News Round Up 2020

I would characterize Mulan as a rental whose rental term ends the day it drops on D+ for everyone.
That's a good way of looking at it. $30 + sub price (that you are already paying) for months of access to the movie is better than Trolls: World Tour -- $20 for a 48 hour rental and then having to essentially "re-buy" the movie a month or two later to watch it "unlimited".

I just wonder though if this will mean it will be either NEVER be free on D+ or take a lot longer to get to D+ than it normally would have.

I just don't want D+ to become like Amazon Prime and/or Peacock where you have to navigate and figure out which content is "included' and which content is an extra price.

I am fine with an "early access" fee to some Disney content. I just personally don't think Mulan is the best movie to try this out with. Black Widow would probably be a better test, but I guess they are still holding out home they can show it in the theatres?

I just want them to start selling APs again! Not for these discounts .. just for the "freedom" to go and get some value of going during this reduced/restricted times.

Any rumblings when/if they may re-open those? What's the thought on why they stopped selling them? Were they afraid the parks would fill up too much from semi-local AP holders? (But they have that capacity capped, right?)

I would be planning a fall/winter trip right now if I could get the value of doing it with an AP rather than regular tickets. (Even if you still can't park hop then). I wouldn't mind going to "half" a park.. knowing I have an AP to come back in a year at a more "normal" time.

Cedar Point and Kings Island announced a new Halloween event for this year, designed for distancing. I believe all other Cedar Fair parks have cancelled Halloween events. Six Flags has stated it’s intentions to have some form of events as well.

Gilroy Gardens, Kings Dominion and Carowinds also not opening this year at all now.
I'd think the way CF and SF do Halloween I'd think they'd be able to pull it off without too many issues.

$30 for Mulan doesn't work for me. I would only pay about $40 for my family of three to see this in the theater, but at home I am not paying that price. My price point for paying EXTRA for it would be about $20 (remember we are already paying a monthly fee for Disney +). Perhaps enough people will do it to come out OK. They probably need about 5-10 million subscribers to pay the fee to make a profit though.

$30 for Mulan doesn't work for me. I would only pay about $40 for my family of three to see this in the theater, but at home I am not paying that price. My price point for paying EXTRA for it would be about $20 (remember we are already paying a monthly fee for Disney +). Perhaps enough people will do it to come out OK. They probably need about 5-10 million subscribers to pay the fee to make a profit though.

or at the very least more subscribers paying for it this way than theater tickets sold if they released it to theaters soon or eventually

It might not be that they think they will make a ton of $ this way, but that they think it is the "best of bad solutions" so they will "make back" the most this way vs other options

Plus it being $30 on top of already having to have the subscription to Disney+

We still may get it as I want to see the movie and no idea when movie theaters will be open in my area ... But even if it was like $20 for subscribers and $30 for non subscribers that would *feel" better

Doesn't make sense. D+ is 6.99 a month. Their business plan is a smart one. If you don't want to drop cash now, you have to wait just like any other movie release.

That's a good way of looking at it. $30 + sub price (that you are already paying) for months of access to the movie is better than Trolls: World Tour -- $20 for a 48 hour rental and then having to essentially "re-buy" the movie a month or two later to watch it "unlimited".

I just wonder though if this will mean it will be either NEVER be free on D+ or take a lot longer to get to D+ than it normally would have.

I just don't want D+ to become like Amazon Prime and/or Peacock where you have to navigate and figure out which content is "included' and which content is an extra price.

I am fine with an "early access" fee to some Disney content. I just personally don't think Mulan is the best movie to try this out with. Black Widow would probably be a better test, but I guess they are still holding out home they can show it in the theatres?

D+ is still too new to know how long the normal cycle would have been - Theatrical Release - Blu Ray Sales/Red Box Rental - Streaming. We don't have any data for that and any of the newer movies already on D+ at or soon after release can't be used as a data point because they were probably used to entice people to sign up for the service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter