New Member Education Team

luvthatdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

We just purchased SSR direct last week and in all of the paperwork we received there is a reminder to set up a time to speak with the New Member Education Team. Is this required? Is it worth doing?

I believe I can learn anything I need to know here. We are not going until Sept 2019 so I cannot book yet. Has anyone done this and is it really necessary?

They basically give you a call and have a chat and ask if you need any answers to any questions.
Personally it didn't help me at all, but the chap who called was very pleasant. I wouldn't bother if you don't feel you could get anything out of it.

It must not really be necessary because I never did it. And I have never been to a DVC presentation. I just studied by myself including places like this board.

I have purchased 8 contracts, five of them direct and three by resale. I know they assigned me a personal counselor since she is the one who helped me buy my direct contracts. However I never spoke to the Education team after that.

From what I could see it really was just something to cover the basics and help you get oriented and answer any questions you might have. But by no means would they go into anywhere near the detail that people talk about on these boards.

So my advice would be that if you are new, and are not well grounded in the basics of DVC then it would probably be a worthwhile thing. You need to have at least some idea of what you were doing. However, otherwise, not necessary.

Since the orientation people are not the people who use DVC, they probably can answer lots of detailed questions if you know what to ask. But, they don't really understand necessarily what you need to know and what you will be doing, so if you don't have the knowledge to ask in the first place then they can't help much. I certainly feel that there are many more, much more, knowledgeable people on this board.

Last edited:
I am fairly sure when we purchased years ago, there was no such thing as a New Member Education Team. Also, when I think back to all my contacts with anyone employed by DVC, my conclusion is that those on these boards know far more about DVC, how it works, and what you need to do to assure getting a room than anyone I ever talked to at DVC. Nevertheless, if you want to have what is likely to be a friendly conversation that might provide some basics, you might consider it.

We did some sort of a welcome call last year. The person we spoke with was also a DVC member himself and had been for years. We found the call to be very informative and we had already done a lot of “research” ourselves. I am sure it is completely optional but you never know what you might learn that would helpful to you.

We did some sort of a welcome call last year. The person we spoke with was also a DVC member himself and had been for years. We found the call to be very informative and we had already done a lot of “research” ourselves. I am sure it is completely optional but you never know what you might learn that would helpful to you.

Yes, this is true.

Last edited:

They do put out these call things now and then. We've gotten a few prior to upcoming trips. In fact, had a message from someone a week or two ago which I assume was related to our trip coming up in November. Those have ended up being nothing more than a "thanks for calling" thing. You could do the call but you'd be able to get the same, maybe more information here so if it's taking any effort to do the call or you just don't feel like it I wouldn't be concerned about missing it.

Did they perhaps just change the name of the Quality Assurance Team?

I don’t think so, because I think I did get a call from the quality assurance team.

We had the call a year ago when we bought our direct contract. The guy was very nice and helpful. I wouldn’t have done it myself as I have done quite a bit of research, but it was perfect to get my husband up to speed in about 30 minutes. I think it depends on how much you know and if you have questions that you would like to ask.

Honestly, I didn't make the call when we purchased our initial contract back in 2016. I felt I learned enough from these boards that I didn't need make that call. We're going to be booking our third DVC stay for next year.

I bought direct this February, and scheduled this phone call because I thought it was required...but I could've skipped it. My aunt has been a DVC member for years and when I have questions, I usually go to her first. It was nice to chat with a DVC CM, and have them say "Welcome Home" that first time, but I think if you've done your research and had good Vacation Guide, the call isn't really necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts