Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDWMagic where it reportedly was from Facebook and has since been deleted.
The same thing happened with Bay Lake Tower. I think the architectural firm posted a rendering of it on their website and it was taking off the next day.

Every time I read about this resort the following lyrics play in my head....

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Sorry Fort Wilderness...

Wow. The layout of the buildings and pools in relation to the lake is spot on! I could easily overlook any decor/architecture not to my taste with this waterfront connection (and the lazy river which I will pretend is a nod to River Country).

Yea that looks great IMO. Thanks for the photo, if accurate we will try a stay there for sure.

Last edited:

I think judging this resort based on a single rendering of the entrance drive is short sighted. No, it won't be themed like VWL or AKL but those resorts already exist. If Disney had said, we dont need AKL because we already have a nature themed resort in VWL that would be a sad thing. There are many ways to do something as broad as "nature themed."

It looks like this is going to be prairie school or style. Here are a couple examples of that architecture blending with nature.

View attachment 366545 View attachment 366546 View attachment 366547

I wouldn't assume that the company who brought you so many well themed resorts you love is going to deliver a Hilton and call it nature themed.

I'm optimistic that we might get something totally unexpected. We will have to wait and see.

Those buildings are very nice, and might be great....somewhere else. This is going to be right in the middle of Ft. Wilderness Campground and Wilderness Lodge. Two of the best themed resorts in the world. For decades I heard they were going to build a Boardwalk Riverfront Frontier Town resort to tie Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness together along the waterfront. That sounds so wonderful. That's why these renderings are such a letdown to me because that vision can't happen now. Buildings last a long time. Especially when they are a mistake.

I wonder if Disney will remove the “shoe tree” when the new resort opens. It’s not the prettiest thing, but it definitely has history for old boat captains.

I wonder if Disney will remove the “shoe tree” when the new resort opens. It’s not the prettiest thing, but it definitely has history for old boat captains.

Given the most likely layout plans, with the resort right on the point of land that reaches an apex at the shoe tree, I'm guessing that tradition will be done away with by management or simply moved. Unless the plans end up being radically different than what has been speculated so far, the shoe tree would be right in the middle of that luxury resort waterfront.

I am suspect of this picture; it doesn’t look even close to the images we’ve seen previously. As @Planogirl said, this does not look “nature inspired.”

That is way larger than I imagined it would be, and much closer to the beach. I kind of thought people were exaggerating when they said it would ruin the vibe of Ft. Wilderness but it really will. I guess you still won't notice it at your actual cabins or campsites but the beach and the feeling of being at a camp ground will be gone.

That is way larger than I imagined it would be, and much closer to the beach. I kind of thought people were exaggerating when they said it would ruin the vibe of Ft. Wilderness but it really will. I guess you still won't notice it at your actual cabins or campsites but the beach and the feeling of being at a camp ground will be gone.
So the beach at FW will be gone when this resort is built? I don't think I'm clear on where exactly this resort is going - I thought it was between WL and FW. But it's taking the beach from the Fort?

That is nature inspired? Um, not in the least. Hopefully, this isn't the final product.
Like the Villages Nature Paris at Disneyland, Nature Inspired doesn’t have to mean the building exteriors have to blend in, it can be modern and successfully connected to nature:
https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/hotels/villages-nature-paris/

I’d be completely OK with a modern resort with floor to ceiling windows that brings the outside in.
While the leaked image looks to have a great site plan for maximizing water views/connection in as many rooms as possible, there appears to be no natural connection with the landscape design in the land view part of the resort.

Like the Villages Nature Paris at Disneyland, Nature Inspired doesn’t have to mean the building exteriors have to blend in, it can be modern and successfully connected to nature:
https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/hotels/villages-nature-paris/

I’d be completely OK with a modern resort with floor to ceiling windows that brings the outside in.
While the leaked image looks to have a great site plan for maximizing water views/connection in as many rooms as possible, there appears to be no natural connection with the landscape design in the land view part of the resort.
I have no doubt that the inside will be nice. What I'm referring to is the overall ambience and theming and whether it fits. So far I don't think that it does and that could be to the detriment of the campers.

Last edited:
No, it won't be gone. But the resort will be RIGHT there to the left of it. ruining any illusion of actually being in nature.
Ah, I see. I haven't been to Fort Wilderness since I was 7 (over 25 years ago), but that resort/camping experience is a staple of the memories that prompted me to return to Walt Disney World in 2015 and again last year. Such a special place. Even my mother, a nurse and a bit of a germaphobe, still acknowledges the cleanliness of the 'care stations' (bathrooms). :p I hope they figure out something to preserve the overall experience.

Possible leaked concept art for this resort:

View attachment 387937

Really interesting accommodations going on here.

6 on the water accommodations
11-12 on the water cabin type accommodations
Regular type hotel structure as noted in original concept art
Appears to have a lazy river
On the water dining?

UGH ... honestly, at some point we might have to sell our DVC ownership. I LOVE it, absolutely love it, but these over the water accommodations absolutely ruin the model of flexibility. I don't even think Disney builds them with the intention of having them occupied at this point, its just a cash cow, a stupidly large pool of points they sell to just any buyer (who has no intention of staying in a bungalow/cabin/yatch cabin?). Millions of points that go into the general pool, makes staying at the 11month mark quite difficult at certain times of year, and makes the 7month mark an absolute circus for everyone.

This is just dumb.

at some point we might have to sell our DVC ownership.

:wizard: So awesome when you think about that "repayment day" compared to years of lost cash stays. :wizard:

It's a rare thing to have WDW say "here, you can have your money back". :hyper:

We are visiting WL for the first time in May. Will this development affect our stay with noise or disruption? Does this mean we will not be able to do any of the nature walks in the grounds of WL.?

Possible leaked concept art for this resort:

View attachment 387937

Really interesting accommodations going on here.

6 on the water accommodations
11-12 on the water cabin type accommodations
Regular type hotel structure as noted in original concept art
Appears to have a lazy river
On the water dining?

Wow that is much more grandiose than I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!