NEXUS questions

deedubb

Always Grumpy, except when at Disney!
Thinking of applying although it's a bit of a nuisance since there is no enrollment centre that is close.

Is it only beneficial when crossing the border? ie. if we are already in Detroit (or Buffalo), does Nexus provide any benefit when flying from one of those airports to MCO? Similarly, MCO back to Detroit or Buffalo, any benefit?

Do you need to bring passports as well when crossing the border by land or air, or is Nexus enough? I read about someone who had detailed questioning, and was asked to see their passport, even though they provided their NEXUS card.

TIA.

We have only used ours when traveling by air. When flying, you do need both your passport and Nexus card. When entering the US you need your passport because you automatically get Global Entry which puts you in the short line and you use your fingerprints for ID there. Coming back to Canada you go to the Nexus line and use your Nexus card and retina scan for ID. Personally, I would never leave the country without my passport regardless of how I'm travelling. Another benefit is the Nexus card gives you "trusted traveller" status that gives you TSA PreCheck in the US and allows you to go to the express security line for domestic air travel. We absolutely love ours and it has saved us tons of time and stress even though we typically use ours only once per year.

The benefit of having TSA Pre check is simply amazing. No long line through security. We just flew MCO to Detroit and it took about 2 minutes to go through security. Then while crossing the border at Sarnia, it took about 30 seconds. I don’t know how we coped when we travelled and didn’t have Nexus

One thing we have found is that your Nexus card doesn’t really work as normal if you, or someone in your party, requires wheelchair assistance in an airport. When I travel with a friend in a wheelchair, our entire small party is expedited through the airport following the airport’s (or security’s?) protocols for wheelchair users. Based on our experience, I would say it takes us a bit longer to get through the airport than if we were simply using Nexus.

Also, depending on the season, time of day, etc. sometimes the regular lines at certain airports are shorter than the lines for Nexus users. Of course, YMMV.

I agree that the TSA pre check line at MCO is wonderful. Not only is it short, but you also don't have to remove your shoes, jacket, liquids, laptops, you just load everything up on the belt and walk through the metal detector. Most airports have separate "trusted traveler" security queues, but Orlando's makes it worth having a Nexus card for sure.

One thing we have found is that your Nexus card doesn’t really work as normal if you, or someone in your party, requires wheelchair assistance in an airport. When I travel with a friend in a wheelchair, our entire small party is expedited through the airport following the airport’s (or security’s?) protocols for wheelchair users. Based on our experience, I would say it takes us a bit longer to get through the airport than if we were simply using Nexus.

Also, depending on the season, time of day, etc. sometimes the regular lines at certain airports are shorter than the lines for Nexus users. Of course, YMMV.
Agree with this. At a previous job we had retreats in Clearwater Beach (I know, tough job) so had to fly in and out of Tampa. Tampa's airport setup is similar to MCO, except that the security checkpoints are at each pod instead of a singular point in the main terminal, and in terms of speed there's no effective difference in time when comparing pre-check vs standard lines.

With that said, I like not having to take off shoes, belts etc so I'd still stick with the precheck line where I can do so.

Thanks everyone. Someone told me it's really only useful for crossing the border and did not give you TSA pre-check, so I'm glad that is not the case.

Thanks everyone. Someone told me it's really only useful for crossing the border and did not give you TSA pre-check, so I'm glad that is not the case.

Nexus can give you Global Entry [expedited US Customs] and TSA Pre-Check as well as Nexus itself.

We have never used it at a land border because the nearest land crossing to us doesn't have Nexus lanes.

We have used it flying to/from the US where we have taken advantage of the Nexus security lanes in Canada, the TSA Pre-check lanes in the US, the Global Entry lane for US Customs pre-clearance, and the Nexus lane for Canada Customs. We've also used it flying within Canada where we have taken advantage of the Nexus security lanes in Canada.

Worth every penny in time saved, IMO.

SW

Nexus is totally worth getting. As someone mentioned above, you can even use it on domestic flights to get preferred security lines. A caveat that it’s not always perfect though.
- I flew Toronto to New York with a non-Nexus friend and was able to calculate a definitive 45-minute time savings since I had to wait for her.
- The return flight only netted me 2-minutes of savings.
- And finally, there are times when I’ve had to wait LONGER in the Nexus line. If the preferred security line is rarely used, sometimes they need to do something special for you. For example, I was about to walk through the body scanner when someone saw my TSA-Pre slip. They had me step aside to wait for someone to open one of those very basic retractable stanchions. Meanwhile, a dozen people went through the scanner.

A more important note is to answer your question about requiring a passport. The Nexus does NOT replace your passport and you still need to provide it. I always hand both over at the same time. More than that, there are many situations where you can’t use your Nexus card, and dozens of rules you need to follow lest your Nexus be revoked. It’s something to take seriously and is not a ‘get out of security free’ pass.

@Chrisizzle's point about the rules is a very good one to keep in mind. It doesn't take much of a reason to have your Nexus privileges revoked, so be very familiar with the rules. The very first time I used mine, it was a very early morning and I hadn't slept well, so I did the kiosk thing and absent-mindedly walked right past the CBP agent's counter. He was not impressed and I thought my Nexus was as good as gone right there. Luckily I was just firmly reminded that it was "expedited service" not a "free pass". Many people I know actually brag that they take undeclared food and other items through customs, or go over on their personal exemption and never declare the excess. Try that with Nexus, get inspected, and it'll be serious, for sure.

However, having said all that, it's relatively easy to keep within those rules by being diligent and honest. If we go with anything that can be consumed (food), we always declare it and have it in our carry-on bags for easy access if needed. Coming back I always have all the receipts for the stuff we're bringing back, organized, totalled, and converted to Canadian dollars, just in case. For us it doesn't matter if we've worn it or washed it, we still declare it. Fortunately, all our older Disney wear is showing it's age so it won't be confused with mew merchandise.

My brother's actually got revoked a few years ago because of something or other driving across the border. I believe it was due to not declaring goods in excess of the limits or similar.

Anyway, this almost caused him to miss our flight after our cruise last year (link in my signature) since he couldn't go through the Global Entry line. He actually tried signing up for Mobile Passport but my niece's passport was shortly expiring so he couldn't do it.

A have a few of points to contribute:

1) Even though being a Nexus member makes you eligible for TSA precheck, not all airlines participate in TSA precheck, so keep that in mind, For example, Air Transat is not a participating airline.
2) When you have young kids that are younger than a certain age and don't have a retina scan on file, you will still have to see an agent (though the line is much shorter); you cannot do everything at a kiosk.
3) Even though a Nexus card is a valid document for entering the U.S. and Canada (i.e., a passport shouldn't be required, and it is not if crossing a land border), not all airlines recognize a Nexus card for their purposes, i.e., to be able to board the plane (lack of training on their part, but that's the way it is).

Maybe you can help me with a question I have. DH’s new work sends him to the USA to inspect suppliers so they meet Hydro-Quebec’s norms. He travels with his work laptop and a binder with all the norms the products need to fulfill. He says he can use his Nexus card since those are not commercial goods. I’m not 100% sure. What do you think? I remember the agent telling us laptops are okay but I wonder if the binder is?

I am certain the laptop is fine. That is an everyday item nowadays.

I think the motivation for the restriction is that ‘commercial’ goods may be sold (or otherwise left behind) in the USA without paying duties or taxes. For example, even my smallest photo kit (a backpack with two camera bodies and 3 lenses) is worth $20,000.

This is an odd thing for me to get used to. When I grew up (1980s - 1990s), it was Canada customs that was strict because Canadians bought stuff in the USA for less and snuck things home. So, I think it’s weird that a USA border agent thinks I am taking my tools-of-the-trade and will want to take a loss by selling them in the USA.

Anyways, regarding your husbands laptop. I think an exception would be if he were a laptop salesman and this was a sample product. Realistically, that could still be brought in under the radar, but would technically need to be declared.

This is an odd thing for me to get used to. When I grew up (1980s - 1990s), it was Canada customs that was strict because Canadians bought stuff in the USA for less and snuck things home. So, I think it’s weird that a USA border agent thinks I am taking my tools-of-the-trade and will want to take a loss by selling them in the USA.
I suppose whether you make a profit or loss on the sale is irrelevant to them, and they just want to ensure that you're not planning on selling the stuff.

Maybe you can help me with a question I have. DH’s new work sends him to the USA to inspect suppliers so they meet Hydro-Quebec’s norms. He travels with his work laptop and a binder with all the norms the products need to fulfill. He says he can use his Nexus card since those are not commercial goods. I’m not 100% sure. What do you think? I remember the agent telling us laptops are okay but I wonder if the binder is?
The binder should be ok. It's essentially hard copies of what he might have on the laptop.

2) When you have young kids that are younger than a certain age and don't have a retina scan on file, you will still have to see an agent (though the line is much shorter); you cannot do everything at a kiosk.
Excellent point here. My younger daughter was too young to do the retina scan when we got her NEXUS, so we do ours at the kiosk and then go to the agent. It's still generally shorter than the regular CBP lines.

The other posters are correct: both are fine. So long as he doesn't plan on selling the laptop or binder and they will (normally) return with you, it's not a big deal.

As a slightly antiquated example, traveling with 200 rolls of film to shoot as a professional photographer is fine, but traveling with 200 rolls of film to sell them is not: the intent is what matters.

Great info in this thread everyone. Thanks again. Sent off the application today for the whole family. Hope we get the cards in time for our summer trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!