New Year, New Start - January WISH Challenge

https://www.webmd.com/diet/sleep-and-weight-loss
I’m sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but after a couple nights of poor sleep I looked for some articles and found I needed to make some changes. For example, watching tv in bed, caffeine in the late afternoon to name a couple. Being tired certainly contributes to poor decisions!

Do you feel like you get a good nights rest?

https://www.webmd.com/diet/sleep-and-weight-loss
I’m sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but after a couple nights of poor sleep I looked for some articles and found I needed to make some changes. For example, watching tv in bed, caffeine in the late afternoon to name a couple. Being tired certainly contributes to poor decisions!

I know a lot of times I don't get a good nights rest especially on nights that my special needs child is on a stay up really late no matter how early we get her up the next day to try and make sure she is tired and goes to bed earlier the next night or the experts say I need 7-9 hours of sleep a night forget that and let's go on 3.5 hours or less for the next 3-5 nights. If DH is on a heavy work hours schedule during that time I am soloing at night with my older one giving me a couple of hours in the middle of the day to catch a nap because as she says mom your crabby go take a nap and she takes my laptop and my phone so I can't use them and I am forced to sleep. Then there is the cats especially when they decide they need to go out in the middle of night when DH gets home and then 3-4 hours later one of them is loud, one of them them just meows one of them mews and one of them cries hence their original tiny kitten names of Loud, Meow, Mew, and Cry. They later became Batman Peter, Robin Susan, Harley Quinn Lucy, and Joker Edmond though he still cries all the time so he often gets called cry especially when we are tired of it. If they are not wanting in the house there are the times that they decide to hold either the cataplous 500 or the cattuckey derby or even better how about a couple of us have a lovely fight-though they have been good about not doing that lately. Not sure if it's that the weather is unseasonably warm here and they are able to go outside and wear off some energy during the day or that they know I (grandma-my oldest raised them from bottles and says they are her kids so that must make me grandma and let me tell you with her being barely 15 they better be my only grands for quite a while) has the squirt bottle that went missing for a while back and filled and I am not afraid to spray a mis behaving kitty or two.

One of my goals for the month was to get 8 hours of sleep each night. I have an app on my watch that tracks it for me. And according to that, I’ve gotten 8 hours or more 21/28 days so far this month. Of the 7 days I didn’t, only 2 were less than 7 hours. I think it helped that I also made the goal of reading 2 books this month. So I’ve been getting in bed and reading (which often makes my eyes tired). Since I said I’d read before turning on the tv, I often end up not turning the tv on because I’m tired after reading. Unfortunately the recommended amount of sleep and daily workouts have not been enough to counter my bad snacking this month. While my weight has fluctuated by a pound or two this month, as of today I am the same weight as the beginning of the month. So I’m giving it my all this week in hopes to lose a little before the end of the month. 🤞

Being tired certainly contributes to poor decisions!

Definitely.

Most of the time, but not lately - though last night was better.

child is on a stay up really late no matter how early we get her up the next day to try and make sure she is tired and goes to bed earlier the next night

Sometimes, they get overtired, and it backfires. My sympathies are with you!

there are the times that they decide to hold either the cataplous 500 or the cattuckey derby

I love the creative names for your cats hi-jinks!

I think it helped that I also made the goal of reading 2 books this month. So I’ve been getting in bed and reading

Me too. A good book waiting for me can definitely make all the difference between watching one too many TV shows and going to bed on time.

I am a pretty good sleeper. Always have been. I do have to sleep with the TV on though or I will never fall asleep. I have had a TV in my room since I was young. Maybe 10 years old. I do put the sleep timer on though. I usually get about 7 hours a night.

Both kids have a TV in there rooms since DD was 6. It was for my sanity. DD never slept after moving out of a crib. We would put her to bed at 7:30ish and I would still be fighting with her at 11 to go to sleep. On our second Disney trip we got each kids a portable DVD player for the car. We let them use them at night before we left so they knew how to use them. She didn't fight to go to sleep. We let them use them after we got back to see if it continued and it did. That Christmas they both got TV's. I hated that DS had one because he would stay awake when he used to go to sleep the minute his head hit the pillow. We had to give him restrictions at bed time. DD never fought again to go to bed. She still stayed awake until after we went to bed some nights. In 5th grade things got worse and she was not sleeping and her anxiety was way off the charts. Her doctor had us start using Melatonin at night. She now falls asleep shortly after bed time.

For the most part I'm a pretty good sleeper - and napper, I love to take midday naps on the weekends. I went thru a period of a couple years where my thoughts/dreams would loop at night and I wasn't getting restful sleep, so I used to take 5HTP which really helped. Mid-last year I decided to stop taking it and things have been pretty OK, in hindsight I think the mental looping might have been related to allergy responses to eating food with lectin.

My current challenge to sleeping really soundly is my cat Whitehall, who has food issues and wants to be fed several times a night... it is easiest to just get up and feed her, but I have been thinking of trying to retrain her by not getting up. It's been a bit of a struggle, but last night we may have turned the corner because she wasn't nearly the pest she usually is.

While I was in Maryland last week there was a mass shooting here in Seattle, nine people shot and one person killed because of a fight, right where I catch the bus in the afternoons. Had I been here and worked my normal schedule, I would have walked right thru where it happened about half an hour before it took place. Yesterday was my first day back and there was still a strange agitated vibe, like people were milling around looking for trouble. In particular there was a group of punk kids blowing up balloons and popping them, imitating the sound of gun shots to scare people... even though there was a heavy police presence. It's got me thinking more and more about how I don't enjoy being in the city at all, and about making concrete plans for the future. That and Kobe Bryant's death has re-triggered all the feelings from my brother's passing, and how a day starts out 'normal' and then the shock happens when the world changes in an instance. Lot's of heavy thoughts today, things to work on.

Last edited:
I am terrible sleeper and have tried so many things nothing works. PMS is really bad. I don't bring devices or have tv upstairs, my room is cooler etc. I wake up every morning in the middle of the night at about 3, some i manage to sleep for few more hours some - not so much

I still feel unwell today but I decided I can do few things. One of them was to get my recipe folder organise and bin all recipes I am not likely to cook - leaving me with easier job when trying to select what to do next. I also sorted them out to chicken, veg, beef, fish. I like buying magazines but usually cut few recipes in "to cook part of my folder" after I cook them they either get tossed on kept on favorites part of the folder! It keeps me entertain. I get the likes of weight watchers magazine that are calorie count friendly. I also did 10 minutes body scan mediation - I am taking it easy with movement but this felt very relaxing. i usually find my walks give me some calm

Last edited:

For the most part I'm a pretty good sleeper - and napper, I love to take midday naps on the weekends. I went thru a period of a couple years where my thoughts/dreams would loop at night and I wasn't getting restful sleep, so I used to take 5HTP which really helped. Mid-last year I decided to stop taking it and things have been pretty OK, in hindsight I think the mental looping might have been related to allergy responses to eating food with lectin.

My current challenge to sleeping really soundly is my cat Whitehall, who has food issues and wants to be fed several times a night... it is easiest to just get up and feed her, but I have been thinking of trying to retrain her by not getting up. It's been a bit of a struggle, but last night we may have turned the corner because she wasn't nearly the pest she usually is.

While I was in Maryland last week there was a mass shooting here in Seattle, nine people shot and one person killed because of a fight, right where I catch the bus in the afternoons. Had I been here and worked my normal schedule, I would have walked right thru where it happened about half an hour before it took place. Yesterday was my first day back and there was still a strange agitated vibe, like people were milling around looking for trouble. In particular there was a group of punk kids blowing up balloons and popping them, imitating the sound of gun shots to scare people... even though there was a heavy police presence. It's got me thinking more and more about how I don't enjoy being in the city at all, and about making concrete plans for the future. That and Kobe Bryant's death has re-trigger all the feelings from my brother's passing, and how a day starts out 'normal' and then the shock that happens when the world changes in an instance. Lot's of heavy thoughts today, things to work on.
How frightening and stressful for you! I remember reading about the shooting last week-I hate that it’s the new normal to have these terrible events as almost a weekly occurrence.

I also read at night-on my Kindle, although I know experts don’t recommend electronic devices before bed. I like that I can read in the dark and just set it aside when I feel sleepy.

While I was in Maryland last week there was a mass shooting here in Seattle, nine people shot and one person killed because of a fight, right where I catch the bus in the afternoons. Had I been here and worked my normal schedule, I would have walked right thru where it happened about half an hour before it took place. Yesterday was my first day back and there was still a strange agitated vibe, like people were milling around looking for trouble. In particular there was a group of punk kids blowing up balloons and popping them, imitating the sound of gun shots to scare people... even though there was a heavy police presence. It's got me thinking more and more about how I don't enjoy being in the city at all, and about making concrete plans for the future. That and Kobe Bryant's death has re-trigger all the feelings from my brother's passing, and how a day starts out 'normal' and then the shock that happens when the world changes in an instance. Lot's of heavy thoughts today, things to work on.

OMG! How scary. I am glad you weren't there.

While I was in Maryland last week there was a mass shooting here in Seattle, nine people shot and one person killed because of a fight, right where I catch the bus in the afternoons. Had I been here and worked my normal schedule, I would have walked right thru where it happened about half an hour before it took place. Yesterday was my first day back and there was still a strange agitated vibe, like people were milling around looking for trouble. In particular there was a group of punk kids blowing up balloons and popping them, imitating the sound of gun shots to scare people... even though there was a heavy police presence. It's got me thinking more and more about how I don't enjoy being in the city at all, and about making concrete plans for the future. That and Kobe Bryant's death has re-triggered all the feelings from my brother's passing, and how a day starts out 'normal' and then the shock happens when the world changes in an instance. Lot's of heavy thoughts today, things to work on.

That's tough. I never understood why is it so easy to buy guns in US. I am sorry for feeling low but it's good to let your feelings be instead of bottling them up. Hope you feel better soon

Kids can be so silly

When I was in TJ Maxx yesterday looking through the jewelry on clearance, I found the cutest set of Mickey and Minnie watches! I will give them to my daughter and son in law for Valentines Day-(we’re traveling together to Disney this August) even though they were on clearance they can return them if they’re not to their taste. But I love them!

AC39C006-4F43-466D-8392-A809C6F042B1.jpeg

I also feel like I am mostly back in my routine-healthier meals, mindful of snacks and getting out for a walk every day. It really took a couple weeks once the holidays were over.
I will plan for some snacks on Sunday when we watch the game, but right now I’m thinking popcorn and a vegetable tray.

Last edited:

:hug:

It’s Woohoo Wednesday! Let’s share some positive vibes today!
Woohoo - I fre back on track with eating. I’m really focused on NOT making poor snack choices. I made some protein balls using honey, peanut butter, chocolate chips, flax seed and oats. They are fulfilling a little sugar need during the day at school. Last night after dinner, I started to crave a salty snack. I had some pistachios. (Better than chips!). The scale is slowly dropping. I’m hopeful that by the end of the week, I’ll be down to a better starting point for February. Because in about 2 weeks, I’ll be on vacation with my hubby in Vero Beach (another big woohoo!). And I’m not going to relax and enjoy what I want (not going overboard on purpose, but will most likely go over). But I’ll definitely enjoy it more if I get rid of my holiday weight ;)
And a side note woohoo - my son’s basketball had a win last night! Of course I missed it because I was still working. But it was a real nail-biter according to my husband. Usually we lose by like 20-30 points. So close games aren’t something we’re used to. And then to actually win by 3 was amazing! So happy for them! They actually enjoyed the game :)

WhooHoo Wednesday

I am glad I get to be sick on my own home instead of being on my in laws as we were end of last year, or in my old home but dealing with open viewings. Good to be home

Still feel pretty miserable temperature up and down all day. It is very hard to make myself rest, I am so used to being on the go all the time but I am glad I am chilling out today

WhooHoo Wednesday

I am glad I get to be sick on my own home instead of being on my in laws as we were end of last year, or in my old home but dealing with open viewings. Good to be home

Still feel pretty miserable temperature up and down all day. It is very hard to make myself rest, I am so used to being on the go all the time but I am glad I am chilling out today
So happy for you to finally be in your home! Hope you feel better soon! :hug:

Woohoo... I have a 90 minute appointment for a massage after work today. After the hard physical labor last week I really, really, really need it. And tomorrow night is yoga again, really missed going last week.

I'm also going to woohoo that I followed up and made the EFT therapy appointment for Friday, because I also really, really, really need to get going on mental health as well.

And woohoo, my WDW vacation is now just 56 days away! I get excited about it in spurts, mostly when I get a text or email from one of the gals putting the ADRs and FP+ together. I am starting to think about clothing though, somehow it seems like I should have a floral dress or two to wear while staying at The Poly.

I am not so woohoo today. DD and I got in an argument over her sweatshirt this morning. This would be her 3rd day in a row wearing it and I told to change it. it didn't go over very well an I left the house with her pissed at me. Then she decided to take the bus. She hates the bus so not sure why she wanted to. I got a notification that she was absent from her first class. So then everything runs through your head. I called the school and she was just late to class because it was in a different room but the teacher did not update her being absent until about an hour later. Really scared us. Then in this process DH went in her room to get her phone and go through it and found that her hamster has died. We don't think she knows this yet. I am leaving work early to be home when she gets off the bus so we can tell her together. She is going to be so upset. It is going to be a really rough night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!