New TSA rules

I applied for global entry a few weeks ago (interview is next week) and now I'm even more glad I decided to do it. I travel with lots of stuff. Laptop, iPad, kindle, and with photography being a large focus of much of my travel, lots of camera gear. Going through normal security having to pull out the camera stuff would be awful...especially if each item has to go in a bin by itself like with the laptops. Hoping with new requirement doesn't last long.

Hoping with new requirement doesn't last long.

Sadly, just like taking off your shoes, I don't see this going away anytime soon.

In fact, with security you continuously evaluate your policies and procedures, and make things even more secure. That mean adding more layers or additional rules and restrictions.

However, there is new scanning technology that will allow the screeners to see a 3D view of the contents of your bag. If that technology is implemented, the "take everything out" rules *might* be relaxed.

I travel with a lot of electronics and photo/video gear. For me, I said enough and will drive or take the train if its available.

Having a KTN doesn't automatically allow you Pre-Check. I was through the process and had a number in a few weeks. We have local offices here in metro Detroit so no need for an airport visit. I have flown 4 times since then and have yet to receive Pre-check. The decision is still up to DHS and it is evaluated at the time of check-in. Your name also has to match exactly between your ticket and your government documents. I created my Delta profile long before all this started and only used my middle initial. Still trying to get it sorted out with Delta because that is why I don't get Pre-check even though I have a KTN.

Having a KTN doesn't automatically allow you Pre-Check. I was through the process and had a number in a few weeks. We have local offices here in metro Detroit so no need for an airport visit. I have flown 4 times since then and have yet to receive Pre-check. The decision is still up to DHS and it is evaluated at the time of check-in. Your name also has to match exactly between your ticket and your government documents. I created my Delta profile long before all this started and only used my middle initial. Still trying to get it sorted out with Delta because that is why I don't get Pre-check even though I have a KTN.

Delta gave me the worst problem. When I called I said TSA has request that I update my name on file. Please update my middle name to my legal middle name which is ___ ____. They wanted to charge me 50 extra bucks per a ticket but I held my ground and refused to pay that telling them it was not me doing it but rather the government asking for this change and that no other airline charged the fee because it was requested by the TSA. Supposably the charge was because I booked through Am Ex and not directly through them but even after they said they would charge the 50 unless I went through Am Ex when I called Am Ex travel their agent said the change had already been taken care of so Delta must have just given in.

We don't travel much (1-2x/year at most) and carry with us a laptop, tablet, our cell phones and our Kindles because no way am I gonna check those items! As infrequent travelers, we decided that pre-check isn't really worth it for us. So, in October, we're going to slog it through with the unwashed barefoot masses and get frisked.

Questions for those of you NOT enrolled in pre-check:
  • Is TSA requiring a separate BIN for every device, or can you put multiple devices in one bin? If so, the 2 of us, we'll need 10 bins to handle our electronics, shoes, etc! Might as well hire a danged caravan and circus tent!
  • Do they require us to take out battery packs / chargers (because that danged MDE app sucks your battery in the park faster than anything!)?
  • How do they ensure that some unscrupulous traveler doesn't just walk off with your stuff while the agents are oogling your middle aged fat rolls in the scanning machine?

We don't travel much (1-2x/year at most) and carry with us a laptop, tablet, our cell phones and our Kindles because no way am I gonna check those items! As infrequent travelers, we decided that pre-check isn't really worth it for us. So, in October, we're going to slog it through with the unwashed barefoot masses and get frisked.

• Is TSA requiring a separate BIN for every device, or can you put multiple devices in one bin? If so, the 2 of us, we'll need 10 bins to handle our electronics, shoes, etc! Might as well hire a danged caravan and circus tent!
  • Do they require us to take out battery packs / chargers (because that danged MDE app sucks your battery in the park faster than anything!)?
  • How do they ensure that some unscrupulous traveler doesn't just walk off with your stuff while the agents are oogling your middle aged fat rolls in the scanning machine?
1. Yes. For every device.
2. We had to do this. We had three with us.
3. They don't.

1. Yes. For every device.
2. We had to do this. We had three with us.
3. They don't.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly - your answers are so helpful!

1. I will begin booking elephants and jugglers for the dang circus caravan that we will need.

2. I may just put all my chargers (we have quite a few because, well, we're nerds) in a zip top bag and let them deal with it.

3. Boo...your tax dollars at work. I'll just hope & pray, I guess.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly - your answers are so helpful!

1. I will begin booking elephants and jugglers for the dang circus caravan that we will need.

2. I may just put all my chargers (we have quite a few because, well, we're nerds) in a zip top bag and let them deal with it.

3. Boo...your tax dollars at work. I'll just hope & pray, I guess.
Our last excursion home from mco was an ordeal. 60 minutes in security and they kept making everyone change lines. TSA folks screaming (I mean belittling screaming) at people and then I watched them just bang around everyone's electronics. We have 3 trips upcoming and maybe a few more. We got pre check just because of our experience at MCO. My mother had it while we were in the regular line and she was in and out no problem.

I'm glad that I can drive to WDW and don't have to fly

Me too!

How do they ensure that some unscrupulous traveler doesn't just walk off with your stuff while the agents are oogling your middle aged fat rolls in the scanning machine?

As Capang said, they don't. I've read accounts of thefts of laptops, purses and other valuable items from the bins on the conveyor belt. The more bins you have, the harder it will be for you to keep track of all of them. I just thought of this: Maybe TSA is just trying to discourage us from taking electronics?

TSA folks screaming (I mean belittling screaming) at people

I once witnessed a TSA agent and his supervisor screaming (yes, screaming) at each other in the airport in Philadelphia. Very unprofessional behavior on both their parts, and a supervisor who couldn't supervise.

They should get smart lanes and dogs like Atlanta. I flew out of there a couple weeks ago, they had an explosives sniffing dog making rounds in the queuing area then you didn't need to remove shoes or take electronics out of your bags.
Of course, since that's different from most airports, people were confused. But hey, cute dog.

I believe you just told us that PRE does not work. Can I ask you to elaborate? Or have your issues been with Delta?

VERY important to my wife and I - also in MI, also tend to fly Delta...

I believe you just told us that PRE does not work. Can I ask you to elaborate? Or have your issues been with Delta?

VERY important to my wife and I - also in MI, also tend to fly Delta...

It sound's like Lynn's issue was the fact that the ticket reservation name and the KTN/TSA PRE name did not match exactly. They must match to get TSA PRE. I've had precheck for a couple years and about a dozen or so flights. I've always gotten it.

It sound's like Lynn's issue was the fact that the ticket reservation name and the KTN/TSA PRE name did not match exactly. They must match to get TSA PRE. I've had precheck for a couple years and about a dozen or so flights. I've always gotten it.

Yes, names must match 100% between the reservation and the KTN. However, even if everything is perfect having a KTN does not guarantee that you will be able to use the TSA PRE line every time. I believe it is something like you get it 80-90% of the time. They reserve the right to randomly deny the use of Precheck to anyone as "added security". See this FAQ on their site: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequent...-eligible-am-i-guaranteed-expedited-screening

We had a very adventurous security check last week at the Vegas airport! One person had a medical dog Doberman and another person had a medical dog Pit Bull going through security screening. Both dogs had lots of metal on their collars so the Doberman's owner removed some of the collars and the dog got away and starting running after the Pit Bull. It was SO DRAMATIC! LOL! Security was not happy about that. Neither were most of the people waiting an extra 10 minutes to be screened while they caught the Doberman.

We were wondering where these dogs are put on planes. Are there TSA rules about this?

Does anyone know if 3DS counts as something you have to take out? I'm worried something that small will go missing fast....I've had them take my laptop for extra screening without a word to me before.

1. Large electronics come out in separate bins ( laptops, c-pap/b-pap machines, or large gaming consoles ) tablets and such stay in the bag in most airports FOR NOW (that will be changing soon).
2. Battery packs always stay attached or in your bag I've never had anyone have to take those out.
3. Every airport has HUNDRENDS of cameras not only on the checkpoint but throughout the entire airport. If anyone other than yourself grabbed your property they would be able to find that person in a matter of minutes.

I think people constantly forget that although screening may be an inconvenience to some it is for the overall safety of the traveling public.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter