Newly divorced-solo trip

Disneyfan1977

DIS Veteran
I never imagined I'd ever be posting this. After a rocky 21 year marriage i am a free woman. I want to go away. I am out of work due to breast reconstruction (TMI, I KNOW) but for the first time in my life, I'm able to take a small trip to wdw.

I'm anxious to do this to go to my happy place to hopefully kick start my 2020 happy and to prove to myself all that's been taken from me, mentally physically and emotionally I can start to regain my happiness in my favorite place.

So my question is for those who've done this, any advice is appreciated. I know I want to stay on property as cheaply as possible. Probably 3 nights and 2 or 3 day park ticket. I don't eat that much as my appetite has been kind of squashed so I'm not buying a dining plan.

Any advice is appreciated. I'd like to go this as cheaply as possible.

You've got this and there isn't a better place to heal the soul and body than WDW. I've made a number of solo trips and my favorite part is that you can just do what you want to do. Take the time to just sit in the parks and take in the details. I tend to stay at Swan/Dolphin which is about the cost of a Disney moderate but still smack dab in the middle of HS and Epcot. But, you can certainly save some money and go Value, they have been renovating them so look into staying at one that is finished. I don't eat large meals so I tend to eat Kid's meals if I eat at QS and eat appetizers at TS. A lot of the TS restaurants have bars or lounges so you can eat there and get appys for less than a full meal. Sometimes, I just snack all day, if I'm there during a festival almost all of my meals are at the booths for lunch and supper. I do love to eat at HBD lounge at HS. A cobb salad and glass of wine, nothing is better for me. A bigger breakfast then a latter larger lupper will do me some days.

I never imagined I'd ever be posting this. After a rocky 21 year marriage i am a free woman. I want to go away. I am out of work due to breast reconstruction (TMI, I KNOW) but for the first time in my life, I'm able to take a small trip to wdw.

I'm anxious to do this to go to my happy place to hopefully kick start my 2020 happy and to prove to myself all that's been taken from me, mentally physically and emotionally I can start to regain my happiness in my favorite place.

So my question is for those who've done this, any advice is appreciated. I know I want to stay on property as cheaply as possible. Probably 3 nights and 2 or 3 day park ticket. I don't eat that much as my appetite has been kind of squashed so I'm not buying a dining plan.

Any advice is appreciated. I'd like to go this as cheaply as possible.
I hope that you have a fabulous time.

I know you are looking at keeping the budget low but maybe you can find resort prices low enough to make it at least a 4 night stay. A little pool time might be nice but could be difficult to fit in during a very short stay.

Good luck. Your plan for kick starting 2020 by visiting Walt Disney World sounds like a good one to me.

Disney saved me. I know that sounds silly, but it truly did. I had no idea that it would become my happy place, but it did. Ringing in your new decade and fresh start at WDW will be a wonderful thing.

Stay in a value resort, but stay on property. Buy smaller meals- kids meals, big snacks, etc. I like to eat protein bars or instant oatmeal for breakfast in my room in the morning. Take tons of photos. No spendy souvenirs are needed- just snapshots of your favorite moments.

Enjoy every single second. There is nothing like creating a new and special tradition for yourself.

I'm so sorry for the difficulties you have been experiencing. But excited about your upcoming trip! I've not been to WDW (only Disneyland) but MouseMama's advice sounds great and I agree--stay on property at value resort, don't bother with spending money on souvenirs, and bring some snacks that you truly enjoy to keep costs down. When is your trip going to happen?

Oh, a first timer? You should definitely ask at the Disney resort front desk for a "First Visit" button. :teeth:

Since the All-Star resorts are value, pick one that appeals to you and check the rates. Definitely look for discounts through Disney involving either just the room or room and tickets.

Finally, spend some quality time reading menus of the quick service restaurants and jot down which ones appeal to you.

Also, congrats on your surgery. :goodvibes

Definitely get a first visit badge!
Think about all the things you have missed out on doing or not been allowed to do, and take this time to be you, with no one else to defer to. Enjoy the lounges, browse the shops, ride your favourite ride over and over - no one else to please, so, take the time to actually think about what you love to do (I know it can sometimes be a really hard thing to know what YOU want or like, if you have spent a long time not having a voice, even to yourself) and do things that jus make you happy.
Have a wonderful trip. x

Pop Century's one of the affordable value resorts now with the Skyliner to the parks.

Congratulations on your upcoming trip! Pop is our favorite value, and now has the skyliner. We always take breakfast bars to eat in the room before we go to the parks. Sure helps with costs. Granola would be a good snack to carry with you in the parks. great ideas above to order kids meals. Always plenty of food. Enjoy your trip, and best wishes to you for a happy 2020!

I've taken my own lunch into the park before. I was staying offsite in a timeshare during that trip. Packed a small lunch box with PB&J sandwich and chips. Had a picnic at EPCOT in the back of the rose garden in Britain. Another way to save is to go to the Character Warehouse at the Prime Outlets to get souvenirs instead of the park. I bought my niece a large stuffed Stitch there for $35. They had the same one at the parks for twice that!

I would definitely say find a way to stay for as many days as you possibly can within your given budget, because once you start having fun the feeling of it coming to an end will arrive sooner than you think. 4 day/5 day trips are now my default.

I don't see this recommended enough, but I would also take a look at the Disney Springs hotels like the Lake Buena Vista Hilton or the Buena Vista Palace as those actually have the Disney Resort benefits (shuttles, 60 day FastPass window) but typically run much cheaper than the signature Disney Resorts.

The parks are awesome solo because you just have so much more freedom and flexibility to do whatever you want, get FastPasses, get food, etc. As much people believe Disney is designed for families, it is REALLY an awesome experience solo or in a small party.

I would also encourage you to interact with as many cast members and characters as you can, as it'll make you feel more at home.

I am doing this soon ! I guess I am not technically alone, I am going with my 2 year old daughter and I found amazing pricing ! going without another adult, so its kinda like going alone but with lots of extra work lol and having to consider another persons schedule !

heres what I did :

1- i Looked at a price calendar for the lowest pricing on an all star resort
there is availability for 3 nights coming out to 248 with 10% off when booking at Travelocity.

2- bought the special ”4 day magic ticket “ instead of a regular 4 day ticket and it’s about 80 bucks cheaper than regular 4 day ticket
it is also cheaper to buy the ticket from under cover tourist instead of directly from Disney.
since it is date based- as long as the days you want to go are covered you can buy a ticket that starts a day sooner if it saves money. The ticket is good for 7 days (right ?)
i bought a ticket that starts 2 days before my arrival date to save $16

3- I made my flights work for those days due to the great hotel pricing / google flights to find cheap flights

4- I choose to participate in the program that allows me to turn down housekeeping and I will get a disney gift card valued at $10 per night not including check out

5- travel Friendly breakfast for each morning and snacks . Allow myself freedom to enjoy quick service park lunch/ dinners

6- if you have a credit card = use it and earn rewards / cash back / whatever you get

i am excited for you and I really hope this helps ! :)

When I had been solo, I liked to take it slow. I would stroll, not fast walk like I do today with family. I'd sit in the warm sun and people watch. When at the resort it is amazing how you can tell just by faces, who are just arriving and who are on the verge of leaving. The parks are similar. You can see who is ready for their adventure and who is ready to go home. Talking to CMs is great. You can tell they get their fill of angry faces, so being friendly and inquisitive about what they do is a fun distraction.... at least I thought so!

It truly is a World and a community of many, many people. There is much to see and take it. I find today with family, it has become much more about A to B and passing everything in between. There is no more exploration. My children will get very angry about something out of their control and I'm trying to pass along that, hey, we're here at Walt Disney World! Look around you! They get so locked on the tree in front of them and miss everything around them.

Have fun!

If you don't eat big meals and are going during one of the Epcot festivals, the food kiosks are a great alternative to a regular meal. You can have 2-3 little plates while wandering around. I also second the lounge idea - some of them have little plates or appetizer-sized options. If the room you're in has a fridge, also look into stopping by the resort store and pick up yoghurt, fruit, cheese, etc. for snacks if you don't want a full meal in the evening. Last trip DH and I did cheese, deli meats and crackers for "dinner" a couple of nights because we were too tired to go out even to go for dinner. It was nice - we just watched some TV (some Disney movies and shows), looked through that day's photos, read some news. So relaxing after a full day. Nice to sleep in and just grab that yoghurt and berries bought the previous day with a cup of coffee made in the room and watch the news while planning the day.

Congratulations! I was actually at WDW when I realized I was in a marriage going nowhere. I took a break for a few years, and then went back and was so refreshed! I'm now able to go and enjoy WDW with my new (wonderful) DH. :)

My best advice is to prioritize what is important to you in a trip and budget accordingly, saving in the other areas. It sounds like being on property is a priority, so do that and then maybe go easier on the food. But if there's a certain restaurant you know you want to eat at, make sure to check out the prices in advance and then plan for it.

Good luck!

I would definitely say find a way to stay for as many days as you possibly can within your given budget, because once you start having fun the feeling of it coming to an end will arrive sooner than you think. 4 day/5 day trips are now my default.

I don't see this recommended enough, but I would also take a look at the Disney Springs hotels like the Lake Buena Vista Hilton or the Buena Vista Palace as those actually have the Disney Resort benefits (shuttles, 60 day FastPass window) but typically run much cheaper than the signature Disney Resorts.

The parks are awesome solo because you just have so much more freedom and flexibility to do whatever you want, get FastPasses, get food, etc. As much people believe Disney is designed for families, it is REALLY an awesome experience solo or in a small party.

I would also encourage you to interact with as many cast members and characters as you can, as it'll make you feel more at home.
I really like these resorts, too, but with the $35 daily resort fee, it can bring them up to the cost of Pop Century or more at times. Plus you don't get the Magical Express each way which adds on a bit more. Definitely worth looking into to see if there are good discount rates during your travel though. They are really nice resorts which easy access to Disney Springs and shuttles to the parks.

I am a solo Disney traveler often especially now that my kids are grown. Although I did several solo trips when they were kids. I served in the Navy for 20 years and Disney is a huge part of our family memories. It really is our Happy Place like many others have stated. My mom and sister both passed away and going to WDW or DL or on Disney cruises solo is so peaceful and joyful! I have so many memories of my mom and sister and of our trips before and after my military deployments. I also was a single mom for most of my career after getting divorce when the kids were very young. There was a lot of stress! It is difficult to explain to people who do not like Disney. Anyway, TMI....but seriously, please go. Staying at the value resorts does not bother me since I don't spend a lot of time in my room and the theming is really cute. I recommend Pop but All-Star Sports and All-Star Music will probably be the cheapest options. Pop shouldn't be much more though. There are often discounts throughout the year so if you have some flexibility and can travel and stay Sunday-Thursday, rates are cheaper, too. Plus you get free Magical Express to and from the airport (if you are flying).
I like to carry a water bottle and refill it throughout the day and sometimes bring packets of Crystal Light if I get tired fo water. This saves a lot of money. Drinks are pricey! I also like to get kid's meals at times because I don't like big meals and prefer to snack more. These include a small drink and also offers some healthier options. I tend to crave those apple slices and carrots after eating some yummy junk food and all of that walking. I also loved to resort hop using Disney transportation and checking out all of the cool places and options. That costs nothing and you can enjoy some of the fireworks without even going in the parks. If you have any more questions, would be happy to share.

I am doing another solo trip in a few months and looking very forward to it. I am doing it on a budget as well!

Any Disney Resort is a good choice to stay at. First you get transportation to and from the airport Saves $, Disney transportation, bus, skyliner,
Different food options. if you do some pre planning you can eat at a descent price Hold pizza for $13 or $15. Some meals are better then others in amounts of food.

I adored my solo trip.

I stay at POP. It's more than adequate in my opinion. I love the refurbished rooms. I did other splurges on my trip (dessert party, tour, EMM, FOTLK package) but they aren't necessary to have an amazing time.

I bring a box of Luna bars and eat one at the bus stop on my way to the park. Then typically a snack mid-morning, a late lunch, an early evening nap, then back out late closing out the park.

I did 7 nights (8 full days of parks with an early flight in the first morning and a very late flight out the last day) and it was perfect for me. If you can stretch your trip to 4 or 5 days I think you'd be able to do a lot more. However I think you'll find satisfaction and happiness in accomplishing a 3-day trip.

I always feel so free and comfortable at WDW. I think it's an ideal place for a solo trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter