News Round Up 2020

Universal Rumor

Universal may be planning on Nintendo replacing Kidzone now instead of opening with the delayed Epic Universe. Most recently this was the rumored location for a Pokémon land.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/ru...tendo-world-in-orlando-rumors-more-sharkstop/https://themeparkshark.com/universa...oner-as-epic-universe-postponed-indefinitely/
I remember this being the initial rumor like a few years ago for Nintendo. It was that E.T. would stay but Barney,etc would go.

So Worlds of Fun (owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment) is closing for the season after Labor Day weekend (last day of operation Labor Day having been open since June 22nd). This means no Halloween events and no Winterfest (select weekends in November and December). The water park Oceans of Fun never opened and will remain closed.

Not surprising though. Their press release was citing uncertainty which I totally get. I think theme parks are probably really struggling with the idea of doing this events in the fall and holiday season and with places like Worlds of Fun the weather plays a big roll as the operating season is not year round.

So Worlds of Fun (owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment) is closing for the season after Labor Day weekend (last day of operation Labor Day having been open since June 22nd). This means no Halloween events and no Winterfest (select weekends in November and December). The water park Oceans of Fun never opened and will remain closed.

Not surprising though. Their press release was citing uncertainty which I totally get. I think theme parks are probably really struggling with the idea of doing this events in the fall and holiday season and with places like Worlds of Fun the weather plays a big roll as the operating season is not year round.
Cedar Point and Kings Island announced a new Halloween event for this year, designed for distancing. I believe all other Cedar Fair parks have cancelled Halloween events. Six Flags has stated it’s intentions to have some form of events as well.

Gilroy Gardens, Kings Dominion and Carowinds also not opening this year at all now.

OUch ... But not surprising.

So, unless Disney gets DL open, offers discounts to increase attendance from non-locals .. and figures out a different model to release their movies besides the traditional theater model (which is probably dead as we knew it), I just see them bleeding money. Though I don't quite understand the stock market .. Disney futures are UP 4% in after hours trading? I guess they didn't lose as much money as expected. Heh.

Until the world/country is panicking less about the virus (in other words don't freak out if you get it .. don't shut down businesses/ball games if a few people get it, etc.) .. I don't see how Disney DOES do things to boost business.

So, unless Disney gets DL open, offers discounts to increase attendance from non-locals .. and figures out a different model to release their movies besides the traditional theater model (which is probably dead as we knew it), I just see them bleeding money. Though I don't quite understand the stock market .. Disney futures are UP 4% in after hours trading? I guess they didn't lose as much money as expected. Heh.

Until the world/country is panicking less about the virus (in other words don't freak out if you get it .. don't shut down businesses/ball games if a few people get it, etc.) .. I don't see how Disney DOES do things to boost business.
Can you please stop throwing your personal opinions on the virus into every one of your posts? I usually agree with your main points in your posts, but almost everytime you then have to devolve into condescension about the virus and people not getting back to their normal lives or overreacting to the virus. This isn’t the place for that discussion.

Honestly all things considered they had a great quarter. Wanna hear a crazy number? 31% of Walt Disney’s revenue for the quarter came from affiliate fees (e.g. monthly cable bills)

Honestly all things considered they had a great quarter. Wanna hear a crazy number? 31% of Walt Disney’s revenue for the quarter came from affiliate fees (e.g. monthly cable bills)
If you call losing almost 5 billion dollars great, I don't know that to say. No Disney isn't going to go bankrupt but today was not a good day. The only thing they focused on was the D+ and didn't talk about the parks much. IMO it looks good on them. I say that mainly for how they have destroyed Epcot. It was my favorite park when World of Motion, Horizons, Wonders of Life and Maelstrom was there. Now its becoming no different then all the other Disney parks in being IP centric. They should have continued on with adding the original planned World Showcase attractions.

I can see them doing that for binge watching the Mandalorian as well as the MCU shows.
I don't. Films yes, harder for them to set that precedence with series. Especially one like Mando which is driving subscriptions. They would be more likely to raise the price of Disney+ overall than charge for the individual show.

Can you please stop throwing your personal opinions on the virus into every one of your posts? I usually agree with your main points in your posts, but almost everytime you then have to devolve into condescension about the virus and people not getting back to their normal lives or overreacting to the virus. This isn’t the place for that discussion.
Understood. My apologies. Just an opinion, but true -- for other forums.

Either way .. Disney will either need to accept the new normal (and adjust prices or just business models) . .or just plan on losing money hand over fist with their current model of super low attendance in "half" open parks.

I am curious what they will do (which is why I continue to follow here) .. and it depresses me it probably won't be good news for a while (except maybe on the Disney + front). I feel like I need to go to WDW soon (like in the next month or two) before it changes vastly any more (and while crowds are super low).

If you call losing almost 5 billion dollars great, I don't know that to say. No Disney isn't going to go bankrupt but today was not a good day. The only thing they focused on was the D+ and didn't talk about the parks much. IMO it looks good on them. I say that mainly for how they have destroyed Epcot. It was my favorite park when World of Motion, Horizons, Wonders of Life and Maelstrom was there. Now its becoming no different then all the other Disney parks in being IP centric. They should have continued on with adding the original planned World Showcase attractions.
Disney turned a profit from operations. If you want to read a one time write down of underlying asset valuation as losing money, that’s up to you, I’m not saying it’s wrong to interpret it that way but it’s not reflective of their business in the quarter. That’s why Wall Street will see the results as $0.08 profit per share for the quarter. And yes, turning a profit that shut down half your company in a pandemic is impressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter