New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

I thought I read it is unable to progress due to a ship or two ahead of it that is running late??? That can’t even be our base, can it? Is that the right dock? The Neptune? We are at 5 or 6?
They are still working on the Wish. Theres a 99% chance that that is one of the engine modules for the Wish.Meyer Werft either owns outright,or major portions of at least 3 if not 4 shipyards. Meyer Werft, in Papenburg, Neptun Werft in Rostock, and Meyer Turku, in Turku in Finland. Neptun Werft, is making certain blocks for both Turku, and Meyer. They are barged to the appropriate location when there ready. That yard also makes smaller river cruise ships. I was looking at there site, and the last press update was from 2019. For Spectrum. I was looking at it before and while it doesnt look like a true engine block it could be the control room block or associated space for the engines.

As it stands now, theres 3 ships ahead of the Wish. P&O Iona, which last time I looked was in a dry dock in Rotterdam for inspections and the last of her trials. She is almost 2 months late if not more, at this point due to a stop work order for the pandemic, just after she arrived in Bremerhaven, where all of the interior fitting out is done.She was supposed to have a mid May maiden to give you an idea. Delivery should have been late March or early April. Things like tables, decorations, beds, anything that isn't specifically needed to move the ship from Papenburg to Bremerhaven to reduce weight so the ship rides higher in the water, as the river is relatively shallow in some places. As in less then 2 or 3 feet between the ship and the bottom in some places. Inches count. She does not have a delivery date yet that l know of. RCCL Odysey of the Seas, is next up, and following her, is AidaCosma. Both are visible in the webcam, in the same drydock. Odesey is the one furthest from the camera. WIsh may have some blocks in the drydock, on the side. It's hard to tell at this point. Work on all 4 is progressing, but at a slower pace due to distancing procedures, supply slowdowns etc. RCCL has stated, as did Carnival, that both ships will be delayed, but at this point, they dont know by how much. RCCL said well know more in a few weeks, and that was about 3 weeks ago. Havent seen anything more about it.

I thought I read it is unable to progress due to a ship or two ahead of it that is running late??? That can’t even be our base, can it? Is that the right dock? The Neptune? We are at 5 or 6?
This is Meyers Neptune shipyard in Rostock Germany. This is their department specialized on building engine rooms. According to the guy who made these videos this is the engine room of the Wish. Once it is completed it will be transferred to Emden - the main Meyer shipyard. Everything at Meyer is delayed - we had a newspaper article the other day that they try to recover the lost weeks on the Royal Caribbean build but they were not sure of they could deliver on time.

And Oddesey is now officially delayed due to supply chain issues and other factors. Her new debut is now April 17 2021.

With that said, there is still a chance that Wish will be on or close to on time. One of Oddeseys issues is shes had 2 fires inboard which may be contributing with the delay.

And Oddesey is now officially delayed due to supply chain issues and other factors. Her new debut is now April 17 2021.

With that said, there is still a chance that Wish will be on or close to on time. One of Oddeseys issues is shes had 2 fires inboard which may be contributing with the delay.
Is there a superstition about delays in ships or anything about fire during the build? I know changing the name of a boat is bad. And some have mentioned earlier about the Fantasy not getting off on the right foot because of Maria not handeling things and passing it off to Nick. The fire thing makes me wonder most of all.

Is there a superstition about delays in ships or anything about fire during the build? I know changing the name of a boat is bad. And some have mentioned earlier about the Fantasy not getting off on the right foot because of Maria not handeling things and passing it off to Nick. The fire thing makes me wonder most of all.
Yes and no. Just about every ship has an oops moment somewhere along the line. However, some ships seem to have more then others. And it also depends on the cause. In the Fantasys case, some yard workers were beleived to have deliberately flooded some cabins during her construction. That by itself, probably not a big deal. Now Mariah not wanting to Christen her would have been a bigger deal in the superstition department There are some ships out there that have chronic issues, from the time they were built, that would be considered bad luck ships. Like unexplained power outages, transient sounds that cant be explained.....

Yes and no. Just about every ship has an oops moment somewhere along the line. However, some ships seem to have more then others. And it also depends on the cause. In the Fantasys case, some yard workers were beleived to have deliberately flooded some cabins during her construction. That by itself, probably not a big deal. Now Mariah not wanting to Christen her would have been a bigger deal in the superstition department There are some ships out there that have chronic issues, from the time they were built, that would be considered bad luck ships. Like unexplained power outages, transient sounds that cant be explained.....
You are one of my top 5, love to read people.

Why would they have flooded the cabins?

I wonder that myself. Was thinking maybe someone thought water damage was better than fire damage? Or water damage happens from fire. But yeah it’s not clear anywhere O read about it.

I wonder that myself. Was thinking maybe someone thought water damage was better than fire damage? Or water damage happens from fire. But yeah it’s not clear anywhere O read about it.

If I recall correctly, at the time, the yard was in contract talks with management. Theres almost always a few bad apples that will take something the wrong way, and act on it.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, at the time, the yard was in contract talks with management. Theres almost always a few bad apples that will take something the wrong way, and act on it.
Oh my, so this might have been an intentional saboteur over work pay/conditions/other? Makes as much sense as destroying an innocent business because of a political uprising.
Maybe if these people could get more ZEN if they spent more time with the Mouse?

Oh my, so this might have been an intentional saboteur over work pay/conditions/other? Makes as much sense as destroying an innocent business because of a political uprising.
Maybe if these people could get more ZEN if they spent more time with the Mouse?
It's possible it was deliberate. Usually theres check lists to avoid stuff like that. I looked it up. It did roughly 1.2 million dollars in damage to 85 cabins.

And according to the DCL blog, MW will be shutting down for 6 weeks due to a slump in orders based on a report from Germany.

ETA: Just saw Royal posted the same thing.

And according to the DCL blog, MW will be shutting down for 6 weeks due to a slump in orders based on a report from Germany.

ETA: Just saw Royal posted the same thing.
Wait I don’t get it. They are 6 months behind on one ship, Re-detailing a refused ship they had not planned and behind due to Covid shut down. Why don’t they have a shut down after current orders are filled and not before? I’m so confused.

Why don’t they have a shut down after current orders are filled and not before? I’m so confused.
Its about maintaining a well trained work force. As ships (or any large structure) are built there are differing needs for different trades at various points of the build. By keeping the pipeline full they keep the people with the needed skills available.

Wait I don’t get it. They are 6 months behind on one ship, Re-detailing a refused ship they had not planned and behind due to Covid shut down. Why don’t they have a shut down after current orders are filled and not before? I’m so confused.
Another reason is MW at least at Papenburg, have enough ships on the books, assuming no cancellation that will last them until 2024, by spacing out what they have. Problem is is right about now, is when lines would be gearing up for that time frame. Royal, NCL, Aida, will be at the end of the projected classes, and new ships would be designed from the keel up. Not a simple, add 3 more. The pandemic is throwing everyone a curveballs. The lines dont have the millions readily available to start, there busy just trying to keep the ships they have now running with the lights on at the office, while the CDC keeps extending the bans.

As far as what they have, I have a feeling, there was something physically wrong with Iona, which is why she got a 2nd drydock, which is almost unheard of. which would explain the outright refusal, which is another never heard of before.

Oddesey on the other hand, had at least 2 fires on board, with 1 apparently major, which is the most likely culprit for her delay. Her float out date will be a good indicator on timelines, but after that ,not so much, depending on where they do her repairs at. I'm thinking shell end up in Bremerhaven for those repairs to clear the yard for Cosma and Wish. As it stands now, theyll have to do a shell game to get Cosma out of the way for Odessey to float out, then Cosma to reenter the dry dock to complete her construction.Aida Cosma which is the next ship in front of the Wish, should be a good indicator on what the new timeline should look like.

Another reason is MW at least at Papenburg, have enough ships on the books, assuming no cancellation that will last them until 2024, by spacing out what they have. Problem is is right about now, is when lines would be gearing up for that time frame. Royal, NCL, Aida, will be at the end of the projected classes, and new ships would be designed from the keel up. Not a simple, add 3 more. The pandemic is throwing everyone a curveballs. The lines dont have the millions readily available to start, there busy just trying to keep the ships they have now running with the lights on at the office, while the CDC keeps extending the bans.

As far as what they have, I have a feeling, there was something physically wrong with Iona, which is why she got a 2nd drydock, which is almost unheard of. which would explain the outright refusal, which is another never heard of before.

Oddesey on the other hand, had at least 2 fires on board, with 1 apparently major, which is the most likely culprit for her delay. Her float out date will be a good indicator on timelines, but after that ,not so much, depending on where they do her repairs at. I'm thinking shell end up in Bremerhaven for those repairs to clear the yard for Cosma and Wish. As it stands now, theyll have to do a shell game to get Cosma out of the way for Odessey to float out, then Cosma to reenter the dry dock to complete her construction.Aida Cosma which is the next ship in front of the Wish, should be a good indicator on what the new timeline should look like.
I really hope you and I end up cruising on the same ship sometime, I could listen to you talk ships forever. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us and presenting it in such a great manner.

I really hope you and I end up cruising on the same ship sometime, I could listen to you talk ships forever. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us and presenting it in such a great manner.
Absolutely!! I would sit in the theater on the ship for a lecture series or record a Ted-Talk! I would be so doe-eyed with a smile from fascination, I’d scare the heck out of truck1! Man truck1 you are amazing at explaining things to a gal that only understands “the engine light is on - car must be broken” kinda gal. If you don’t teach or write a book, I hope your talent goes to good use. I’m curious what you do, but know it’s not polite to ask so I won’t. (Sort of)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter