New to Aulani...is it worth the long flight?

This is exactly what’s been holding us back. If we do get there, we are going to pay for the extra leg room seats. Would NEVER fly Southwest to Hawaii. Don’t care how much cheaper it is.

Southwest has yet to announce when it'll actually start service to the Islands. They are in the process of ETOPS certification. Hawaiian has announced they are going to fly to Boston. The fares were going for around 600 bucks R/T You could use Southwest or one of the cheaper airlines to get to the West Coast, and then book a separate fare to and from the island.

It may depend on the time of year too. We flew in May this year and again next May it is still the 767 (at a premium price). I had looked after the change and it seemed to be a new change and one going forward, at least the summer months. I agree, the Airbus is worth the extra, but I wouldn’t pay double hoping they would change it back to the Airbus. I am sure it has to do with demand, they want to fly a full plane.

Yeah, could be. Although, ironically, we flew in mid-late September which is a slower time of year for Hawaii travel and after the summer rush, and both of our flights were an Airbus and same for this year too. Maybe they have the Airbus dedicated to other routes in the busy summer months? Who knows! Airline logic is impossible to figure out! lol. But point being, the Airbus on Delta is still flown on some of the routes, so it would behoove the OP to confirm this before booking. Of course, always subject to change!

Yeah, could be. Although, ironically, we flew in mid-late September which is a slower time of year for Hawaii travel and after the summer rush, and both of our flights were an Airbus and same for this year too. Maybe they have the Airbus dedicated to other routes in the busy summer months? Who knows! Airline logic is impossible to figure out! lol. But point being, the Airbus on Delta is still flown on some of the routes, so it would behoove the OP to confirm this before booking. Of course, always subject to change!

I agree...you just never know with the airline logic. I am not sure what is going on with the trips in May/June thru ATL, the smaller planes then have higher prices, maybe that is their plan. OP just be happy you are going to Hawaii, if you are lucky to get on the Airbus...it is a fantastic trip, the 767 is just ok, but you still get to paradise. We picked to go thru LAX on American, it is definitely not an Airbus, but 1/2 the price of Delta's 767 so I will still get to Hawaii and save some money.

I like Southwest, but for me to fly coast-to-coast it is usually 3 hops. Hawaii would add a fourth hop.

If you are already on the West coast, Southwest to Hawaii may be a great deal, but not so much if you are on the East coast.

-Paul

Just a note to check fares from your city to the west coast and then Hawaiian Airlines' fares from the west coast to Hawaii. We've gotten two great deals this way!

Just a note to check fares from your city to the west coast and then Hawaiian Airlines' fares from the west coast to Hawaii. We've gotten two great deals this way!

Note that whenever flying two different airline companies on the same trip, be sure to allow extra time for connection. If one airline is late for any reason, the second airline is under no obligation to get you to your destination. You risk loosing the entire amount of the unrefundable fare and then have to buy an new expensive ticket for the next flight.

You can save some money with the is strategy, but be aware of the risk!

If you book with a single airline company, they will, if at all possible, get you to your destination regardless of delays.

-Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter