Nexus at US airports

jtdl

DIS Veteran
How does Nexus work for using TSA precheck? We have had Nexus for 6 years but have never used it at an airport - I thought you had to go through another process so didn't bother. We flew to Orlando earlier this year from Detroit and friends' who flew with us, who DO NOT have Nexus, had TSA Precheck on their boarding passes and yet we did not. They didn't even realize they had it until they went to get in line at security and they told them they had to go to the other line! So I am wondering if we just go in the Precheck line and use our Nexus cards or do we have to be set up for something different? We will be again flying out of Detroit airport.

When you book your airline tickets there is usually a spot to enter your Nexus number and that gives you the TSEPre on your boarding pass. I would log into your flight reservation (if you have one already) and see if you can enter it now.

I went onto my reservation on United and it does have a spot to add a Nexus number but it says if you are a US citizen :(

I went onto my reservation on United and it does have a spot to add a Nexus number but it says if you are a US citizen :(
On United's website, sign into your account and go to the "Edit Travellers" or whatever it's called and enter your NEXUS number in the space for "Trusted Traveller Number". It's the same place you enter passport info as well. You should automatically get the TSA PreCheck on your boarding pass.

Just went back and had a peek.

1. Sign into your account from the main page.
2. In the "Mileage Plus" menu at the top right of the page choose "My Account".
3. Near the bottom of the page choose the "Edit Travellers" link.
4. Find the "Known Traveller Number" text and click on the "+" beside it.
5. Enter your NEXUS number in the box.
6. Save changes.

Ok, I'm still getting this when I click on the little ? beside where you enter the known traveller number.

"If you are a U.S. citizen currently enrolled in any of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry™, NEXUS or SENTRI), please provide your Known Traveler Number or Pass ID. (You are not required to enter one of these numbers.)"

I guess I will enter it there anyway and hope for the best.

It says the same thing when I hover the over "?" in my account. Just go ahead and enter your number in the box. It should work fine, mine sure did. Don't forget, as long as you've provided your fingerprints for your NEXUS card, you also automatically get Global Entry as well. If not it's easy to drop by the office and have them added to your account. In my opinion, GE is definitely worth having anytime you're entering the US by air.

DH has used his Nexus card several times when doing border crossings. Usually in Canadian airports, he just has to show it when he gets to security or customs & immigration. But in US airports, it has to be entered into the system when doing online check-in for TSA pre-approval. You can't just show up at security and show it. Learned that the hard way last year when flying out of Orlando and we didn't show it when getting our boarding passes at check in. Spent almost an hour in security. Since then, he's done a lot of Canada/US travel and either does on-line boarding pass/check-in and makes sure to enter his number or shows it to the agent when doing a check-in at the airport (US airport).

For some airlines, you can go into your frequent flyer profile and enter your KTN. They then have it for all FUTURE MADE reservations tied to your frequent flyer number.

For some airlines you have to call the airline and provide it to them; they have no way of accepting it online.

For some airlines you can add it when you do online checkin.

For some airlines you have to show the Nexus card in person when you checkin (in person).

If you ALREADY have a reservation and have not provided the KTN beforehand, you have to call the airline and get them to add it to your reservation. EVEN IF you later add it to your FF profile, that only affects FUTURE reservations not ones you have already made.

Finally, if you are flying on a ticket that has multiple airlines involved, the first airline may not pass on your KTN info the the others -- so it is a good idea to call and make sure all the airlines have your KTN associated to those reservations. I had to do this recently with a trip that involved WestJet and Delta flights.

Most airlines have info on their website about their specific procedures for adding a KTN.

SW

Hi there - I know it has been a while since this thread was last in circulation, but hoping someone can help out.

Just checking with someone who has used Nexus at MCO.
We'll be using Air Canada (via Aeroplan reward tickets) in August - all of us have Nexus cards (done!) - but this is the first time/trip we'll be using them, and we'll be (somewhat) pressed for time getting off our DIS cruise and flying back to YYZ direct via MCO.

Just trying to understand the process/steps at MCO.
Once I ensure that Air Canada / Aeroplan has our Nexus info associated with our reservation (done!) when we get to MCO, what do we do / where do we go?

For example, I assume that we go and get our boarding passes at the Air Canada desk as usual - I assume we show the rep our Nexus info.
What happens next?

Is there (I'm assuming/hoping) a different security line then the regular security line at MCO that we use?

Thanks for your help / patience!

Last edited:
Hi there - I know it has been a while since this thread was last in circulation, but hoping someone can help out.

Just checking with someone who has used Nexus at MCO.
We'll be using Air Canada (via Aeroplan reward tickets) in August - all of us have Nexus cards (done!) - but this is the first time/trip we'll be using them, and we'll be (somewhat) pressed for time getting off our DIS cruise and flying back to YYZ direct via MCO.

Just trying to understand the process/steps at MCO.
Once I ensure that Air Canada / Aeroplan has our Nexus info associated with our reservation (done!) when we get to MCO, what do we do / where do we go?

For example, I assume that we go and get our boarding passes at the Air Canada desk as usual - I assume we show the rep our Nexus info.
What happens next?

Is there (I'm assuming/hoping) a different security line then the regular security line at MCO that we use?

Thanks for your help / patience!

We have always checked in online from our Disney Resort so not 100% sure about checking in at the airport. We enter our "Know Traveller Number" or "Passenger ID" (Nexus number) when prompted. A "Pre Check" shows up on our boarding pass. At the far right of the security lines will be a couple of lines for Pre Check's.

We have always checked in online from our Disney Resort so not 100% sure about checking in at the airport. We enter our "Know Traveller Number" or "Passenger ID" (Nexus number) when prompted. A "Pre Check" shows up on our boarding pass. At the far right of the security lines will be a couple of lines for Pre Check's.

Thanks. When you said " At the far right of the security lines will be a couple of lines for Pre Check's" -- can I assume this is a separate security check / separate from the regular security line that someone without Nexus uses?

Appreciate it!

Yes, it's a separate line on the right side of the regular security lines. There is a desk with the PreCheck sign, you can't miss it!

Would recommend checking in on the ship if they allow that. I know Royal does but don't remember if DCL did.

Just got NEXUS cards for the rest of the family myself - looking forward to using global entry and pre-check when I go on Harmony in august.

Would recommend checking in on the ship if they allow that. I know Royal does but don't remember if DCL did.

Just got NEXUS cards for the rest of the family myself - looking forward to using global entry and pre-check when I go on Harmony in august.

For cruising I believe that only Fort Lauderdale cruise terminals (Port Everglades) have the Global Entry kiosks at customs. Maybe they expanded this since then but I would be surprised if Port Canaveral had installed them. There wasn't any when we took a cruise on DCL in March 2016 and NCL in March 2017. BTW, it doesn't depend on the cruise line if they have Global Entry or not but on the US government (CBP) and port authorities.

If you have a middle name on your Nexus card, make sure that your airline profile does as well. Mine didn't and I wasn't getting the "PreClear" stamp. Once I added my middle name to the profile, I've always gotten it.

For cruising I believe that only Fort Lauderdale cruise terminals (Port Everglades) have the Global Entry kiosks at customs. Maybe they expanded this since then but I would be surprised if Port Canaveral had installed them. There wasn't any when we took a cruise on DCL in March 2016 and NCL in March 2017. BTW, it doesn't depend on the cruise line if they have Global Entry or not but on the US government (CBP) and port authorities.
You'd think Port Canaveral would be on the short list of new places to add global entry, given the amount of traffic there since adding Oasis and NCL Epic plus the recent and future terminal expansion.

But since Harmony of the Seas sails out of Port Everglades I'm covered. :)

Happy to see this thread. We don't have Nexus but freq get TSA Pre Check on our boarding tickets. Departing from YVR is there a separate pre check security line?
When I asked last trip they just said oh, that's just for the US, not Canada. Then why is it on my Canadian ticket leaving Canada?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter