New Universal commercial

Well this Disney kid... who is a grandmother will never out grow WDW. My BIL works for Universal and we can get tickets when we want, the thing is we will get them for something new or special we want to see, like the Macys parade... But we go see what we want to see then out. While is fun.... Its not magical and just doesn't compare... its not apples to apples....

universal has its pros as well as cons, just like disney, and im a disney lifer. Universal in my opinion is more of a young adult vibe unless you are a Disney goer from a young age like me and you grow up in it and are invested in the memeories you have made as well as the ones you hope to make in the future

I haven't seen the commercial, but the marketing slogan makes sense to me. It is at least popular perception that Universal has more "big kid" rides, as well as adult beverages in the parks and centrally located night clubs. They may as well push that in their advertisements to hold or get more market share.

I bought annual passes to Universal this year. My kids are 11 and 13. Our trip in February was our first ever, and we've been twice since with at least one more trip planned before the APs expire. It's been a very fun year! We feel pretty lucky to have both WDW and Universal available to enjoy.

Is this like the ones they have had for a while where they go from kid to kid who says "I'm ready" - and they show one girl packing away a princess dress and then wearing a wizard robe, etc.?

I think they make sense and is the market they are going for - they know they can't compete for the toddler set so they are trying to get the kids to push their parents to go to Universal as they get older. I bit of a dig/bit sneaky but nothing too bad

I think those commercials are brilliant. I'm not a coaster guy, so I'm always less interested in Universal and haven't been in over a decade, but I assume in a few years when my kids have read Harry Potter we will make the pilgrimage. I did really like the first 5 HP books, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But Disney is where my childhood memories were made and will always be my first choice.

I think those commercials are brilliant. I'm not a coaster guy, so I'm always less interested in Universal and haven't been in over a decade, but I assume in a few years when my kids have read Harry Potter we will make the pilgrimage. I did really like the first 5 HP books, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But Disney is where my childhood memories were made and will always be my first choice.

my oldest (8 years old) has made it quite known she wants to go to Universal - really just for Harry Potter ... so I am sure those commercials (or really any that show off the Wizarding World of Harry Potter) have played a role in her desires

I don't think Universal can be considered just for coasters anymore,I mean right now they're dismantling Dragon Challenge (Dueling Dragons),one of the two original coasters at Islands of Adventure.I'm actually very sad about this as it was a great coaster,the replacement will be a more heavily themed Potter coaster but will definitely not be as thrilling which is what I feel both Disney and Universal are going for in their future projects,coasters but more laid back ones that most people will ride,the days of bigger coasters are gone at Universal.Even Epcot is getting a coaster,I would be surprised if its as intense as Rock n Roller coaster.If Universal were to be classified currently its not coasters but simulator rides,its gotten to the point most of their rides are simulators of some kind.

Also the Potter bandwagon has no signs of stopping as this is the last year for the Bill and Ted show at Halloween Horror nights which is right next door to Diagon Alley and the rumored location for a Ministry of Magic attraction.

I love the ad because it is very true for us. DS got me to go and we haven't looked back. The irony is that his Mom is a bigger Universal fanatic than he is.

I kind of feel that is spot on for our family. While we still love Disney, Universal is as much a part of our trip to Orlando. It is without a doubt my Happy Place. Disney has more of a nostalgic feel to me while Universal is more "now" to me.

Disney is geared to children more, and there are more children there. With faster coasters, taller height requirements, and events like Halloween Horror Nights, I think it is wise to indicate that Universal is more of an older kid/teen/adult place. There are activities for the younger set, but there is a lot little kids can't do. When DD was 8. she could ride everything at Disney, but there were still a few rides she couldn't do yet at Universal. When she was 10, we went to MNSSHP, but she didn't get to go to HHN until she was 13 (and even then, I chose to do a RIP Tour to shelter from some of the adult behavior).

I kind of feel that is spot on for our family. While we still love Disney, Universal is as much a part of our trip to Orlando. It is without a doubt my Happy Place. Disney has more of a nostalgic feel to me while Universal is more "now" to me.

Disney is geared to children more, and there are more children there. With faster coasters, taller height requirements, and events like Halloween Horror Nights, I think it is wise to indicate that Universal is more of an older kid/teen/adult place. There are activities for the younger set, but there is a lot little kids can't do. When DD was 8. she could ride everything at Disney, but there were still a few rides she couldn't do yet at Universal. When she was 10, we went to MNSSHP, but she didn't get to go to HHN until she was 13 (and even then, I chose to do a RIP Tour to shelter from some of the adult behavior).

yeah, that is why for my daughter's trip to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter my wife and I are just going to take her and leave her younger brother and sister with my in-laws

I haven't been to Universal since 2000 - I suspect a few things have changed ;)

yeah, that is why for my daughter's trip to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter my wife and I are just going to take her and leave her younger brother and sister with my in-laws

I haven't been to Universal since 2000 - I suspect a few things have changed ;)

I think that is wise. I went for the first time in 2004, and it is very different now. Your DD will LOVE the Wizarding World areas if she is a Harry Potter fan. Its like being in the movie.

Anyone see the new Universal commercial that takes a shot at Disney? Tag line is “kids grow up and so do vacations”. Just found it interesting.

They've done local marketing with variations on the same premise for years...not too surprising

I love the ad because it is very true for us. DS got me to go and we haven't looked back. The irony is that his Mom is a bigger Universal fanatic than he is.

Same! DS chose Universal after he graduated high school - Mom is the one who can't get enough!

Thinking this was before the best/thrilling coaster in all US and WDW parks was closed for a family ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!