New to flying

Dawn68PA

DIS Veteran
My DH and I have always driven from PA. We always enjoy the drive, make a stop here and there, listen to music, sing badly...etc. After the last drive home, it took its toll. We were exhausted. We considered getting a hotel from now on but that’s an extra day each way.

So flying is now looking like the best option. Southwest out of BWI.

Neither of us have been on a plane in 20 years. So what advice do you have for finding fares, earning points (not sure anything about those), and flying in general? Needless to say, we’re a little nervous.

TIA!

If you're set on flying Southwest, sign up for their Rapid Rewards program on their website. They also have a credit card that offers X0,000 points if you sign up for the card and spend a certain amount within a few months. This could bankroll your trip depending on when you're flying.

A good place to familiarize yourself with Southwest is here:
https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-experience/index.html

Southwest has one cabin, so, no First Class or Business Class. However, there are different types of fares. The least expensive is Wanna Get Away; that is what you want to book. I suggest calling Southwest at (800) 435-9792 to get fare and flight info. They do not charge extra for this service. I would let the agent know that you have not flown in 20 years, so that everything can be explained to you. If you don't understand, or they are going over everything too fast, just let them know.

Like most airlines, these days, there will be no meal service. There will be complimentary coffee, tea, juice, soft drinks, as well as pretzels and/or a small snack pack.

There is no charge to bring a carry-on that fits in the overhead bin, as well as a personal item that can fit under the seat in front of you. Also, there is no charge for two checked bags, per person.

Right now, Southwest is accepting reservations for flights through 4/07/19. On 9/27/18, the schedule will be extended for flights through 6/08/19.

As there are no reserved seats on Southwest, I highly recommend purchasing the optional Early Bird check-in, priced between $15-$25 per person, per leg. That service will automatically check you in and assign you a boarding number. The lower your boarding number, the more selection you will have of available seats, when you board the flights.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have.

This will be a very good experience, and you'll wonder why it took so long for you to make the decision to fly. :)

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the quick responses! I will make the recommended call and see what advice they have as well. The tip on boarding will be huge! We will be driving one last time in January so we can get an Owner’s Locker. The first flight will be in September 2019.

Anything else, feel free to add! We’re excited to take this next step!

Wow, thank you for the quick responses! I will make the recommended call and see what advice they have as well. The tip on boarding will be huge! We will be driving one last time in January so we can get an Owner’s Locker. The first flight will be in September 2019.

Anything else, feel free to add! We’re excited to take this next step!

You will be amazed at how much time and energy you’ll save by flying. As for me, I spent the better part of my good days on aircraft so I prefer to make the 18 hour trip via car. Lol

A couple pointers from rusty wings...

When booking flights, don’t be afraid to check departures from smaller airports. A lot of times, the fare can be cheaper from a non hub with a connection via a hub city. Also parking at regional airports can save a bundle. Just make sure not to click on the first cheap fare. Many times, these are built with next to impossible connect times for larger airports. (DAL’s infamous 35 min connections in ATL, nope)
Also, check your fees. Some carriers charge for just about everything a la carte. (My 401k grows from bags alone )
Remember, it’s been 20 years and a lot has changed. Familiarize yourself with TSA rules.
If you have questions, I’d be more than happy to try to answer them or point you in the right direction.

I live near Harrisburg and Southwest doesn’t fly from here. BWI is the closest. I looked flying Frontier but since they ding for every little thing, it’s actually less expensive to go from BWI....including parking.

We are going to miss the 16-18 hour drive. We have so much fun. But we aren’t getting any younger and knew this day would be coming. It’s bittersweet.

I understand about missing the drive. Since there isn’t a Waffle House in MI, I have to get my hashbrowns in OH. Then there’s Mimi’s Cafe in Knoxville followed by the pecan place near Valdosta.
I did some quick searches. Now this isn’t for Sep2019 because those fares aren’t released yet but an extrapolation. These are estimates.
Harrisburg to Orlando on Delta $380 rt
BWI to Orlando Delta $270 rt
BWI to Orlando Southwest $200 get away fares if offered.
I can look into others if you wish.

Wow you’re a wiz! I tried looking up different dates and fares a little earlier but it gets cinfua8ng quick lol. I am guess8ng I will have to look daily for new deals.

Wow you’re a wiz! I tried looking up different dates and fares a little earlier but it gets cinfua8ng quick lol. I am guess8ng I will have to look daily for new deals.

Southwest often have sales that start on Tuesdays. I’d check fares for the middle of October and November.

Southwest is different from other airlines in that if your flights go down in cost, you can get a credit for the fare difference. They won't notify you, though; you have to keep checking. That credit is valid to use for future travel on Southwest, which must be completed within one year, from original purchase date. Most other airlines will not do this, and will charge a sizeable fee to make changes or cancel. With Southwest, there are no fees to change or cancel; if changing a flight, you pay the current fare, without any additional fees. They are more flexible than any other airline, in this respect.

I recommend waiting till Southwest flights come out for your dates, before reserving anything.

Southwest can only be booked thru their website. They aren't listed under other travel sites.
Compare fairs with other airlines by looking at travel sites such as Kayak.com which lists fares for most other airlines.
Southwest is free checked bags while most others charge around $25 per bag each way so figure that cost in.
Southwest even with the free bags is not always the cheapest but as others have noted they do not have a change fee like others do. So if the rate drops prior after you've booked you can rebook at the lower rate and get a credit towards another flight at another time.

Love SWA. We have a SWA CC and book our trips with points. If we need to cancel flights its not a problem we get all of our points and money refunded. If your flight price drops you get the difference refunded you just have to check your flight prices daily. The SWA employee's are very nice.

Also review the TSA website about what is/is not allowed to carry through security. Even some seasoned travelers seem clueless about the rules (or think they are somehow exempt) and takes up a LOT of other people's time when that happens.

I will admit that I originally did not like SW for the cattle call seating, etc., but have come to like it.

1. If you know your dates well in advance, and are traveling at a busy time of year, check to see when SW will be releasing it's schedule and book right that day. If prices go down and seats are available, you can get a discount.

2. Do the Early Bird Check-in. We see it as part of the cost of the trip and it evens out with not paying for checked bags. Be prepared, though, there are people who will try to get on the plane and "save" two rows of seats while paying for one EB and the flight attendants will not do anything. It is an issue and a debate.

3. Get yourself some luggage that is NOT BLACK if you do plan to check it, and SW is free. My DBF made fun of me for purchasing obnoxious Vera Bradley luggage, until we were in the terminal and he saw it being loaded onto the plane! The Weekender, Grand Traveler and Large Duffel are also carry on complaint and fit in the overhead even on the small planes that make you gate check your rolling carry-ons which can be a huge time saver if you have a short connection.

4. I am a very anxious flier, so I like to take the first flight out on the day we leave for vacation. A little later returning home! I check the airline website to see what gate we're out of then check to see if the incoming flight is leaving on time.

I assume you say “not black” because everyone’s is black? DH has black luggage.....I have a bright pink bag with pineapples on it LOL

I assume you say “not black” because everyone’s is black? DH has black luggage.....I have a bright pink bag with pineapples on it LOL
So many people are beginning to choose colorful luggage for this reason that eventually the trend might reverse and black could become the new pineapple...

Last edited:
I do travel with black luggage, but I attach unique, brightlly-colored luggage tags to distinguish my bags from others.

The bag tags not only discourage others from grabbing my bags, but they also make it so much easier to quickly spot my bags, when they appear on the baggage carousel.

We always fly from atl to mco for Disney as we cannot stand sitting in the car that long either.

Give yourself plenty of time to get to airport and to the gate. We usually eat lunch at the airport just because it is less stressful for us.

Do familiarize yourself with TSA rules especially the 311 rule and what needs to come out of bags and comes off your body to be checked. Last time we flew there was a woman in front of us who had to throw away her liter sized shampoo and conditioner before she could pass through TSA. Kind of felt sorry for her, but then kind of didn't.

Also look into the different options for airport to Disney resort. As we have gotten older we have less patience for DME. We booked at town car service for this year's trip. Not a fan of standing waiting to be taken to the resort or getting on a bus so early waiting to pick people up before getting back to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter