Nightime question?? Please offer opinion!

Lisa616

Earning My Ears
We are making our first trip to WDW on friday! Can't wait!! Our kids are 4,7,9. We plan on spending every day (5) at a park, including a water park. We'd really rather spend the evenings enjoying our condo at OKW, but I feel like I would really be missing something if we don't do Wishes and Spectro. Any opinions?? The thought of fighting crowds in the evening, vs. relaxing at the pool and getting the kids to bed at a decent hour (we are planning on using EMH). Seems like I've already made up my mind, but I am really worried we are missing something so incredible, I'll regret it!! Please help!!

I remember spectro from ages past , never saw wishes but they are worth it in my opinion, same with illuminations, fantasmic isn't that late..don't know your kids but personally I would go home and nap a little and go back just before hand if nothing else. we usually go to illuminations every night we are there so obviously we are not well balanced!

That attitude that you can't do it all will make your trip so much better. Our last trip, DS was 9 and we found that after a full day in the parks, we were just too tired to do a lot of the night stuff. We did fantasmic one night, but did not see any of the others. We too were first at the park kind of people. If you do try a late night or two, you might want to shift your plans to allow a little later start to the next day. This trip(6weeks!) we are planning some later night but are also planning later starts the next morning. Just relax and your trip will be great.
PS. The pool is always the kids favorite thing anyway!!!

Jordan's mom

I would suggest that at least one night out of your vacation you should either catch Spectromagic or Fantasmic. You don't have to do it every night, just try and make that one special night, it will be worth it. The rest of the time, do the relaxing by the pool thing! That is exactly what we plan on doing, but we will catch spectro, fantasmic and illuminations once each.

Have fun!

I agree with Jann1033. I would go to MK for SpectroMagic and Wishes. We were just there last week, Spectro wasn't running until the night we left, so we missed it. Wishes was, but we had already planned to attend MNSSHP, so it didn't work out for us to see that, either. We are going again in April, so it wasn't a huge problem. We also stayed at OKW, in a 2 BR Villa. LOVED IT!!! But, we didn't get to use it like I would have liked to. I only used the whirlpool tub once. Just too exhausted once we got back to the room. Next time we will stay longer and relax more, but I won't skip those 2 shows. I won't miss Illuminations or fantasmic, either.

We stayed in 3519. Great proximity to the bus stop, Old Turtle Pond Road, and 1 st floor. My parents were in 3513. Lovely spot.

I know you will enjoy your trip, but maybe consider an afternoon nap and returning for the evening shows just one night while there.

Lori

They are wonderful. But you will know your family and whether or not you are all up to it or not. Make magical memories and return again in the future, picking up what you miss this time and finding all the new things you will be looking for the third time you go. Enjoy!!!!!!! :wave2:

Illuminations at Epcot is an absolutely stunning show. I don't blame you for wanting to get some (gasp) R&R during your vacation, but all of the nighttime shows are wonderful.

Personally, my choice would be to take a mid-day break and return to the parks after dinner. If you're not the type who feels obligated to line-up an hour before a parade/show to get a "front row" seat, you'll find the ride lines to be very managable right up to the start of the show.

The worst part is trying to get out of the park...with thousands of others heading for the same bus/monorail/boat.

i agree with tjkraz, the days you intend to go in the eveining, spend the afternoon at the resort. Fantasmic is a must see and I never get tired of it. There is so much more feel of Magic at MK in the night.

we just got back and our 4 and 7 yo DD are still talking about Illuminations, wishes, spectro, and fantasmic...seeing all the great night time shows was a highlight at their age...I would catch a night when they are doing Spectro and Wishes and another night at Illuminations (stand on bridge between England and France for great view!)

We love all the nighttime entertainment, it's a highlight of the trip for us. We have learned though, that with 2 kids that won't take an afternoon nap, we can't burn the candle at both ends. EMH mornings just aren't for us, we would all rather stay up late than get up early. We still take a break in the afternoon for some downtime, but that doesn't make it any easier to get up the next morning.

You have to do what you think will work best for your family, but I know for ours the trip wouldn't seem complete without all the fun at night.

We first went to WDW (and OKW) when our kids were 9 mos., 2, and 4. The last time we went (April) they were 4, 6 and 8. Our eldest saw his first "night event" - Illuminations - on our last trip. While every family/child is different, we took the approach of geeting a good night's sleep so that the days would be enjoyable - and they were. Our experience has been that the amount of stimulation for a kid (parents too!) is so great that missing an event or two has never lessened the experience for us. If anything, it gives us something to look forward to on future trips.

Have fun!

I agree with posters who say to take the afternoon off and then see Spectromagic, Wishes, Illuminations and Fantasmic. Especially if some of your kids will nap in the afternoon. It seems to me like the parks are usually a lot of work for the fun, which the shows at night are pretty amazing and not too difficult (find a spot, stay in it).

In my opinion, pick one night and stay up later for Wishes. If it were Fantasy in the Sky I'd say you could skip it, but Wishes was spectacular and I'm so glad we went back to the MK to see it. We did have any little kids with us (yet!) but I am pregnant so I was pretty tired at night too, but we went back to AKL to rest around 6pm and got to MK at 8:15 just to see Wishes and it was one of the best parts of the trip. We almost missed it because we fell asleep, but luckily we got up in time. Also, Fantasmic was at 7:30 everynight, so if that's not too late for you guys, I would see that too, your kids would love it. Spectromagic is nice, but you'll be fine missing it. I love Illuminations too, but again, I think you'd be just fine without it. Since your kids would probably never go to sleep if they napped at 6, you would probably want to take your break earlier in the day, but considering it would get pretty crowded around 3pm when we were there last week, that would be a good time for a break anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter