New DVC Member - Perspective of a Direct Buyer

I cannot believe that asking prices have gotten as high as they have on some contracts. I am seeing Boardwalk contracts for $130-140 a point. For 25 years vs 50 years at the Poly that is an absolutely terrible price.

Interesting this thread keeps coming back...
Poly's seem to be listing for $150'ish. That's not far below direct. I'm sure people offer less, but still I don't see value in resale over direct at this tight of a margin.

Last edited:
Interesting this thread keeps coming back...
Poly's seem to be listing for $150'ish. That's not far below direct. I'm sure people offer less, but still I don't see value in resale over direct at this tight of a margin.

This is Disney's dream. Disney has actually been upping their buy-backs and maybe that's why. If they get people to pay more for resale, then direct looks a lot more desirable. (An economic downturn will quickly change this of course.)

I cannot believe that asking prices have gotten as high as they have on some contracts. I am seeing Boardwalk contracts for $130-140 a point. For 25 years vs 50 years at the Poly that is an absolutely terrible price.
WAIT are you saying that Disney’s Polynesian Villas Resort has a 25 year expiration. I didn’t know that.

If I were to buy points via Disney what would be the sweetspot where I could get the most points for the least amount of money. I am already a DVC owner.

WAIT are you saying that Disney’s Polynesian Villas Resort has a 25 year expiration. I didn’t know that.

If I were to buy points via Disney what would be the sweetspot where I could get the most points for the least amount of money. I am already a DVC owner.

No - I thought I stated in clearly - Boardwalk has 25 years left - and really 24 at this point (2042), Poly has 50 years - actually I this it's 2066 so now 49. People often don't factor these facts in - so $115 a point at Boardwalk is actually a poorer value than paying direct ($174) from the Poly. Especially when you consider that 24 years from now, the Boardwalk contract will have a value of ZERO while the Poly contract will still have 24 years left and will probably be worth more than it is now based on inflation. This is why I find it ridiculous that Boardwalk / Beach Club / Boulder Ridge contracts have been inflating so much over the last two years, at this point, these contracts are losing 4% of their "value" every year, yet prices keep rising. At some point, people will start realizing this, and these prices will drop. Might take another 10 years though. Can you imagine paying $120 for a contract with 15 years left on it? Crazy.

No - I thought I stated in clearly - Boardwalk has 25 years left - and really 24 at this point (2042), Poly has 50 years - actually I this it's 2066 so now 49. People often don't factor these facts in - so $115 a point at Boardwalk is actually a poorer value than paying direct ($174) from the Poly. Especially when you consider that 24 years from now, the Boardwalk contract will have a value of ZERO while the Poly contract will still have 24 years left and will probably be worth more than it is now based on inflation. This is why I find it ridiculous that Boardwalk / Beach Club / Boulder Ridge contracts have been inflating so much over the last two years, at this point, these contracts are losing 4% of their "value" every year, yet prices keep rising. At some point, people will start realizing this, and these prices will drop. Might take another 10 years though. Can you imagine paying $120 for a contract with 15 years left on it? Crazy.

I don’t quite agree with, to me the contracts would still hold some value. I’d calculate the value to the amount which each point can be rented(minus mf) at x the years left.

So a 100 point BWV contract with 10 years left will have a value of: 17$ - 7 x 100 x 10 = $10.000.

Remember that even with 5 or 10 years left you still have a significant saving over renting direct with Disney.

Well, I'm sure there will start to be a "gap" with those resorts that will only widen with time. I did realize and worry about this and there is a whole thread on it, so others are considering it, too. I still bought at BWV because it's where I wanted to have home resort booking priority and because of those standard studios! It may be tough the next 5 years or so, but after that, I will be able to adjust my travel to times when I can always get those standard studios and because of that I needed 1/3 less points at BWV than I would have at Poly. For me, Poly meant an $18K buy in -vs- a $10K buy in. (Someone on here can jump in with the time value of money and how those back end 25 years are not worth as much as the 1st 25, yada yada.)

Also, I think people tend to "group" DVC resorts. You have your Epcot resorts, your monorail resorts, and then the rest. If you want an Epcot resort, there is no competition until Riviera is up and running. But unless they set up Riviera with an amazingly low point structure, BWV will always have that going for it. BCV will always have SAB. Riviera is still not walkable. I think no matter how hard they try, some will see Riviera as lesser resort because it's attached to a moderate and the gondolas will also be serving a moderate and a value. So, I think the only direct comparison you can make for BWV/BCV will be Riviera. I'm secretly hoping they price it super high and and the point structure sucks. lol

BRV will be the first to "gap" in my opinion. When I see that gap start to get too big, if I've had my fill of BWV, maybe I will consider selling to reduce financial "loss". But, I don't think they will fall to the point of being worthless. They will be a great value to young families with not a large amount upfront to spend that are thinking they won't want their membership after the kids grow up anyway - basically just wanting a savings -vs- renting. And frankly, I won't even care what it's worth on the resale market by then if I do want to keep it.

Last edited:
I don’t quite agree with, to me the contracts would still hold some value. I’d calculate the value to the amount which each point can be rented(minus mf) at x the years left.

So a 100 point BWV contract with 10 years left will have a value of: 17$ - 7 x 100 x 10 = $10.000.

Remember that even with 5 or 10 years left you still have a significant saving over renting direct with Disney.

Can't disagree with that. But there's just a point of diminishing returns. Our AKV contract we paid $74 per point at got 42 years, with all the fees we paid $1.81 / point / year. Then we just bought a small BWV contract with 25 years left at $105 per point, and after the fees, this contract calculates to $4.92 / point / years. So before factoring dues in, we paid $3.09 more per point for BWV points versus AKV points, and a LOT of that value is due to length of contract.

A direct contract at the Poly - $176 per point / 49 years = $3.59 per point - is cheaper than the BWV contract on a per point basis. The reason I had such a hard time buying it, but we wanted a small contract we could use for F&W season, I "splurged". But it won't happen again.

Well, I'm sure there will start to be a "gap" with those resorts that will only widen with time. I did realize and worry about this and there is a whole thread on it, so others are considering it, too. I still bought at BWV because it's where I wanted to have home resort booking priority and because of those standard studios! It may be tough the next 5 years or so, but after that, I will be able to adjust my travel to times when I can always get those standard studios and because of that I needed 1/3 less points at BWV than I would have at Poly. For me, Poly meant an $18K buy in -vs- a $10K buy in. (Someone on here can jump in with the time value of money and how those back end 25 years are not worth as much as the 1st 25, yada yada.)

This is exactly right - a BWV contract in 25 years HAS to be worth ZERO. (UNLESS Disney decides to give a discount of some sort to existing owners when the contract is up, then there may still be value there.) Every year the number of years you have left drops, and therefore the number of points you have drops. Now, if the value of the points goes up (which it does) this will cause an offset. That value right now in resale has been building higher because demand is high, and this will likely cycle. BWV contract MAY go higher than what they are now, but at some point they HAVE to go down. As I stated, 15 years from now, if Disney is selling their newest timeshare at $250 per point for 50 years ($5 per point per year) whose going to buy BWV with a direct buy. Imagine $250 a point for 10 years left? That's $25 per point plus dues - you're timeshares gonna cost you $400-500 a night. It might still be less than rack rate, but not a big savings.

It's a separate thread - but it's astounding where listing prices have gone this year. Prices are up probably 20-30 % this year alone. Amazing.

So - we are way OFF topic of the original poster, but this is my absolute favorite link on Best "Value" DVCs through resale. You can easily put a direct Poly and CCV buy onto this table and see where the value is on a purely per point basis. And as I like to point - at 7 months out or less - every point is exactly the same. Points only have different values when used at "home".

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resort-to-purchase-spring-2017/

Can't disagree with that. But there's just a point of diminishing returns. Our AKV contract we paid $74 per point at got 42 years, with all the fees we paid $1.81 / point / year. Then we just bought a small BWV contract with 25 years left at $105 per point, and after the fees, this contract calculates to $4.92 / point / years. So before factoring dues in, we paid $3.09 more per point for BWV points versus AKV points, and a LOT of that value is due to length of contract.

A direct contract at the Poly - $176 per point / 49 years = $3.59 per point - is cheaper than the BWV contract on a per point basis.

I agree that in 15 years the poly contract holds more value than a BWV contract as the contract has more years left.

But I you want to stay at BWV then a contract with 10 years left at $10.000 would still be a saving compared to renting or cash through Disney. The contract would have been worth more than 10k if it had more years to it I just see the 10.000 as a minimum price. If the rental price pp goes down so will the value. OTOH if the prices goes up so will the value ofc taking MF into account too.

We Purchased Direct and Our home is the Poly. We are so glad we purchased period. The best thing we did for our Family.

Only in Disney Timeshare land could an asset with only half its life left be increasing in value at such a rate. I wouldn't touch a 24 year contract with a barge pole unless it was going cheap. Eventually even heart over head buyers must realise the value is no longer there and prices must drop.

Only in Disney Timeshare land could an asset with only half its life left be increasing in value at such a rate. I wouldn't touch a 24 year contract with a barge pole unless it was going cheap. Eventually even heart over head buyers must realise the value is no longer there and prices must drop.

The justification for paying those prices is that the price for comparative hotel rooms has increased even more. You are still saving money when you buy 25 years of BCC via resale over spending it out of pocket for rooms there every year. Yes, it is a worse deal than other resale locations, but I can understand why some people do it.

I think Scubacat is talking up how great BCV is so that he can dump it when it hits $165/point..... :D

Just out of curiosity was is going cheap in your book?

I agree - I just bought a very small contract at BWV (75 points) and had a really hard time doing it - mostly because I just feel it is totally unjustified to have to pay that high a price for such a short life. The justification of "It's still cheaper than direct." is OK I guess, but that's still not a great reason. I'm staying at BWV on my AKV points in February, and then will be staying at BWV on my BWV points next October, and so I'm paying significantly more per point (so per night) for that stay in October. In fact, it's ~$8.40 per point for the AKV points (that factors in the buy-in cost and the annual dues), and like $11.50 per point for those BWV points. Sure, you can argue if I MUST have BWV or BCV than I am still paying a lot less than direct or renting from Disney, and that in the end is precisely why we did it.

However, if I were to buy additional points, I would only look to a longer contract. AKV (again) or BLT or Poly.

......I'm staying at BWV on my AKV points in February, and then will be staying at BWV on my BWV points next October, and so I'm paying significantly more per point (so per night) for that stay in October. In fact, it's ~$8.40 per point for the AKV points (that factors in the buy-in cost and the annual dues), and like $11.50 per point for those BWV points. Sure, you can argue if I MUST have BWV or BCV than I am still paying a lot less than direct or renting from Disney, and that in the end is precisely why we did it.

I don’t agree on your way of calculating the cost pr point. Imho it’s only valid if you keep your contract to the end. If you ie. Bought akv at $80 pp and then in 10 years sell for $120 pp then your math don’t hold up. It could also be that you are only able to sell for $70 pp, not that I think that is likely.

If you ever rent then the cost pp will also go down.

I do however agree that there is a cost pp but imho it’s difficult to calculate unless you know you will keep the contract to the end.

I don’t agree on your way of calculating the cost pr point. Imho it’s only valid if you keep your contract to the end. If you ie. Bought akv at $80 pp and then in 10 years sell for $120 pp then your math don’t hold up. It could also be that you are only able to sell for $70 pp, not that I think that is likely.

If you ever rent then the cost pp will also go down.

I do however agree that there is a cost pp but imho it’s difficult to calculate unless you know you will keep the contract to the end.

Why should I assume I'm going to sell my contract in 10 years? Especially since it is a resale contract that still gives me direct benefits. You are right that if I sell it today or in 10 years, I significantly lower the 'cost', but as far as I am concerned, I am not planning on ever selling it, so my costing is exactly right. I also have never rented my points out, and again have no plans to.

To each his own, I suppose someone could buy a contract and do nothing but rent points out and "make" money, but to me that's not the point of buying into DVC. (If that is the point, then that person should DEFINITELY buy resale.)

Why should I assume I'm going to sell my contract in 10 years? Especially since it is a resale contract that still gives me direct benefits. You are right that if I sell it today or in 10 years, I significantly lower the 'cost', but as far as I am concerned, I am not planning on ever selling it, so my costing is exactly right. I also have never rented my points out, and again have no plans to.

To each his own, I suppose someone could buy a contract and do nothing but rent points out and "make" money, but to me that's not the point of buying into DVC. (If that is the point, then that person should DEFINITELY buy resale.)

I just wanted to point out that the cost would be different if you didn't keep the contract. I think that most people who buy DVC dont buy with the intention of ever selling but as everyone knows life can and will happen and some end up selling anyway and maybe buying again years later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!