Newbie has tipping questions

nzdisneymom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I started reading this board this week after my DH said YES to planning a DCL cruise. I'm beginning to work on the budget part to help us determine when we can afford to go (2004 or 2005), so I've been reading the board to find out the *extra* costs beyond the fare.

I know we will tip our steward and also the folks in the dining rooms. And if our children use the kids' clubs...

How does tipping work? I read some folks tip early, and then I read about a tip sheet that you fill out and charge to your ship account. How much do you tip? If your meals are included in the cost of your cruise, how do you determine what amount to tip?

And while I'm asking, what does KTTW stand for?

Thanks in advance from a newbie........

Cindy D.

KttW- Key TO The World card...your room key and card you use for all your purchases....

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server 11.00 14.75 25.75
Dining Room Asst. Server 8.00 10.75 18.75
Dining Room Head Server 2.75 3.75 6.50
Stateroom Host/Hostess 10.75 14.50 25.25
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion

KTTW = Key to the World and everything you purchase on the ship will be done with this card, including tipping which is normally done on the last night of the cruise or you can tip with cash if you like....the day before the end you can go to Guest Services and they will print tickets for whomever you want to tip and you'll have 4 envelopes to put them in.....once you get your docs, there will be a page in it with the recommended tip for each of the 4 people that will be taking care of you......hope this helps, Andy

Thank you for your response - this is exactly what I was looking for and is helpful! My head is already spinning and I know I'm going to spend a lot of time reading here!

Thanks again!

Cindy D.

Everyone is correct by saying that your KTTW card is the only way you can purchase items once aboard the ship, also on Castaway Cay.

The last time I was aboard the people in the kids clubs weren't allowed to except tips. Of course you could give them a gift of something but it is not necessary.

There are charges for soda, cocktails, special coffees, Bingo, Spa treatments, adult dining at Palo, aracade, excursions, bikes, floats, and paddleboats on Castaway Cay.

There is a way you can pre-pay your onboard credits and take the pain out of that last statement. You can apply funds to your onboard account in amounts of $25 or more.
When you get your Docs you will get a booklet showing you things you can purchase ahead of time. Your items will be waiting for you in your stateroom. Things like flowers, wine, gifts, etc. Here is the number to call so you can get a jump on things. Disney Cruise Line Gifts 1-800-601-8455

Your KTTW card also operates your in room safe located in the closet.

VM: actually any card with a magnetic strip on it can operate the safe. The card used to lock the safe has to be the one to open it. If DW locks the safe with her KTTW card, DH cant open it with his.

Other people have suggested using a debit card to open / close the safe, and "hiding" the debit card in the room so you don't need the person around who locked it.

Originally posted by jrabbit
VM: actually any card with a magnetic strip on it can operate the safe. The card used to lock the safe has to be the one to open it. If DW locks the safe with her KTTW card, DH cant open it with his.

Other people have suggested using a debit card to open / close the safe, and "hiding" the debit card in the room so you don't need the person around who locked it.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. Will have to give that a try on our next cruise.

Originally posted by aprilgail2
KttW- Key TO The World card...your room key and card you use for all your purchases....

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server 11.00 14.75 25.75
Dining Room Asst. Server 8.00 10.75 18.75
Dining Room Head Server 2.75 3.75 6.50
Stateroom Host/Hostess 10.75 14.50 25.25
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion

Does this include children? If there are 2A & 2C in my party I will tip the Dining Room Server $103.00???????

Just curious? Is this the norm for all cruises? It's been a while and I don't remember what I tipped our servers.

yes....the recommended tip amounts are for all members of your party, including children...this is the norm...

This is correct....the tip amount is per person and is just a recommended amount, you may give more or less depending on the overall service if you like.....Andy

Thanks I just wanted to make sure I am giving everyone their just rewards. Nice to know before hand!

We don't have any children, but we are usually seated with families who have children and I've seen how hard the servers work to entertain the children. Picky eaters...no problem. Fussy children...no problem. Don't want nuggets...want mac and cheese...no problem. Need a magic trick or a shirley temple...it's still no problem. I hope this gives you an idea of just some of the things that the servers do.

Ginny
:D

we went on a dcl cruise nov 2001. we had a 10 month old at the time and traveled with family that also had an infant and 2 dd's about 7 & 9. did not notice the wait staff do anything special or out of the ordinary for any of us.
its good to know since on oct 11 we will be traveling with a 1 1/2, 2 1/2, and 2 3/4 yo and also a 9 and 11 y/o. i am looking for some help with our dinner to keep all the kids entertained. we could put them in the nursery for dinner but this would be expensive.
Does anyone know if they have crayons and color books at the dinners to help with anxious toddlers?

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I believe that the childrens menu is an activity page, so they should provide crayons etc.

Yes tipping for each member of your party can really add up. But these people work for tips. DCL (and most other cruise lines) do not pay your waitstaff and room stewards well ($50/month). They work for tips. They work all stinking day for tips. The waitstaff is there in the morning in all of the restaurants, they are there at lunchtime in all of the restaurants (including topsiders for breakfast and lunch). Heck you may find them working at scoops, plutos, pinocchios or in the other bars. Not just dinner. So when you take the suggested total tip for a person and and spread it out over three+ meals per day, it's really not as much as it seems to be (when you first do the math:eek: ). Your room steward will keep your room very clean and livable (remember its a small space) and they will pick up after you when you leave. They will bring you fresh towels whenever you use the ones provided (4 or 5 times per day if needed).

Tip them well, they are working hard for you.

Our servers were great with our kids.. ds 4 and dd 6. Before our seating when we arrived there was apple juice waiting for them and also crayons on the table, they used their menu to color on.
young children can become anxious at dinner time. We had a the late seating, so we made sure the kids had something to eat earlier and sometimes a nap. it all worked out.

I think our server taught us (the adults and kids) a new magic trick almost every night. Don't forget to ask your server if they know any magic tricks...we've learned that most servers learn at least one or two...just in case of fussy tots.

Ginny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter