*New update post 70* Very high water bill but no leak??

After a week of thinking of what to write I finally wrote the letter this morning, and I cc'd our town manager. I am going to drop off a copy to the town today as well. Hopefully this gets it resolved. At this point, it's not just about the money. There are plenty of people who lack the wherewithall to fight city hall or who don't know how to prove that they are being billed unfairly...this issue needs to be brought to light and to be stopped. Enough is enough. I hope that my town insists that the water dept. come replace all the meters!
Good for you! Brava!

Hopefully you will get some help once you get the town involved. I live in a small town that is really just a suburb of a very large city. Out town contracts for the garbage pick up. Our curbside rolling bin broke and the garbage company kept giving me the run around about replacing it. We finally got City Hall involved and lo and behold we got a new can delivered immediately.

So going on a month now and no response from the letter I sent. I guess I'm calling again. I'll be informing them that my next call will be the newspaper, since they obviously seem to like to do articles about this.

And now to add to this issue, one of my friends just received a very high water bill and this month she is already double on her normal useage according to the meter. She has done the normal tests they insist on and there is, of course, no leak. It's the meter. When we were coming home, the city water dept. was digging up a meter in a parking lot in my neighborhood. These meters are failing everywhere, but of course the water dept. won't admit it because I guess then they'd have to replace them all. This is ridiculous. I'm glad I've told my story to anyone who will listen because my friend immediately suspected the meter when she received the first very high bill out of nowhere last month.

Well I finally heard back from the water department, and they said that they tested the old meter and it was fine so they won't refund me for the excessive water billing or for the $30 meter replacement fee. At this point, I feel like I've wasted a ton of time on this and I just want to give up, but I also feel like people are being taken advantage of due to these failing meters and that it's not right. My husband says to go to the paper. I have all the bills, I can prove that the excessive water billing suddenly stopped with the installation of the new meter. Not sure how much more time I want to spend on this, but at the same time I think people need to be aware of what is going on. UGH.

Well I finally heard back from the water department, and they said that they tested the old meter and it was fine so they won't refund me for the excessive water billing or for the $30 meter replacement fee. At this point, I feel like I've wasted a ton of time on this and I just want to give up, but I also feel like people are being taken advantage of due to these failing meters and that it's not right. My husband says to go to the paper. I have all the bills, I can prove that the excessive water billing suddenly stopped with the installation of the new meter. Not sure how much more time I want to spend on this, but at the same time I think people need to be aware of what is going on. UGH.

Did the water company include your town rep on it?

I would reach out to the reporter and see what they think and go from there. I understand being frustrated with the time spent but I think you should see if it's something the paper wants to pursue.

Did the water company include your town rep on it?

I would reach out to the reporter and see what they think and go from there. I understand being frustrated with the time spent but I think you should see if it's something the paper wants to pursue.

Nope, that letter didn't show a CC to the town rep, although I did cc the town rep on my original letter. I have a call into my town rep right now. I may never see a dime back, but at the very least I want the town to push to have all the meters replaced with digital meters asap. I live in Florida in a coastal town. There are plenty of elderly people here who would just pay the bill even if it was insane :( They may not have the ability or knowledge to push back and get the meter replaced, and they may believe the city if they call up and the city insists that they used the water even when they know they didn't. Also, people may be spending on unnecessary plumber visits to have nonexistent leaks found :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!