New Flat Rate boxes for military

lovemygoofy

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to share in case some didn't know about the new flat rate boxes.

New flat-rate box features military discount

The U.S. Postal Service is rolling out a new, larger flat-rate box that will feature - for the first time in Postal Service history - a military discount for those mailing to APO and FPO addresses. Regardless of how much they weigh, the boxes will cost $12.95 to mail for the general public, and $10.95 if mailed to an APO or FPO address, postal officials said. The boxes themselves are free.

The larger new box will provide about 50 percent more space to stuff items than the old version, officials said, with a volume of about half a cubic foot, compared to about one-third cubic foot for the two existing flat-rate boxes. The new box measures 12 inches by 12 inches by 5½ inches. The two current flat-rate boxes cost $8.95 to mail to domestic and APO or FPO addresses, and will still be available. They come in two different shapes. Customers can begin using the new flat-rate box at the new mailing rates March 3. The boxes will be available online by Feb. 20 at http://www.usps.com/supplies, or by calling (800) 610-8734 , but will be weighed and charged at the usual postal rates if they are mailed before March 3, said Postal Service spokeswoman Melissa Dodge.

Postal officials will provide a special version of the box for the military, featuring the logo of "America Supports You," a Defense Department-sponsored program designed to bring together more than 300 charitable and support groups and connect them with service members and their families. The new package also will feature an address box for APO and FPO addresses. The military boxes will be distributed on a more limited basis, Dodge said, primarily in areas closer to installations. But the discount depends on the address, not the box, she noted. All of the larger flat-rate boxes will receive the $2 military discount if they are mailed to an APO or FPO address. The Postal Service's Board of Governors approved the box Jan. 17, and stated in their decision that the discounted mailing fee "provides an opportunity for the Postal Service to assist American troops stationed abroad and their families."

The larger box also can be used for international shipping, but is more expensive if not sent to an APO or FPO address - $29.95 to Canada and Mexico and $49.95 to all other countries.

Thanks Tina! I was wondering when they were going to come out! I'm tired of squeezing my cookies in the other boxes!:)

Thanks for the info Tina!

I've been sick and tired of trying to cram everything into those smaller boxes! It's about time we finally got something a little bit bigger. When you put in some cookies, there isn't room for terribly much else in the current ones!

I don't think the boxes look any bigger to be honest. It's a bigger version of the shoe box flat rate so don't get your hopes up lol for more space for cookies. I put my cookies in leftover Christmas tins and put them in those tall flat rate boxes. Ya'll are right though not a whole lot of space. I don't even bother send one box at a time anymore. Today two went out and this weekend another one goes out.

Thanks for the info,hopefully my son can use those for all the beanies for Bahgdad he has in his room. He's been going through his and my collection and getting a lot to send. He also spent some of his money for suckers to include in the boxes. He was excited to see marked down ones from Valentines that he could buy twice as many for his dollars:cool1:

So the prices for the flat-rate will be going up except for military and we get a slightly larger box?

I just got my pack of 10 I ordered from the post office yesterday. Havent opened them yet to look at the size. But I like how it says America Supports you on them!

I picked up two of the bigger boxes yesterday. They don't look much bigger to me.

I'm always mailing things to my DD in Fl. Later in the year, , her DH will be headed overseas, I'm sure.

I'm sure he'll be getting F15's.

herc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter