock, Odyssey will most likely be the first delayed ship out of MW with Aida and Disney to fallow

The Iona has left the MW dock, Odyssey will most likely be the first delayed ship out of MW with Aida and Disney to fallow
She did leave MW pretty close to being on time. However she never got far from Bremerhaven before being docked for the pandemic and a stop work order.
Shes back in a drydock in Rotterdam for inspections. She was docked at Bremerhavens fitting out pier before moving into a drydock in Rotterdam sometime after June 2nd. Not sure if she still there or not. She was supposed to enter service in May I think.

I'm guessing the Wish won't be out before March 31,2022. That's the date the first credits will expire. Not sure about later credits.

Very interesting. Does anyone think this mean we'll get more info on the Wish soon?
Depends on Disney. Right now they havent said 1 word on what's going on with the Wish. The only info available is from deductive reasoning from the other lines, and MW itself.

... ummm ... has anyone seen this?

Depends on Disney. Right now they havent said 1 word on what's going on with the Wish. The only info available is from deductive reasoning from the other lines, and MW itself.
I thought I read it is unable to progress due to a ship or two ahead of it that is running late??? That can’t even be our base, can it? Is that the right dock? The Neptune? We are at 5 or 6?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter