New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe Disney did something like this without clearing
it with their lawyers first
They may have approved the actual policy, but I am betting they haven't approved all of the freestyle policy that is going on.

The fact that the policy is being implemented so many various ways isn't going to help Disney if someone decides to file a suit.

Yes and these articles have been going on almost a year.

There are quite a few things that match up perfectly with this scenario. These checks can flag rooms for something like this. The one thing that upset me is it seemed like they were not just checking rooms but actually checking guests. This makes more sense than assuming we are all the LV guy. We honestly don't know if folks who are being checked while there .... aren't being checked in person because they already looked at your room and a red flag popped up. This makes perfect sense for our second "checkup".

My DS1 is disabled and while very much an adult, functions as a young child. Our room had 3 adults registered, adult clothing etc .... but children's books, hot wheels lined up perfectly, a stuffed critter, toy story blanket ...... none of which matched our registered group.

The second day we left early, they had HOURS to check our room. All other checks had been early in morning, but that day we left early so I assumed they came while we were gone. We returned late afternoon because he needed to rest. As we walked down the "hall" towards our room a man popped out the other end coming from stairs area ... walking towards us. We met at our room. I said that is our room. He gave us the long spiel of checking (I couldn't understand a word but had heard it the day before). I told him I would not open the door but he could. He did. He set the lock so I watched. He walked through looking around, in the bath and disappeared into shower area. Came out shutting door (as he should), walked away and disappeared. He did not check any of the other 12 rooms on my row or the 12 I could see on other wing. With a shortage would it not be more efficient to check all the rooms he needed to at once ........... or was it me he was checking? It was unsettling at the moment because I felt confident he was showing up because we did .... MB.

I have NEVER had issue with MB, I know they track and I think in the long run it will be good for both guests and Disney. It hit me ............... he was meeting me there. He was checking no one else, just us and he met us at the door. His whole mannerism was strange. I really do think these checks with people are on purpose to put eyes on guests, not just rooms. Maybe our room contents had been a red flag in the morning; that they had come before. Our first day's check they did not enter but looked past us at a glance. Now our second day I think they had entered since we left early, and then returned when we did to put eyes on us. He got his eye-full and saw DS (it's obvious) .... room contents now matched guest.
(my prior post responds to this; failed to quote)

They may have approved the actual policy, but I am betting they haven't approved all of the freestyle policy that is going on.

The fact that the policy is being implemented so many various ways isn't going to help Disney if someone decides to file a suit.
What do you mean by that? There is a policy and Disney is going through with it. I don't believe it is being implemented in different ways. If someone files suit Disney will point to the policy that they reserve the right to check the room.

What do you mean by that? There is a policy and Disney is going through with it. I don't believe it is being implemented in different ways. If someone files suit Disney will point to the policy that they reserve the right to check the room.
Well, we turned down housekeeping. I was still getting dressed, so my husband told them that and closed the door. They didn't enter the room, while I was undressed. Amazingly enough, our trash was not emptied that day. So, if someone came back, they waited an hour and did it after we left the room.

Others have had "security" come right over.

I wonder which one is the actual policy.

We were also able, about halfway through our trip, to schedule our trash service. Which meant that we weren't bothered for a few days. They arrived after we had left for the parks.

Since if I were up to something, scheduling when I let you in to look around, would defeat the purpose, I wonder what the actual policy says.

The fact that Disney can't seem to quote a policy is also thought provoking. Is it because of how it is being implemented?

That's what I mean.

3 adults registered to a room, with child toys. I fully understand (see below) but that has a red flag the hotel industry is told to look for (re h.t. not LV) - and if they guess wrong will be held liable for. Hotel personnel shouldn’t be talked out of closely checking such rooms imo.

My DS is adult sized, cognitively disabled and brings to our hotel room prek age toys. I intend to explain this in detail at check in with DS next to me and his IQ test and handicap placard and photos of him meeting princesses. And still expect to be answering the door morning or late afternoon (the times the news articles says hotels should check for activity). And expect them to search our room. Frankly I’d be concerned if they didn’t now knowing this horrible situation. (Thanks to pp - I now can be prepared for this.)

I hear you ....... but we have been traveling to Disney as adults only in the room, many times a year, with these same items for 16 years (when he became a legal adult). Last year we were in Disney hotels 4 times. This is surely nothing we have ever experienced before.

AND I don't want anyone to think we are the exception .... there are many adults who travel with "toys" especially to Disney, who may have clothes or other items that seem out of the ordinary for their age especially to Disney or maybe there are other items they key on that will still trigger a visit. I normally don't give a darn about what folks think of my child ... but if my family is now a target because of his disability, I have a problem, especially if I am expected to be on display for them.

At this point I have two spring trips booked, both offsite.

Well, we turned down housekeeping. I was still getting dressed, so my husband told them that and closed the door. They didn't enter the room, while I was undressed. Amazingly enough, our trash was not emptied that day. So, if someone came back, they waited an hour and did it after we left the room.

We were also able, about halfway through our trip, to schedule our trash service. Which meant that we weren't bothered for a few days. They arrived after we had left for the parks.

Since if I were up to something, scheduling when I let you in to look around, would defeat the purpose, I wonder what the actual policy says.

The fact that Disney can't seem to quote a policy is also thought provoking. Is it because of how it is being implemented?

That's what I mean.
Right now it seems to be dependent on the CM I guess. The policy is Disney reserves the right to enter the room. It is still new and I am sure things will become more uniform however with that if Disney only check at one certain time during the day people will catch onto that which would defeat the purpose of random checks.

I hear you ....... but we have been traveling to Disney as adults only in the room, many times a year, with these same items for 16 years (when he became a legal adult). Last year we were in Disney hotels 4 times. This is surely nothing we have ever experienced before.

AND I don't want anyone to think we are the exception .... there are many adults who travel with "toys" especially to Disney, who may have clothes or other items that seem out of the ordinary for their age especially to Disney or maybe there are other items they key on that will still trigger a visit. I normally don't give a darn about what folks think of my child ... but if my family is now a target because of his disability, I have a problem, especially if I am expected to be on display for them.

At this point I have two spring trips booked, both offsite.
We always travel with "toys" or at least various stuffed animals. Our last trip, I brought half a dozen. And our last two trips were just myself and my husband. We also pack at least one game, various kid type candy and tons of fun t-shirts or Disney related clothes.

It would be amazing to me that Disney would see any of that as a red flag.

I would be very surprised if criminals actually see Disney as a place to stay while trying to hold someone captive. Way too many people around, and other than a couple of resorts, way to long of a walk from your car to your room. And when you get down to it, way too expensive. These people aren't looking for a resort experience. Why pay for it?

We always travel with "toys" or at least various stuffed animals. Our last trip, I brought half a dozen. And our last two trips were just myself and my husband. We also pack at least one game, various kid type candy and tons of fun t-shirts or Disney related clothes.

It would be amazing to me that Disney would see any of that as a red flag.

I would be very surprised if criminals actually see Disney as a place to stay while trying to hold someone captive. Way too many people around, and other than a couple of resorts, way to long of a walk from your car to your room. And when you get down to it, way too expensive. These people aren't looking for a resort experience. Why pay for it?

What would seem common sense just doesn't apply in this industry. The articles I've read, Disney is the common denominator. It's the perfect place for them. The theory seems to be, they bring the service to those willing to pay, sadly stated as "family men" and a large base of "internationals". They are people on vacation. They are paying a large amount of money. Most these children are not going to do anything to alert or escape.

In the end we will never get the straight story from Disney on why this is happening and in such a strange way. If it is this, they will never acknowledge it (and they shouldn't since it won't help anyone if they do). We all will just have to watch how this change impacts our trips and make the best decision for ourselves. It is what it is.

That's what I mean.

See the couple times I stopped back at the room, I had my cell ready to video any interaction and had planned to say we were "Naked and Afraid", and see (video) where it went from there.

Not even a knock, dang. :badpc:

Stay the Swan and Dolphin. You won't need to rent a car, but you will need to pay to get to the resort. You still get many Disney perks without the daily room check.

Yep not a peep (no pun intended) for 2 rooms last week at the Swan, 7 nights room 1039 and I think 1003. There were some am and afternoon breaks taken at those.

Last edited:
See the couple times I stopped back at the room, I had my cell ready to video any interaction and had planned to say we were "Naked and Afraid", and see (video) where it went from there.

Not even a knock, dang. :badpc:
:worship::lmao::rotfl2:

I was referring to the ambulance-chasing lawyers that will come after Disney, not Disney's army of grifters.

Morgan & Morgan...for the people...yeah, right.

The thing that I found interesting about this... if it is human trafficking that is the reason for this is --- why allow so many options to opt out of contact with CMs.... You don't have to go to the desk at check in anymore, you can opt to skip housekeeping at Values/some mods, etc.... both of which they should stop before they institute random checks of every guest. The front desk and housekeeping could easily be the first eyes on a problem.

We use the same MDE account for every trip so they know, our contact/address/credit card info, who we travel with, where we stay, we add our flight info, they can see our ADR numbers, our extra event bookings, where we stay and who is in our party, where we eat, which parks we go to , which rides we like, what events we're willing to part with additional dollars for, what we buy, our mousekeeping history, etc.... Big data is important... if WDW were using it right this would not be an issue.... If they're not using this data in making their decisions it's not excusable... someone/or many people should be fired.

These checks should be defined by the data WDW already has about previous guests (and yes this may mean new guests get more checks --- but really it's like any business relationship --- disney knows regular, return guests more than new guests...) Also when you think of it they can see more of you than you even think ---- facebook, twitter, internet postings, blogs, etc....

Each time we've been there recently the front desk person has engaged my son in conversation at check in (since we're international guests we have to pick up our magic bands at the desk) --- so maybe everyone should have this initial interaction -- if this is really a concern versus a lawsuit checklist..

Last edited:
The thing that I found interesting about this... if it is human trafficking that is the reason for this is --- why allow so many options to opt out of contact with CMs.... You don't have to go to the desk at check in anymore, you can opt to skip housekeeping at Values/Pops, etc.... both of which they should stop before they institute random checks of every guest. The front desk and housekeeping could easily be the first eyes on a problem.

We use the same MDE account for every trip so they know who we travel with, where we stay, we add our flight info, they can see our ADR numbers, our extra event bookings, where we stay and who is in our party, where we eat, which parks we go to , which rides like, what events we're willing to part with additional dollars for, what we buy, our mousekeeping history, etc.... Big data is important... if WDW were using it right this would not be an issue.... If they're not using this data in making their decisions it's not excusable... someone should be fired. These checks should be defined by the data WDW already has about previous guests (and yes this may mean new guests get more checks --- but really it's like any business relationship --- disney knows regular, return guests more than new guests...) Also when you think of it they can see more of you than you even think ---- facebook, twitter, internet postings, blogs, etc....

Each time we've been there recently the front desk person has engaged my son in conversation at check in (since we're international guests we have to pick up our magic bands at the desk) --- so maybe everyone should have this initial interaction -- if this is really a concern versus a lawsuit checklist..

Great points! Disney created a situation in which they don't want to greet guests at the front desk or provide housekeeping. Then they decide they MUST go in every room to check on guests. They are giving up on their first line of defense- the interaction at the front desk.

The thing that I found interesting about this... if it is human trafficking that is the reason for this is --- why allow so many options to opt out of contact with CMs.... You don't have to go to the desk at check in anymore, you can opt to skip housekeeping at Values/Pops, etc.... both of which they should stop before they institute random checks of every guest. The front desk and housekeeping could easily be the first eyes on a problem.

We use the same MDE account for every trip so they know, our contact/address/credit card info, who we travel with, where we stay, we add our flight info, they can see our ADR numbers, our extra event bookings, where we stay and who is in our party, where we eat, which parks we go to , which rides we like, what events we're willing to part with additional dollars for, what we buy, our mousekeeping history, etc.... Big data is important... if WDW were using it right this would not be an issue.... If they're not using this data in making their decisions it's not excusable... someone/or many people should be fired.

These checks should be defined by the data WDW already has about previous guests (and yes this may mean new guests get more checks --- but really it's like any business relationship --- disney knows regular, return guests more than new guests...) Also when you think of it they can see more of you than you even think ---- facebook, twitter, internet postings, blogs, etc....

Brilliant new perspective.

Great points! Disney created a situation in which they don't want to greet guests at the front desk or provide housekeeping. Then they decide they MUST go in every room to check on guests. They are giving up on their first line of defense- the interaction at the front desk.

True but I don't want to stand in line at the front desk. I love getting texted my room number and being able to go straiht thre. Saves tons of time

True but I don't want to stand in line at the front desk. I love getting texted my room number and being able to go straiht thre. Saves tons of time

Well... as long as you don't care about this human trafficking stuff why should anyone else if it causes an inconvenience for them?

There's this part of me that says "try to understand the perspective" ... but I really can't --- clearly no one with a US address/credit card/cell phone number would do this nefarious human trafficking stuff....?

Your 5 minutes wasted at the front desk or allowing housekeeping means that random checks/intrusions of all non-US visitors is warranted? Fantastically awesome if this catches on US-wide --- I'm guessing you won't have to worry about too many more of us foreign tourists spending money in the US. Good on ya'.

Well... as long as you don't care about this human trafficking stuff why should anyone else if it inconveniences them? There's this part of me that says try to understand the perspective ... but I really can't --- clearly no one with a US address/credit card/cell phone number would do this nefarious human trafficking stuff....?

Your 5 minutes wasted at the front desk or allowing housekeeping means that random checks/intrusions of all non-US visitors is warranted?

I really don't see how much they are going to be able to see at the front desk anyway. If I was doing human trafficking I'd leave them in the car, do my checkin and then head up. I'm not sure how a front desk visit would really help that much.

I also have no problems with HK coming by. I normally want them to come by every day and clean my room so come on by.

Well... as long as you don't care about this human trafficking stuff why should anyone else if it causes an inconvenience for them?

There's this part of me that says "try to understand the perspective" ... but I really can't --- clearly no one with a US address/credit card/cell phone number would do this nefarious human trafficking stuff....?

Your 5 minutes wasted at the front desk or allowing housekeeping means that random checks/intrusions of all non-US visitors is warranted? Fantastically awesome if this catches on US-wide --- I'm guessing you won't have to worry about too many more of us foreign tourists spending money in the US. Good on ya'.
I think both posters (you and the other poster) have points though.

However, front desk is only required of the main person who is on the reservation. Now that may lead to suspicious behavior coming out but it would probably have a low percentage of actually catching something in all honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!