New Year, New Start - January WISH Challenge

I've been thinking on this quite a bit since she posted it a couple weeks ago. As mentioned multiple times, I'm not a pre-planner and frequently beat myself up for falling short on this and frequently end up consuming whatever I can get my hands on when I'm hungry. Pre-determining when I'm going to eat might work for me... I'm fairly close to keeping a set schedule now: during the work week I have breakfast when I get to work, but on the weekends I rarely eat breakfast: all days I prefer to have lunch earlier, around 11am: but dinner is all over the place and so has the most room for improvement.

@sjrec I like your approach, to have healthy food in the fridge/pantry and make the choice at mealtime, I just need to focus on a set time. The new kitchen island actually arrived yesterday but isn't out of the box yet, I'll work on setting it up tonight. Its kind of big and got me even more excited about having more usable space in the kitchen. So having space to cook and this new approach to "planning" might be a winning combination.

I like having a plan for everything. And it doesn’t bother me to plan out what I’m eating in advance. But as I’ve experienced many times...plans for change. Some days I’m good because I generally have healthy options. But some days I completely fall apart. The thing that helps us that I can usually get right back on track the next day. I don’t think I’d do well though by choosing my foods during meal time...unless like @sjrec I had 4-5 options to pick from. Plus I can be a bit indecisive, so making a plan for the week saves me time.

As Dr Yoni said organisation is more improtant than perfection when it comes to weight management, and I agree. I plan ahead and when I do I do better. If I don't feel like something at times is better to take this into account and change your plan to be honest but still try to find something that is also healthy (ish). this way you won't feel deprived and will feel happy to continue with the plans

yes, it can be wastful but forcing you to stick to the plan if you really fancy salad for example isn't good as you end up feeling unsatisfied with your food and crave other food

I commute to work 3 days. I live the house at 6:20 and I come back at 5. It's a long day, and when I come home I need to spend time with my son. There is no way I want to spend long time in the kitchen - spending few hours on Sunday makes my Monday to Wednesday way less hectic

BONUS QUESTION:

With so many of us having upcoming WDW trips, what is the thing you have planned for your trip that you are most woohoo-y about?

Last edited:

Woohoo!

After the Winter Solstice, we start to gain back about 2 minutes of sunlight per day. It's gotten to the point where the sun hasn't set yet by the time I get home, and it feels so darn good to still have some sunlight... provided a heavy cloud cover hasn't blocked it all out.

Yesterday my SAD lights came! I swapped the bulb in the living room light right away and last evening managed to stay up until 10pm (I have been crawling in to bed around 8:30pm). I've got the other one set up here at my desk, so it'll be interesting to see how that helps during the day.

Bonus Question: For my trip, I think the thing I'm most woohoo-y about is staying at The Poly, there's something just so extra special about it. I'm taking the daytime non-stop, so I'll arrive at the resort around 5pm-ish and was thinking I'd just stick around and enjoy it, maybe watching the MK fireworks from there, but EPCOT is open late that day, so I'll probably head over there. Our ADR at O'Hana is the last evening we're staying there, and I'm also really looking forward to that. The other thing I'm super excited about is that even though I haven't lost as much weight as I had hoped at this point, just getting my thyroid squared away has increased my stamina so much, so I know I'll be much better at doing all the things.

Had a wonderful evening last night with my friends-after book club a group of us stayed and just sat around talking and laughing. This time of year we try to organize a get together at least once a month to keep away the winter blahs. Good for all of us.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Star Wars Land and the Toy Story Land next August. My grandson has assured me all the new rides are not too scary! I am hoping the new attraction that took the place of the Great Movie Ride will be open.

I am woohoo that I have been on track this week and have been down about .1-.2 pounds a day. Small but yet still going down.

For Disney I am excited that my mom is coming with us. Also, that we will most likely be able to go to the Halloween Party. I have been wanting to do this party for year. Previous trips it would start the week we left and the opposite years (we went every other year) it started the week that we would have been there. Now with them starting earlier we should be good. Just waiting to hear for sure. DH was not happy when he heard it was a separate ticket though.

Woohoo - I am enjoying my workout program, but it is definitely pushing me! I’m often slowing down or using the modifier. But I’m still doing them and enjoying doing nog something different than I’ve done in the past.

Bonus - I feel like I have many woohoos with the trip. Probably the biggest will be surprising my son, since it’s just the two of us going (although we will be meeting up with my sisters family when we get down there). I’m also excited to see the new Star Wars Land. And that I was able to get an earlier ADR at Ohana for the two of us (I got it moved up to 3:40pm from 9:15). :woohoo:

Would this approach work for you? If you are a pre-planner, how do you feel when you have to eat a meal that was planned days ago, but doesn't appeal to you when you actually get to it?

That strategy (planning meal times, but deciding what to have at the last minute) doesn't really fit me well. When I need a snack, I need it now (so I keep a variety of healthy options on hand.) And even though I don't always plan ahead, I do best with dinners when I do, because my energy and creativity flag in the afternoon. I agree that a little wiggle room is sometimes important, though.

After the Winter Solstice, we start to gain back about 2 minutes of sunlight per day.

That is definitely a WooHoo!!!

I am grateful for the resources I have for DD. This week has been a rough week. Her teachers, though very frustrated with them, have DD's best interest and generally try to help her. The info just has not getting to me. I find out when things get bad. She has a great therapist that gets us in when ever we need to to get her in. Here is to having a better week next week.

This week part of what I've been working on is turn over for a new application I'm taking on management for. I feel like that PM does a very good job, but I'm finding a few things that weren't quite "up to snuff", which has helped me to re-frame my appraisal of my own job performance... like maybe I'm doing better than I usually think I am. So I'm thankful for that. I've also worked on things this week that play to my strengths, and I'm thankful for that as well.

I'm also very thankful that there is no snow in the weather forecast for the Annapolis MD area next week. The back roads drive from the hotel to the facility is one of my all time favorite drives, and if the forecast was yucky we would have been taking the freeway instead.

Last edited:
I am thankful tomorrow is Friday! The energy level has been high in my classroom this week!

I am also thankful for my health. There are so many illnesses going around. Our poor school nurse was swamped today. She constantly has kids in there waiting to be picked up because they were so sick. Flu, norovirus, step throat, & pink eye are all going around.

Finally, I am thankful for hard working coworkers! We had data meetings today, which I often dread. But today’s meetings were filled with celebrations. We are trying some new teaching methods that are really helping! And there is a big focus on phonemic awareness and phonics in the younger grades! They needed that so badly and now we have resource and our own data to prove it!

Last night in yoga the teacher said we should celebrate showing up, because we were doing hard work. And then @MickeyMom76 mentioned in her post that their team meeting was full of celebrations, so let's make this a Friday Free-for-all celebration! What are some things you did/accomplished this week that deserve a high-five? Nothing is too small, as mentioned, sometimes just showing up is a victory worth celebrating!

I am going to celebrate showing up for yoga class... not just showing up, but this time around I allowed myself to say I'd like to do chair yoga, instead of stressing out trying to do the ups-and-downs of working on the mat. Asking for what I need instead of suffering just trying to fit in is a really big deal. And the teacher's comment about the hard work we were doing really hit home because the movements are so simple and basic it would be easy to discount them.

It got me to thinking about what other things I do but down play because they are so basic/simple/everyday... and there are a lot of them. Let's face it, some times just being human is hard work!

No big plans this weekend, just getting ready to be gone next week. The super cold weather has passed and there's rain in the forecast, so that will lend itself to doing indoors stuff... I'd love to get a couple bags of stuff together to drop off at Goodwill.

Hope all have a happy and healthy weekend!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!