News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
My *non-spoiler* review of the live-action Aladdin: I was very skeptical about this movie going into it. However, it was very enjoyable. There were a few moments of the film that I didn’t like for one reason or another. However, I was impressed with the acting, the dancing, and the singing (at times). There are several aspects to this film that aren’t in the animated feature, and I really enjoyed this fresh take on a Disney classic! Would I see this movie again? Yes I would, but I’m not running to see it again. Do I think this movie is worth seeing in a theater? Yes. I think this movie should be seen in a movie theater first. Overall, I give the live-action Aladdin a 7 out of 10.

Thanks for your review - I am intrigued but skeptical but reviews seem pretty good so we are planning to see it this weekend

It's all security theatre.

I actually disagree. To me, "security theatre" is something done solely to placate the public. But, as SaintsManiac notes, the fact that weapons have been caught proves it is at least partially effective.

As some people here know, I used to be a Cast Member at Disney World. I'm always a bit cagey when it comes to discussing backstage information. Without revealing proprietary information, I can say that the security you see at theme park entrances is not the only security happening. Much more goes on than the general public realizes.

My *non-spoiler* review of the live-action Aladdin: I was very skeptical about this movie going into it. However, it was very enjoyable. There were a few moments of the film that I didn’t like for one reason or another. However, I was impressed with the acting, the dancing, and the singing (at times). There are several aspects to this film that aren’t in the animated feature, and I really enjoyed this fresh take on a Disney classic! Would I see this movie again? Yes I would, but I’m not running to see it again. Do I think this movie is worth seeing in a theater? Yes. I think this movie should be seen in a movie theater first. Overall, I give the live-action Aladdin a 7 out of 10.

Went tonight down here, enjoyed it.

Kinda miss the old version... it was unique. Now its like a watered down Fantasmic. At least Disney kept the parade of the animal spirit guides.

I will still go see it in person, but I am glad to have seen the original.

Kinda miss the old version... it was unique. Now its like a watered down Fantasmic. At least Disney kept the parade of the animal spirit guides.

I will still go see it in person, but I am glad to have seen the original.
I actually like the ending to this better otherwise yeah.

I watched the video. I’ll reserve judgment until I see it in person tonight.

Overall thoughts: Some moments I liked. Other moments I was confused about especially musically. I’ll see how I feel tonight about this.

I thought some of the music worked well and other bits not as much .... I am glad they kept as much of the original music as they did as I really like it

One thing I didn't like was that they kept switching between the animated version and "live action" version of some of the movies (I think there was one spot then went right from animated to live action for the Jungle book) and then in other parts they have regular "real" live action of real animals - so it was a bit confusing and jumbled. I think they should have just done animated for the IP parts and anything that looks "life" is real

Overall I think they did a pretty good job and if it makes the show more approachable to more people I am all for it (still miss the live actors on the boats)

Well the Expansion of Aspire to UCF means UCF just got a large Financial Windfall, more jobs for UCF, in saying that I wonder if its phase one of Disneys plans to try and entice more students to work for them longer then just the college program. I have a feeling this is part PR, and part Disney stretching its fingers to try and recruit even more of a larger workforce. Try and hit students before they even apply to college with a "Hey if you apply for UCF and move to florida for college, if you work for US, college will be free. The next step though if Disney wants to do that is to have maybe Disney Paid for Dorms closer to UCF for students slash workers, I know the big thing that stops the possibility of a 5th gate is the already slim workforce for Disney and Universal. With Universal looking like it is going forward with its plans for a 3rd theme park, and Disneys continuing build of new resorts, there is a possibility in the future that even the college program will find it hard to fill enough workers for their needs. This program if it continues to expand might actually be a larger boon for the parks then just the positive PR

Well the Expansion of Aspire to UCF means UCF just got a large Financial Windfall, more jobs for UCF, in saying that I wonder if its phase one of Disneys plans to try and entice more students to work for them longer then just the college program. I have a feeling this is part PR, and part Disney stretching its fingers to try and recruit even more of a larger workforce. Try and hit students before they even apply to college with a "Hey if you apply for UCF and move to florida for college, if you work for US, college will be free. The next step though if Disney wants to do that is to have maybe Disney Paid for Dorms closer to UCF for students slash workers, I know the big thing that stops the possibility of a 5th gate is the already slim workforce for Disney and Universal. With Universal looking like it is going forward with its plans for a 3rd theme park, and Disneys continuing build of new resorts, there is a possibility in the future that even the college program will find it hard to fill enough workers for their needs. This program if it continues to expand might actually be a larger boon for the parks then just the positive PR

I definitely could see that as an angle to pitch - free/reduced cost college and promise of a jon when you graduate (if you meet certain requirements). .... I do think to keep people for the very long term they need to increase wages - not necessarily for those in the college program or new hires - but for those that have experience and have shown to add value to entice them to stay

I definitely could see that as an angle to pitch - free/reduced cost college and promise of a jon when you graduate (if you meet certain requirements). .... I do think to keep people for the very long term they need to increase wages - not necessarily for those in the college program or new hires - but for those that have experience and have shown to add value to entice them to stay
Oh I agree, but the carrot for the raise of those workers will be go back to school get a degree in hospitality or entertainment. Disney does have risk with this though, because as they educate these employees and get them degrees, if they dont increase salary and wages, they will just lose them to other businesses. For example in the IT world alot of big companies want employees to get certified in certain things and alot of big companies are willing to pay for that certification, the issue is once people become certified, if a company doesnt increase wages quick enough, people are willing to leave for the larger pay checks, as wages have stagnated and companies have shown less loyalty to their employees, the work force including younger workers are showing companies less loyalty for employment. So yes you are completely correct that Disney will need to eventually increase wages overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter