Newbie scrap question re:paper and cardstock

**pixiedust**

Mouseketeer
I am a new scrapper and have an embarrassing question.

What is the difference between paper and cardstock? I guess I don't understand why you need both. Maybe I am not using them correctly. :confused3 How do you experienced scrappers lay your pages out? Do you mount your pictures on the paper or the cardstock? :rolleyes1

I hope I haven't banned myself from the scrapbook world with this. I just need some help and advice. TIA!

PixieDust,
Don't feel bad for asking questions. At one point in time all of us asked these very same questions and only by asking can you learn! I might be wrong in what I'm going to tell you but my understanding is Cardstock is the heavier paper used as the base of your page or L/O--usually a solid color, white or black. Then you add the lighter weight, usually printed paper, to accent. As I said, I might be wrong on this but that is my understanding.

Some of my friends that are die hard Creative Memories people use the basic white page and then lay the colored or accent paper on top. I think this is called wallpapering. I seldom use plain white paper as my basic sheet. Almost always use a solid color then add stripes, polka dots or floral prints in a complimentary color and then "frame" my pictures in another complimentary color.

Truthfully, there is no "right way" or "wrong way" in scrapbooking. As long as YOU are happy w/your layout, that's really all that matters.

Have a wonderful time in "Scrapbook World"!!! :banana:

Karen

There is no embarrassing question, and there is no one way to scrapbook -- you do whatever feels most "right" to you! :thumbsup2

Cardstock is "heavier" and "stiffer" than regular paper. Usually it comes in a solid color, but some manufacturers make patterned cardstock as well. You don't need both, but you can one or the other or both. Your choice. :goodvibes

I use either. And both. Whatever I feel like. ::yes::

Hope this helps!

--Katie

Typically but not always paper is one sided and lighter weight than cardstock. Cardstock is heavier and usually colored on both sides.
I use both depending on what I'm doing. I do use cardstock as my base a lot just because it is stronger than paper. (I work in 12x12 top loading books) I'll use paper as my 2nd and sometimes 3rd layer just to keep the pages from being to heavy and to give it other color. There really isn't any wrong way to do it, just personal preference.

Also when doing pages I do not put pictures on both sides, even if it is on cardstock. That way you can move pages around.

Check out www.twopeasinabucket.com to get some ideas on uses for paper and cardstock. Most people have a supply list of what they use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter