News Round Up 2020

I don't. Films yes, harder for them to set that precedence with series. Especially one like Mando which is driving subscriptions. They would be more likely to raise the price of Disney+ overall than charge for the individual show.

I don't know ... I see the Mulan thing as a friendly way of saying you're paying $30 for early access VS the regular Dsiney+ subscribers. I could easily see Disney+ go in two possible directions:

1) Charge early access fees per series for the popular series like Star Wars and MCU stuff - AMC+ did this
2) Go the Peacock route and add a new level of subscription ... ie Disney+ 'premium' at a higher subscription rate will give early exclusive access to the popular stuff while the original Dis+ subscribers will have to wait til everything is spoiled

Just like cable TV and satellite radio ... streaming services will catch on to watering down base subscription levels into an 'entry fee' and then charge a premium for everything else

I don't know ... I see the Mulan thing as a friendly way of saying you're paying $30 for early access VS the regular Dsiney+ subscribers. I could easily see Disney+ go in two possible directions:

1) Charge early access fees per series for the popular series like Star Wars and MCU stuff - AMC+ did this
2) Go the Peacock route and add a new level of subscription ... ie Disney+ 'premium' at a higher subscription rate will give early exclusive access to the popular stuff while the original Dis+ subscribers will have to wait til everything is spoiled

Just like cable TV and satellite radio ... streaming services will catch on to watering down base subscription levels into an 'entry fee' and then charge a premium for everything else

Its the new way of being creative for CEOs with 0 actual vision. It costs countless millions to develop new content. It costs $0 to create a fastpass and charge for access to that existing content. They already do it in the parks and with ESPN+, why wouldnt we think thats gonna follow through?

Disney turned a profit from operations. If you want to read a one time write down of underlying asset valuation as losing money, that’s up to you, I’m not saying it’s wrong to interpret it that way but it’s not reflective of their business in the quarter. That’s why Wall Street will see the results as $0.08 profit per share for the quarter. And yes, turning a profit that shut down half your company in a pandemic is impressive.

Considering the Disney + numbers are mostly pr spin, you can take these pr "earnings" sessions with a grain of salt. Bundling Disney + with a company like verizon and calling all their forced subscriptions "paid" is a stretch. Its not a lie as they do get pennies on the dollar, but when those free subscriptions expire, the service would take a massive hit.

I do however see a lot of collusion between companies like this on a regular basis now... ie... ESPN3 being forced down everyones throat. Imagine the backroom deals it takes to get stuff like that done.

Their goal is to literally spin bad news as best as possible. In thise case, they made a profit yes...solely based off of forced cable bundles. What happens when (not if) that fails?

I think the difference is things like Mandelorian and the MCU series were part of the sales pitch for buying a subscription to D+ ... no one was ever promised day one access to new theatrically (planned) released movies.

Not saying they can't do it but to me that seems more like putting an added cost on something already set to be included vs providing new access at an extra vost

I think the difference is things like Mandelorian and the MCU series were part of the sales pitch for buying a subscription to D+ ... no one was ever promised day one access to new theatrically (planned) released movies.

Not saying they can't do it but to me that seems more like putting an added cost on something already set to be included vs providing new access at an extra vost

Mando and the MCU stuff would still be included with a basic D+ subscription ... but I'm thinking the premium would be for early access. Disney was already doing the early premium access in the Theme Parks. It would probably be a while before they would switch to such a model, but once the subscriber base levels they'll need an easy way to bring in more cash with little investment. I'd rather they just raise the base subscription cost a buck or two, but I fear they may get too greedy

I'm pretty cynical, but I think you are right here.

I don't see them going too crazy with the upcharges (at least not for a long while).

Next year we are going to see what the "churn" rate is for subscriptions. Will people who prepaid for a year renew? Not without new content they wont. D+ can't upcharge for early access without risking losing subscriptions. People wont renew and pay up for early access. At least I hope consumers have more control at home than they do in a WDW park, lol.

The more I've thought about it the more I think they overshot the landing with Mulan. I think the $30 pricepoint is just too high, even if you get to "keep" it for more than the normal 2 days. We will see how it plays out. The $20 pricepoint that Trolls rolled out with set the bar, IMO. For some reason $30 to me gives extra pause.

I don't see them going too crazy with the upcharges (at least not for a long while).

Next year we are going to see what the "churn" rate is for subscriptions. Will people who prepaid for a year renew? Not without new content they wont. D+ can't upcharge for early access without risking losing subscriptions. People wont renew and pay up for early access. At least I hope consumers have more control at home than they do in a WDW park, lol.

The more I've thought about it the more I think they overshot the landing with Mulan. I think the $30 pricepoint is just too high, even if you get to "keep" it for more than the normal 2 days. We will see how it plays out. The $20 pricepoint that Trolls rolled out with set the bar, IMO. For some reason $30 to me gives extra pause.

AGREED! Trolls also came back that you can purchase it after renting it. It was a good move on their part.

Reading on social media that the $30 is a purchase price (stays on your D+), but I think they're just referring to the long term rental.

AGREED! Trolls also came back that you can purchase it after renting it. It was a good move on their part.

Reading on social media that the $30 is a purchase price (stays on your D+), but I think they're just referring to the long term rental.

I think it stays on your account until it's on there for everyone as "free".

I think it would be smart on their part to also say when it will become available to everyone. If it's going to be 6 months out, that could drive sales.

I also wonder if sales are not good at $30, do they lower it after a bit?

So $30 for 6 month's early access, and then $20 for 3 month early access? Or, if it doesn't pan out at $30, do they just say forget it and drop the movie to everyone looking to increase subs? I'm really fascinated to see how this one plays out for some reason.

Plus it being $30 on top of already having to have the subscription to Disney+

We still may get it as I want to see the movie and no idea when movie theaters will be open in my area ... But even if it was like $20 for subscribers and $30 for non subscribers that would *feel" better

Last edited:
Not sure on the sound, but would watch a movie at Target Field for sure (ex).

But we only have a couple months left.

But move the screen up near the seats.

Our minor league field is currently doing this with old movies. $35 dollars gets you a 12x12 square on the field for up to 6 people. But yes, living in Michigan there isn't much time left for that. I would love to be able to watch Mulan that way (at a much higher price).

Plus it bring $30 on top of already having to have the subscription to Disney+

We still may get it as I want to see the movie and no idea when movie theaters will be open in my area ... But even if it was like $20 for subscribers and $30 for non subscribers that would *feel" better

Good point.

I want to see it as well (and I also dislike remakes). I would feel better about paying $30 if I knew I was getting it 6 months before general release. But if they are going to drop it at Christmas, I don't see the value. I can wait the extra 3 months.

Anecdotally, I like to use my wife as my economic barometer of Disney pricing. As you might have guessed, I'm more of the Disney lover in the household and can be convinced from time to time that some things Disney are worth the price tag. For Trolls, she at first thought $20 was crazy for VOD, but after 5 mins just went with it. When I told her about Mulan last night, she was appalled at that price and would rather wait until our paid subscription gets it.

I think it would do way better as you suggest, $20 for subscribers and $30 for non subscribers.

That name bothered me for a long time. It seemed to imply that moms were the go to planners. This Disney Dad resented that... :tongue:
Basically the largest developer in my area has what they call the Mom's Council. Their job is in each neighborhood to promote and organize family activities and to their credit they do a ton of that. They are extremely active in our area.

However, it's bothered some people over the years because they want other people to feel like they can join but the name alone made stay at home dad's and others feel unwelcome and originally only mom's/women were allowed to join (it's been in existence for over 20years at this point).

The name is still there but I *think* they've expanded who they've allowed on the council.

I'm all for a more neutral name, a variety of people give a variety of opinions, viewpoints, experience, etc. And for vacation planning and especially Disney that can be really important as you catch the opinions of people who may have been going to Disney for a long time, or are of a different vacation style or pace, you have had that experience with multi-generational trips, and so much more.

Good point.

I want to see it as well (and I also dislike remakes). I would feel better about paying $30 if I knew I was getting it 6 months before general release. But if they are going to drop it at Christmas, I don't see the value. I can wait the extra 3 months.

Anecdotally, I like to use my wife as my economic barometer of Disney pricing. As you might have guessed, I'm more of the Disney lover in the household and can be convinced from time to time that some things Disney are worth the price tag. For Trolls, she at first thought $20 was crazy for VOD, but after 5 mins just went with it. When I told her about Mulan last night, she was appalled at that price and would rather wait until our paid subscription gets it.

I think it would do way better as you suggest, $20 for subscribers and $30 for non subscribers.

I want to see it, but I am not paying $30 I can tell you that. I'm just not as interested in this one.

The $20 tag sits better with me, especially for something we would have gone to see in the theater. It feels like a steal to watch at home for less than what it would cost for tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts