Nikki & Travis' Disney Dream Cruise Wedding - 4/18/2016 -4/22/2016 - Dessert Party

NikkiEla

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
Thank you so much for checking out my Planning Journal! :bride:
I've been obsessed with all of these amazing planning journals since I discovered them and
I'm excited to contribute a little bit with my own wedding planning journey!

Lets start with the basics. My name is Nikki and I'm the bride in this story.
The groom in this story is my fiancé Travis.
We've been together for a little over 4 years.
We're both from the Illinois Suburbs, about an hour from the city.

(Sorry the picture is so big! It wouldn't resize!)

How We Met:
So we didn't exactly have a fairytale meeting...
I worked with his roommates and was invited to a party they were having at their apartment.
I was instantly attracted to him but was going through this phase of
"I don't need a man to make me happy!" ;)

Anyway, fast forward a little bit later when the beer pong table was set up and
everyone had to put their name in a hat to get randomly paired up.
As fate would have it, we were paired up together and we instantly hit it off!
We started talking through social media and texting until he finally got the courage to ask me out on a date!
We went out to dinner where I barely spoke and
didn't eat a single bite of my food because I was so nervous haha!
Lucky for me he thought it was cute and we have been together ever since! :flower:

Welcome!!! So glad you started a PJ especially another DCL bride :bounce:very excited to hear about your plans this year will just fly by!

Happy Planning
Melissa:goodvibes

The Proposal
Like the story of how we met, our proposal story is not your typical but I absolutely love it.

After being together for years we obviously talked about our future.
We knew we were going to get married and liked to day dream about our lives in the future.

One night Trav took me to some jewelry stores to give him a better idea of what kind of rings I liked.
Can you imagine the excitement I felt?!
1) I was going to get engaged to my love in the near future &
2) I got to pick out the ring so I didn't have to worry about getting something I didn't like!
That may sound bad but it's not, Trav felt the same way.
His Logic = engagement rings are expensive and
he didn't want to spend so much money on a ring I didn't like.

So it had been about a month since we had looked at rings and still no ring.
I was bummed but was doing my best to be patient.
Then March 5th 2015 rolled around...
Travis had to work late so I was at home pinteresting like usual, waiting for him.
When he did come home he was acting extremely weird. He legitimately danced through the door when coming into the house! I thought he was crazy and still had no idea what was going on.
About a minute later he started rummaging through his laptop bag, pulled out a box and dropped to one knee...
He said he had planned a more "traditional" proposal but was too excited and could't wait!
It was a perfect proposal for us and I love it :)

After shouting to the world our amazing news of being engaged and getting so much love and support, we went out and celebrated!

The picture above is at the restaurant.
You can also see I was very caught off guard because my nails weren't even done for all the hand pictures! :laughing:

Welcome!!! So glad you started a PJ especially another DCL bride :bounce:very excited to hear about your plans this year will just fly by!

Happy Planning
Melissa:goodvibes

Thanks girl!!!
I'm excited!
I have you to thank for not going completely crazy with the beginning stages of planning a DCL wedding!​

Thanks girl!!!
I'm excited!
I have you to thank for not going completely crazy with the beginning stages of planning a DCL wedding!​

I absolutely love your engagement story I love when they are so perfect to your relationship! and be careful with pinterst omg I seriously have been addicted for the last two years pinning wedding things like a crazy person! :faint: and your very welcome DCL weddings are hard to find info on and I have been going a tad bit overtop on things :rolleyes: so if you ever have questions just let me know I will try to answer what I can the wedding process can get stressful :scared1: but the best advice is to start stuff early it really helps in the end! Can't wait to hear more of your plans! are you planning engagement photos at all?

Happy Planning
Melissa

I absolutely love your engagement story I love when they are so perfect to your relationship! and be careful with pinterst omg I seriously have been addicted for the last two years pinning wedding things like a crazy person! :faint: and your very welcome DCL weddings are hard to find info on and I have been going a tad bit overtop on things :rolleyes: so if you ever have questions just let me know I will try to answer what I can the wedding process can get stressful :scared1: but the best advice is to start stuff early it really helps in the end! Can't wait to hear more of your plans! are you planning engagement photos at all?

Happy Planning
Melissa

Pinterest is the worst right now, I want to make everything!
i'm making this plan in my head of all the things I want to make but not thinking of my budget lol!

We are doing engagement photos!
Our photographer is really great!
She gave us an amazing deal that included photos from the whole trip and an engagement session for the cost of what just a wedding usually costs!
The only thing thats holding back the engagement photo session is me wanting to lose 10 pounds :rolleyes:
and Illinois weather is so unpredictable! I want it to be super nice out for the pictures! This month has been all rain so far:guilty:

:banana:Yay! You started a planning journal! I'm excited to follow along.
Yay! I'm happy you'll be following along! We'll be going through this planning process together!

I blew our budget out of the water I will do a final post but i wanted to be around 12,000 and have far excited that but we did pay to bring a photographer and are having a week long wedding then a week long honeymoon so we are doing some extra things so I guess its all give or take! and that is so amazing that you get engagement photos included thats awesome is she from Illinois or Florida? and I had the same issue I wanted to lose more weight but I wanted or photos when it was rainy so I just bit the bullet but looking at them I love them they way are so don't worry to much about it but I would really recommend FIT body wraps that has been helping me lose weight (13lbs!) plus working out and diet but they really help a lot and I can't wait to see what you decided to do for your photos!

Happy Planning :goodvibes

I blew our budget out of the water I will do a final post but i wanted to be around 12,000 and have far excited that but we did pay to bring a photographer and are having a week long wedding then a week long honeymoon so we are doing some extra things so I guess its all give or take! and that is so amazing that you get engagement photos included thats awesome is she from Illinois or Florida? and I had the same issue I wanted to lose more weight but I wanted or photos when it was rainy so I just bit the bullet but looking at them I love them they way are so don't worry to much about it but I would really recommend FIT body wraps that has been helping me lose weight (13lbs!) plus working out and diet but they really help a lot and I can't wait to see what you decided to do for your photos!

Happy Planning :goodvibes

I have a feeling we're going to go over our budget.
We made a spreadsheet for all of our expenses and it was at about $11,000 but we forgot to include some things and estimated on other sections that will probably not be accurate haha.
I think we're just going to have to work with the spreadsheet and budget as we get correct pricing and additional things we want to add on.

Our photographer is from Illinois so travel expenses for her are a little more than we were hoping but It all kind of evened out with the photos on the ship, the ceremony & reception and the engagement session. Plus she's including a leather photo book with photos from the ceremony and reception so that's a nice perk.

I'm going to look up those wraps and get them! Thank you! I've been tracking everything I eat and working out but I want that little bit of extra help and I think those will be perfect!
Welcome! Can't wait to follow along!

Thank you so much!! Hopefully it will get a little more entertaining as my planning goes on lol​

Picking a Disney Cruise Line / Castaway Cay Wedding:

I can’t tell a lie.
We were planning our wedding before we were even engaged!
When we first started planning, we were all over the place.
We went from eloping in Key West to planning a semi-traditional wedding in Chicago to eloping again in The Virgin Islands.

But we were sure on one thing; we wanted something unique and small.
We aren't traditional and it made no sense to do something traditional for our wedding.

I had been doing extensive research on unique wedding ideas but nothing felt right.
So we started to focus on just getting married in Illinois. We were contacting venues and making appointments to visit the venues and all that stuff that goes along with a regular old wedding.

One night I was visiting my older brother & sister-in-law and was telling them about our plans. Surprisingly, my brother gave me an odd look and asked if I was settling and then told me to look into Disney World or DCL. I had already looked into Disney World and everything I would have wanted would have cost us a fortune but I hadn’t looked at DCL weddings.

That night Trav & I looked up DCL and the weddings help there and we were sold!
That’s exactly what we wanted! A simple, beautiful, stress free and fun celebration with the people we loved most!
Now things haven’t exactly been stress free but the simple, beautiful and fun part is still there!

Theme:

I’m extremely excited about my theme!
I’m a super indecisive person so making a decision this important freaks me out!
I went through a few different ideas but eventually found the one that felt just right.

I wanted something that was a bit unique but still went along with our locations, DCL/ Castaway Cay.
The nautical theme and beach theme was too trendy for me and there was no way I was going to settle for something that didn’t go with my location.

So I started to think about the wedding as a whole and what I wanted it to feel like.
My answer – peaceful, tranquil, beautiful, soft and fun.

My Theme – Whimsical Little Mermaid
My Colors – pastel blues, greens, purple, aqua (Think watercolors) and a hint of sparkly gold accents

I have a huge list of ideas that incorporates my theme throughout and I can’t wait to share it all with you all!​

I have a feeling we're going to go over our budget.
We made a spreadsheet for all of our expenses and it was at about $11,000 but we forgot to include some things and estimated on other sections that will probably not be accurate haha.
I think we're just going to have to work with the spreadsheet and budget as we get correct pricing and additional things we want to add on.

Our photographer is from Illinois so travel expenses for her are a little more than we were hoping but It all kind of evened out with the photos on the ship, the ceremony & reception and the engagement session. Plus she's including a leather photo book with photos from the ceremony and reception so that's a nice perk.

I'm going to look up those wraps and get them! Thank you! I've been tracking everything I eat and working out but I want that little bit of extra help and I think those will be perfect!

Its so funny the little things you forget to add my big one was bridal, parent and the grooms gift my grooms gift cost about $700!! That was WAY more than I thought but really worth it! and that is such an amazing deal and a photo book lucky girl! :thumbsup2 The wraps are so awesome you sweat so much its really grouse but really worth it in the end!

Picking a Disney Cruise Line / Castaway Cay Wedding:

I can’t tell a lie.
We were planning our wedding before we were even engaged!
When we first started planning, we were all over the place.
We went from eloping in Key West to planning a semi-traditional wedding in Chicago to eloping again in The Virgin Islands.

But we were sure on one thing; we wanted something unique and small.
We aren't traditional and it made no sense to do something traditional for our wedding.

I had been doing extensive research on unique wedding ideas but nothing felt right.
So we started to focus on just getting married in Illinois. We were contacting venues and making appointments to visit the venues and all that stuff that goes along with a regular old wedding.

One night I was visiting my older brother & sister-in-law and was telling them about our plans. Surprisingly, my brother gave me an odd look and asked if I was settling and then told me to look into Disney World or DCL. I had already looked into Disney World and everything I would have wanted would have cost us a fortune but I hadn’t looked at DCL weddings.

That night Trav & I looked up DCL and the weddings help there and we were sold!
That’s exactly what we wanted! A simple, beautiful, stress free and fun celebration with the people we loved most!
Now things haven’t exactly been stress free but the simple, beautiful and fun part is still there!

Theme:

I’m extremely excited about my theme!
I’m a super indecisive person so making a decision this important freaks me out!
I went through a few different ideas but eventually found the one that felt just right.

I wanted something that was a bit unique but still went along with our locations, DCL/ Castaway Cay.
The nautical theme and beach theme was too trendy for me and there was no way I was going to settle for something that didn’t go with my location.

So I started to think about the wedding as a whole and what I wanted it to feel like.
My answer – peaceful, tranquil, beautiful, soft and fun.

My Theme – Whimsical Little Mermaid
My Colors – pastel blues, greens, purple, aqua (Think watercolors) and a hint of sparkly gold accents

I have a huge list of ideas that incorporates my theme throughout and I can’t wait to share it all with you all!​

I LOVE YOUR THEME!!! :jumping1:I love disney themes but I love when you add onto them that whimsical touch is going to open so many doors for decorations :blush: and such and the colors are amazing I am so excited to see what you do with that!! Also could call from your brother to recommend a DCL wedding we to debated between WDW and DCL but I just love DCL its going to be so amazing excited for you, your already making so much progress!

Happy Planning
Melissa :goodvibes

So much has happened in the last few weeks.
Lots of wedding planning progress!
The most exiting thing, in my opinion, is.....

I FOUND MY DRESS!!
It's ordered and now I wait 9 months for it to come in :upsidedow

I spent a little more than I thought I would but as soon as I put it on I knew it was the one!
It has a ivory liner and blush tulle over that.
The back is my favorite though. They called it a jeweled tattoo back!
It's a sheer back with jeweled design on the back and sides! pixiedust::cool1:
What do you guys think?​

OMG I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR DRESS!!! I mean that thing is so beautiful and all my dress shopping I never heard of the jewel tattoo back but I love it and think it is so modern and chic looking! and blush tulle that sounds really pretty! The hardest part is now waiting to get that bad boy in your hands! Congrats on getting a big thing of your to do list!

Happy Planning

OMG I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR DRESS!!! I mean that thing is so beautiful and all my dress shopping I never heard of the jewel tattoo back but I love it and think it is so modern and chic looking! and blush tulle that sounds really pretty! The hardest part is now waiting to get that bad boy in your hands! Congrats on getting a big thing of your to do list!

Happy Planning

Thank you so much!!!
I'm in absolute love with it!!
I was a little nervous only going to two shops and picking a dress but I just knew it was the one.
Everyone I talked to about dress shopping said you would just know when you found your dress
and that's exactly what happened!

This was the only dress that I saw online and in the shops that had a jewel tattoo back!
I've seen dresses with beautiful back detail but nothing like this!
And I think it goes perfectly with my whimsical Mermaid theme and
it's light and flowy for the beach ceremony setting!

Now I'm working on the invitations :upsidedow
I can't wait to post them once they're done!​

So much has happened in the last few weeks.
Lots of wedding planning progress!
The most exiting thing, in my opinion, is.....

I FOUND MY DRESS!!
It's ordered and now I wait 9 months for it to come in :upsidedow

I spent a little more than I thought I would but as soon as I put it on I knew it was the one!
It has a ivory liner and blush tulle over that.
The back is my favorite though. They called it a jeweled tattoo back!
It's a sheer back with jeweled design on the back and sides! pixiedust::cool1:
What do you guys think?​

Love love LOVE your dress!!!! I am obsessed with dresses that have awesome back detail and this is just stunning (I may have even saved a picture of this same dress at some point)! How exciting to have your dress checked off the to-do list. :)

Love love LOVE your dress!!!! I am obsessed with dresses that have awesome back detail and this is just stunning (I may have even saved a picture of this same dress at some point)! How exciting to have your dress checked off the to-do list. :)

Thank you so much!!
It definitely feels like I can breath again now with that checked off!
But my to-do list has a new addition, "Do back workouts starting now until the wedding" haha! :rotfl2:

Thank you so much!!!
I'm in absolute love with it!!
I was a little nervous only going to two shops and picking a dress but I just knew it was the one.
Everyone I talked to about dress shopping said you would just know when you found your dress
and that's exactly what happened!

This was the only dress that I saw online and in the shops that had a jewel tattoo back!
I've seen dresses with beautiful back detail but nothing like this!
And I think it goes perfectly with my whimsical Mermaid theme and
it's light and flowy for the beach ceremony setting!

Now I'm working on the invitations :upsidedow
I can't wait to post them once they're done!​

It will go so perfect with your whimsical theme and so flowy and fits the little mermaid perfectly :love: and I can't wait to see your invitations that can be such a fun project:rotfl:

Happy Planning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!