Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

I'm curious about this also. I did not realize that when you purchase online, it automatically uses the Purchase Date, but then it updates to the actual 1st day of use. That is why I am holding off on purchasing one ahead of time, and had planned on just upgrading from a $150 day ticket.

In the past, purchasing a AP online was like purchasing a voucher for later use, just like purchasing a 3-day park hopper or other ticket package. I believe if you opted for a payment plan, the payments started right away, but the year of use didn’t start until your first day of use. We let our passes expire last August and so it has been a year and a half since I have purchased a pass, so that could have changed since our last purchase.

My pass says it’s good to May 18th 2020. I went into the park using the discount ticket on May 19th for my first day.

That’s different than purchasing an AP outright online. It’s standard for AP’s to be backdated to the first day of use when upgraded from a multi-day ticket. I am wondering if Flex APs purchased online start to run the first day it is purchased or the first day it is used. A PP stated their one year began the day they purchased the Flex pass, even though they didn’t enter the park on that day. But I believe they did make a reservation to enter on a future date, so I wonder if the year began on their date of purchase because they made the reservation.

Actually I believe it would go through March 2, 2021. Although keep in mind the price may go up on the Flex Pass between now and then, but you definitely would not want to upgrade now, since people have said that the Flex Passport starts to run the Day You Purchase, rather than 1st Day Of Visit.

My pass says it’s good to May 18th 2020. I went into the park using the discount ticket on May 19th for my first day.
For the day its good until, it may be a bit weird for this year because 2020 is a leap year. I know from experience it messes with their systems a bit!

That’s different than purchasing an AP outright online. It’s standard for AP’s to be backdated to the first day of use when upgraded from a multi-day ticket. I am wondering if Flex APs purchased online start to run the first day it is purchased or the first day it is used. A PP stated their one year began the day they purchased the Flex pass, even though they didn’t enter the park on that day. But I believe they did make a reservation to enter on a future date, so I wonder if the year began on their date of purchase because they made the reservation.

I believe this to be the case, yes. I will verify with a CM at the main gate when we pick up our e-tickets on Tuesday, but my renewal date is 5/20/20--one year from the date of my original Flex Passport purchase. NOT the first day I use it.

So I just got to the airport and checked and my passes all did go back to April 22, 2020. I talked to my sister who bought at a different time and she said that a CM had to manually change her date and it show 5/18 on hers. I guess I will have to call or wait til my next trip

For the day its good until, it may be a bit weird for this year because 2020 is a leap year. I know from experience it messes with their systems a bit!
When I bought my AP in March the CM specifically pointed out the leap year and made sure I realized my pass would expired one day shy of the one-year mark due to getting an extra day in February.

I think I may purchase the Flex Pass. I want to use it for my SWGE reservation in June as well as a few dates in October for sure. So from what I have read, if I purchase it online now and make a reservation, my pass will be activated...is that correct? I guess I could just wait and upgrade to the AP the day of but was at the Disney Store yesterday and asked if they had any annual passes for sale and was told no. The CM said they haven't had any shipped in awhile and she thought it was because they were going to increase the prices again. I had no idea if this is true or not but kind of don't want to wait to purchase the FP, just in case of a price increase.

When I bought my AP in March the CM specifically pointed out the leap year and made sure I realized my pass would expired one day shy of the one-year mark due to getting an extra day in February.

Yeah, it didn't use to be this way. Obviously they got wise, and decided to compensate for the Leap Year by adjusting the expiration date.

I think I may purchase the Flex Pass. I want to use it for my SWGE reservation in June as well as a few dates in October for sure. So from what I have read, if I purchase it online now and make a reservation, my pass will be activated...is that correct? I guess I could just wait and upgrade to the AP the day of but was at the Disney Store yesterday and asked if they had any annual passes for sale and was told no. The CM said they haven't had any shipped in awhile and she thought it was because they were going to increase the prices again. I had no idea if this is true or not but kind of don't want to wait to purchase the FP, just in case of a price increase.

Nobody seems to know 100% for sure. Someone said that when you purchase Any AP online, it automatically shows as starting that day, but then it will update upon your 1st visit. That may be happening here.

Unless someone finds out how it works, we'll have to wait until someone posts that they purchased online, and used on a later date, and confirms what their actual pass ends up showing.

Nobody seems to know 100% for sure. Someone said that when you purchase Any AP online, it automatically shows as starting that day, but then it will update upon your 1st visit. That may be happening here.

Unless someone finds out how it works, we'll have to wait until someone posts that they purchased online, and used on a later date, and confirms what their actual pass ends up showing.
As long as I am able to make a reservation now, I would not mind the pass being activated. Maybe I'll give them a call. Thanks.

So I reserved May 26th and 27th. Once the 26th hits I can go ahead and reserve June 22nd(if available)?

That's awesome! Thanks for being the one to call and get that info.
Two different CMs have told me the same but saw this post on a Facebook group I belong to: "Warning: On Monday May 21, we bought 2 Flex passes to add to existing Deluxe passes in our party. We booked our 2 days and then went to the ticket booth in the afternoon to get the pass and enter for the evening. We were with the ticketing CM for about 20 minutes.

Since we booked our future days before getting the physical pass, the computer system was stuck and couldn't issue the 2 Flex passes. The CM gave us a comp day pass and told us to return another day, and that's when the 365 day count down will begin."

I'm sure there will be some glitches with this new AP.

Crunching the numbers on this I'm not sure how good a deal this pass is given the lower %'s for the discounts and that it does not include parking.

Flex Pass $599
Requires reservations for all weekend days and some other dates
Blocked for Christmas/NYE weeks
Doesn't include parking
Discount for food is 10%
Discount for merch is 10%

Let's say you go once per month for the year. Or any combination of 12 total visits. Parking is $25 per visit which adds $300. With 12 visits the total cost is now $900.

Signature Pass: $1149
No reservations required for either park
Blocked only for Christmas/NYE weeks
Includes parking
Discount for food is 15%
Discount for merch is 20%

The price difference between the two is $249. Some of that difference would likely be off-set by the difference in the discount percentages. For an estimate, say you spend $50 on food and $50 on merch each trip. Discount difference per trip is $7.50 times 12 visits=$90.

So now the difference, using conservative estimates, between the Flex Pass and the Signature Pass is $159.

Is saving $159 worth the "cost" of having to plan 30 days in advance, the risk of reservations not being available for one or both parks, and the loss of flexibility to be able to enter either park any day except for the two weeks of Christmas/NYE?

If you go just two extra times (for a total of 14 visits instead of 12) over the course of the year the difference dwindles to under $100.

Now maybe you visit with a friend who has an AP that includes parking. Maybe you live close enough to the parks that you take public transit. Maybe you bring your own food to the park. Or maybe you're not that interested in buying merch. So YMMV, but crunch the numbers for your personal situation.

Last edited:
Crunching the numbers on this I'm not sure how good a deal this pass is given the lower %'s for the discounts and that it does not include parking.
Is saving $159 worth the "cost" of having to plan 30 days in advance, the risk of reservations not being available for one or both parks, and the loss of flexibility to be able to enter either park any day except for the two weeks of Christmas/NYE?

If you go just two extra times (for a total of 14 visits instead of 12) over the course of the year the difference dwindles to under $100.

YMMV, but crunch the numbers for your personal situation.

If you know where to park, it's free, and you can take the ART Bus round trip for around $6. I refuse to just willingly pay 50% or more of the pass cost, just to park. IMO there is no bigger ripoff in the world than Paid Parking. If you think Disney is making a lot of money on the $100+ tickets, imagine how much they make charging each vehicle $25 to take up 1 spot in a giant parking garage.

If you know where to park, it's free, and you can take the ART Bus round trip for around $6. I refuse to just willingly pay 50% or more of the pass cost, just to park. IMO there is no bigger ripoff in the world than Paid Parking. If you think Disney is making a lot of money on the $100+ tickets, imagine how much they make charging each vehicle $25 to take up 1 spot in a giant parking garage.

I agree with this. I have been staying in walking distance or with a shuttle and it’s 10 times better then the crap show of parking they have there now.

If you're out of area, and stay at a hotel, you can leave your car there (assuming you choose a hotel that includes parking).
Sure, but a lot of hotels in the area charge for parking. And there is the cost in extra time to get from your hotel to the park and back each day. Also, you can only reserve two visits a month outside of the "good to go" days.

I agree with this. I have been staying in walking distance or with a shuttle and it’s 10 times better then the crap show of parking they have there now.
Agreed. Which is why I said YMMV so crunch the numbers for your personal situation.

And I edited my original post to add:

"Now maybe you visit with a friend who has an AP that includes parking. Maybe you live close enough to the parks that you take public transit. Maybe you bring your own food to the park. Or maybe you're not that interested in buying merch."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter