Nine Nights: Filling 2019 with Disney Adventures around the World *New TR Link 7/31

My mom and I wouldn’t mind riding Test Track, but with the tiering system we have to pick and choose what’s our favorite. And Soarin’ is my mom’s favorite attraction in all of Walt Disney World; obviously that wins every time.

Is Evie going to break 40" by this trip? If not, you and your mom could go over to TT with the boys and get rider swaps. Or, since Evie doesn't have a tier 1 booked, your mom could go in on Evie's tier 1 FP and you could get a swap for you, your mom, and Landon to then ride together. Digital RS is good until the end of the park day, so you wouldn't have to do it back to back of you didn't want Evie to wait through both ride cycles.

Hubby and I used digital RS at ToT, RnR, EE, FoP, and Space this month with great success. In all cases, the swap was good until the end of the day. Each band can only hold one at a time, though, so you have to use it before they person can get another one.

Actually, you should get Alex a swap for soarin, too, and he can ride while you enjoy pool time.

Is Evie going to break 40" by this trip? If not, you and your mom could go over to TT with the boys and get rider swaps. Or, since Evie doesn't have a tier 1 booked, your mom could go in on Evie's tier 1 FP and you could get a swap for you, your mom, and Landon to then ride together. Digital RS is good until the end of the park day, so you wouldn't have to do it back to back of you didn't want Evie to wait through both ride cycles.

Hubby and I used digital RS at ToT, RnR, EE, FoP, and Space this month with great success. In all cases, the swap was good until the end of the day. Each band can only hold one at a time, though, so you have to use it before they person can get another one.

Actually, you should get Alex a swap for soarin, too, and he can ride while you enjoy pool time.

I thought I read recently that Disney was cracking down on Rider Swaps and you could only get one if the person had an existing Fastpass for the attraction. When the kids were younger that’s how we did most of the coasters. Alex would FP TT and I would FP Soarin and then we would get passes so the other could ride. Maybe the articles I was reading only referred to 7DMT...I need to go look that up. Because if we can use our old system that would definitely make life easier!

I thought I read recently that Disney was cracking down on Rider Swaps and you could only get one if the person had an existing Fastpass for the attraction. When the kids were younger that’s how we did most of the coasters. Alex would FP TT and I would FP Soarin and then we would get passes so the other could ride. Maybe the articles I was reading only referred to 7DMT...I need to go look that up. Because if we can use our old system that would definitely make life easier!

I had read that as well but never actually experienced it. We definitely got swaps when only the first person had FP. Perhaps it depends on the CM you get.

I can't believe I didn't know you had this ptr and I didn't know about it!!! I am so glad that I found it before you go!!!!

I hope your adults only getaway actually happens. Fingers crossed for sure! Every parent deserves it. I know it is hard to do!

Your plans all sound great so far!

I had read that as well but never actually experienced it. We definitely got swaps when only the first person had FP. Perhaps it depends on the CM you get.

Awesome! This is great to hear. I will definitely have to give this a try with Test Track; my mom and I would love to be able to ride that.

I can't believe I didn't know you had this ptr and I didn't know about it!!! I am so glad that I found it before you go!!!!

I hope your adults only getaway actually happens. Fingers crossed for sure! Every parent deserves it. I know it is hard to do!

Your plans all sound great so far!

Thanks for joining along! A trip this size is intimidating me, but I'm excited for it. I don't know what I'll do if everything works out and Alex and I get some Disney time without the kids!

Being with your mom in Disney on her birthday will be so wonderful! Your plans for the day sound so great! I don't blame you at all for needing to go to Via Napoli! Sounds like you have so many good memories tied to that place :lovestruc

My family loves Via Napoli, and we can't wait to have another big family dinner there.

I think your plans sound great! I'm super close with my Mom too so I totally understand! I think its smart to not overplan the day, everything you have planned sounds great!

Via Napoli is always our go to in EPCOT too lol I dont know what it is about it! DH usually wants something other than Via Napoli so thats usually when I try something new. But its hard to stray away! Especially when you know everyone will have a good meal! So I totally get it!

I think Alex would skip Via Napoli more often, but he knows it makes me happy and has accepted it'll be part of every trip. And he knows it gets us in Epcot so he takes the win.

Another big fan of Via Napoli here! I've been craving it lately and was trying to think about when I could fit it in when I visit in May (though it didn't look promising). Then I was at Disneyland this past weekend and for dinner I remembered there is an Italian restaurant that just did a renovation and I haven't tried it out. There was a long line, but because I was willing to eat inside (I guess most people want to eat on the patio) I got seated immediately! I realized later on it's the same group who runs Via Napoli and was DELICIOUS! Met my craving perfectly and now I am close enough to stop there very once in a while!

I was also going to suggest Child Swap! The new system literally went into place right after we left last summer, but here's what I found on the web:
"Just like with paper FastPasses I still highly recommend that you use FastPass+ for only the first group. This means that you'd get FastPasses for just the number of people riding in Group 1.

Once your group shows up during the FastPass window (the whole group should show up, including the non-riding child), the Cast Member will scan the MagicBands or tickets of the rest of the group (Group 2). Group 2 will then have the Rider Switch pass added to their My Disney Experience account. That Rider Switch pass will then allow Group 2 to use the FastPass+ line."

The article also states that you only have a 1 hour long window to return...and only 3 people can use each RS, as before.

I love your plans for your mum’s birthday celebrations :)
Soarin is my favourite ride in Epcot though SSE comes a close second because it was my dad’s favourite and it reminds me of him:love:
Trattoria is our “ must do” every trip but I have to say I remember laughing out loud reading your TR when your mum gave Landon her tiramisu. :rotfl:
I gave my wee grandson his first taste of chocolate from Colin the caterpilar cake ( a teeny tiny smidgen) at a family christening just before his 1st birthday :eek: My daughter still laughs that it’s all my fault that he loves chocolate :love: When you move to England go into your local Marks & Spencer’s store where you will find Colin - still my daughter’s favourite birthday cake of all time and she’s turning 30 this year! Landon and Evie will enjoy all the goodies on offer there and guess what - you can buy a jumper, birthday card and dinner all in the one place! :goodvibes Not quite the scale of target but still fun to shop in :thumbsup2

The article also states that you only have a 1 hour long window to return...and only 3 people can use each RS, as before.

I had read that as well but it wasn't the case when we traveled this month. All of our RSs were good until end of day, so we split up when we rode to break things up for the kids. I rode EE, we did the Nemo show, and then I took the kids to the boneyard while Hubby rode EE, that sort of thing. I confirmed with the CMs what the time restriction would be and they always said end of day. The only caveat they told me was that you could only have one at a time per person, so you'd have to use the one they were loading before getting another.

From my research, I was very concerned about needing FPs for the whole party, limited return times, etc and none of that was an issue for us. Maybe it's because it was super obvious we weren't trying to game the system? I mean, we were only ever sending one parent to ride and then getting a swap for the other parent, no trying to get a sibling in on group 2 that wasn't in group 1 or anything like that.

But doesn’t everyone have that one place at Disney? That one eatery they have to visit trip after trip? Please say you do, so I feel less guilty about my Via Napoli obsession.

We do. We seem to always end up at Teppen Edo and Liberty Tree Tavern. We do try new ones as well during the week as well.

I realized later on it's the same group who runs Via Napoli and was DELICIOUS! Met my craving perfectly and now I am close enough to stop there very once in a while!

I had heard there was a similar restaurant in DL but wasn't sure if it compared to the amazingness that is Via Napoli. Guess now I know one place I'll have to try out when I eventually make it over to CA. :rotfl:

I was also going to suggest Child Swap! The new system literally went into place right after we left last summer, but here's what I found on the web:

My mom has given up coasters in the last few years, so I think this will be the one day where I'll have to test out the new Rider Swap system. Fingers crossed they give us until the end of the day and not an hour, because that would be crazy!

Soarin is my favourite ride in Epcot though SSE comes a close second because it was my dad’s favourite and it reminds me of him:love:
Trattoria is our “ must do” every trip but I have to say I remember laughing out loud reading your TR when your mum gave Landon her tiramisu. :rotfl:
I gave my wee grandson his first taste of chocolate from Colin the caterpilar cake ( a teeny tiny smidgen) at a family christening just before his 1st birthday :eek: My daughter still laughs that it’s all my fault that he loves chocolate :love: When you move to England go into your local Marks & Spencer’s store where you will find Colin - still my daughter’s favourite birthday cake of all time and she’s turning 30 this year! Landon and Evie will enjoy all the goodies on offer there and guess what - you can buy a jumper, birthday card and dinner all in the one place! :goodvibes Not quite the scale of target but still fun to shop in :thumbsup2

Oooh, thanks for the tip! I remember seeing several Marks & Spencers when we stayed in London last and wondered what they offered. Now I'll definitely have to check one out. Hmmm, let's see....I just searched on the store site and it looks like there's one right in the nearest town I'm moving to. Awesome! I know where I'll be stopping by the first weekend we arrive. (Well, I guess I should say, the first chance Alex has to drive me there. I'm still petrified at learning how to drive on the left side of the road.:scared:)

From my research, I was very concerned about needing FPs for the whole party, limited return times, etc and none of that was an issue for us. Maybe it's because it was super obvious we weren't trying to game the system? I mean, we were only ever sending one parent to ride and then getting a swap for the other parent, no trying to get a sibling in on group 2 that wasn't in group 1 or anything like that.

That's probably true. I think the new system might rely on a cast member's discretion to a certain extent. So none of your girls rode with you or your husband when using the Rider Swap? If that was the case, I will make sure not to bring Landon along for any repeat rides to prevent possible problems.

We do. We seem to always end up at Teppen Edo and Liberty Tree Tavern. We do try new ones as well during the week as well.

We're trying Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time this trip, and I'm really looking forward to it! Hearing it's a must-do every trip for you makes me think I'll really enjoy the food offerings.

Kid-Free Day Revisions:

This has to be a record for me. I haven’t even gotten through sharing my daily plans and already one of them has changed.

Yesterday was our Fastpass day for the kid-free portion of the trip. I got myself settled at my computer at 1 o’clock (I do love that it’s a reasonable time for me over here) and logged on to MDE via my laptop and my phone. I was feeling optimistic and thought luck would be on my side with the Fastpass Gods.

My goal was to grab a Flight of Passage FP anytime before 3 o’clock. If I could do that then our Le Cellier dinner would be doable, the rest of the day would be open, and Alex and I wouldn’t have to wait in two hour lines for a turn on the attraction.

Unfortunately, when I accessed the Fastpass page, the earliest time I could get for FOP was 5:50 to 6:50.

Right smack dab in the middle of our dinner.

Boo.

Putting my educated brain to work, I pondered the situation over and realized the easiest solution would be to flip flop the day’s plans. I hopped on the dining page and found a 12:30 Le Cellier lunch on that same day. I booked it and moved my remaining two Fastpasses to a later time in the afternoon.

Now, our kid-free day looks like this:

- 12:30 lunch at Le Cellier in Epcot
- Dinosaur Fastpass 4:20-5:20
- FOP Fastpass 5:50-6:50
- EE FP 7:20-8:20

Hollywood Studios has Extra Magic Hours this morning from 8 to 9. Depending on what time Alex and I wake up, we might try to make it and ride Rock N Roller Coaster if it’s not too busy yet. Fingers crossed everyone is making the rush to Toy Story Land and leaving Sunset Blvd alone.

R04.jpg
(Photo from May 2011)

If we can manage the DHS trip, then the rest of our morning will be slow going. We’ll take our time getting over to Epcot. The Flower and Garden Festival will still be in its last days, so I imagine we’ll get to the International Gateway when World Showcase opens at 11 and spend the next hour and a half enjoying its offerings. (Minus the food.)

R03.jpg
(Also a picture from our May 2011 trip.)

R05.JPG

Then, we’ll have lunch at Le Cellier, head back to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a short break and finish our night at Animal Kingdom. I’m not too concerned about making our Dinosaur Fastpass. If we get to the park before its expiration at 5:30, great. If not, no sweat off our backs. The real importance is making it to Pandora for our FOP Fastpasses.

***This might be because I hate Dinosaur and become such a scardey cat on the attraction. Picture from my first trip with Alex in December of 2010 supports this statement:***

R02.jpg

This new plan cuts out IllumiNations (Alex’s favorite nighttime show) but since we are eating dinner at Via Napoli later in the week, we can just stay in Epcot a bit later and catch the show then. Besides, I told my mom that IllumiNations was ending this summer and now she wants to see it one last time. So we would have ended up seeing it twice had we watched it on our adult trip.

Plus, I love Animal Kingdom at night. Alex has never seen Pandora after dark, so this will be his chance to experience the bioluminescent lights.

And Expedition Everest in the dark is actually my favorite attraction at Disney. BTMRR comes pretty darn close, but I think if I had to pick one coaster to experience at Disney, it would be EE at night.

R01.jpg

Another positive to the changes is that we will be closer to our resort, so once AK closes at 9 it’ll be a short bus back to Animal Kingdom Lodge and a reasonable bedtime before our flights the next morning.

I’m a little apprehensive about eating a huge steak lunch in the middle of summer, but if I can convince Alex to split an appetizer and entrée with me that’ll help a lot. Then we can grab a dessert from some F&G booths on the way out of the park. Otherwise, I think these new plans will work out and allow us more coaster time than our previous plans.

This Sunday is our Fastpass day for the rest of our trip. (I know about the 60+10 system but since my mom isn’t on the first reservation I didn’t want to try and book our passes now and then try and get my mom matching ones in a few days.)

It’s also Landon’s birthday, so I’m going to be trying to book 9 nights’ worth of passes in the middle of birthday festivities. Should prove interesting!

Also, Disney announced the Villain’s After Hours Party at the MK which messed with our tentative plans! I had been impatiently waiting for June days to be released for the MK After Hours Party, and I’m probably one of the few people who were disappointed with this announcement. Alex and I don’t care much for villains – that was my half marathon’s theme last year so I’m kind of “villained” out – and this raised the price of the event by a few dollars. Between the high demand for the event, the higher cost, and dates not coinciding I have had to give up the idea of attending the event.

Slightly disappointing, but it was never a guarantee and Alex wasn’t completely into the idea anyways. I’ll just shelve it under “Something to do down the road.”

I feel like sometimes the Disney Gods know the better plans than we do! It sounds like a great alternative to what you originally had planned, if not better! Awesome that you were able to get a FOP fp and won't have to wait 2 hours for it!!

And if you wanted to RD DHS that almost seems like the better option now since EPCOT is right there! Seems perfect!

(Well, I guess I should say, the first chance Alex has to drive me there. I'm still petrified at learning how to drive on the left side of the road.:scared:)

I totally understand as the idea of driving on the right-hand side of the road freaks me out big-time!!:scared1:
Thank goodness for disney transportation and mears lol

love the updated plans :thumbsup2

Glad you were able to get FOP FPs! Have you guys not done it yet? I hope you like it!

Le Celier at lunch will be good, just split some food.

That's probably true. I think the new system might rely on a cast member's discretion to a certain extent. So none of your girls rode with you or your husband when using the Rider Swap? If that was the case, I will make sure not to bring Landon along for any repeat rides to prevent possible problems.

My girls weren't in the swap party because they're all the same height / thrill tolerance. So, were were swapping things that only the adults could (our in the case of ToT were willing to) ride.

If Landon has a FP in group 1, he can definitely be get a RS to be in group 2 also. My comment was more directed at someone showing up with 4 riders, one infant, and only one FP for group 1 but trying to get three RS in group 2. I'd imagine CMs being more reluctant in a situation where the RS is creating more FPs than the first group ever had.

Fingers crossed everyone is making the rush to Toy Story Land and leaving Sunset Blvd alone.

As of now, they are. I think about a dozen people went somewhere other than TSL on our HS RD. Even if folks have SDD FPs in hand, they'll want to RD the other two TSL rides since they're all tier 1 and use ToT and RnR as their tier 2 FPs.

(I know about the 60+10 system but since my mom isn’t on the first reservation I didn’t want to try and book our passes now and then try and get my mom matching ones in a few days.)

As long as one member of the fp party is on a valid hotel reservation, you can book FPs that include folks not on the reservation. So, you couldn't book your mom FPs without one of you, but you can book FPs for her with you if your window is open and hers isn't.

Sorry to post another update before replies to your comments, but my head is spinning!

After making Fastpasses for Alex and myself on Tuesday, I realized that the only days available to reserve passes were for the 3 days we were at Animal Kingdom Lodge. This wasn't a big deal, because I was waiting for the 60 day window for our Shades portion to open up to book the rest of the passes.

But then @TheOneWithTheTriplets comment got me thinking, and I did some digging.

Turns out, there appears to be a new rule for Annual Passholders that states we can't have more than 7 days of Fastpasses booked within a 60 day window. People have been reporting that this policy is overriding the onsite stay+14 day's worth of passes rule.

And even if I could find a loophole with that, it would be moot because people are also saying DS resorts (which includes Shades of Green) are only allowed to book 7 days of passes at the 60 day window, even if your stay is longer than that.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

This has completely thrown a monkey wrench in my plans, and I only have a few days to figure this out.
Originally, our passes were going to look like this:

June 2: Alex and Me have AK FPs
June 7-10: Passes for us 4 plus my mom
June 12-14: Passes for us 4
June 11: Throwaway passes on the off chance we head in to a park after dinner.

My mom has her own room reservation and is only staying 5 nights, so she will be good no matter what.
But the kids have 2 sets of 4 day Discovery tickets and Alex and I have two Gold FL Resident Annual Passes.

I'm thinking Alex and I will only be able to get 6 more days of Fastpasses now that we have those June 2nd ones. And they will have to be within the first 7 nights of our trip.

So, if this new policy holds true then I will be able to have:
June 2nd: Passes
June 7th,
June 8th,
June 9th,
June 10th,
June 12th,
June 13th

June 13th would be the 7th day of our Shades reservation, so that would be the last day we're "allowed" plus that would be our maxed number of days for APs.

This would mean I couldn't get passes on our final day, the 14th, as well as our down day, the 11th. I had also been toying around with the idea of going into a park briefly on our arrival night, but if we do that then I can't get passes. Basically, this new policy is eliminating me from getting potential passes on the 1st, 3rd, 11th, and 14th even though I have "onsite" reservations those days.

**Once I use a day's FPs, I can make selections for another day, though. So, for example, once I use our Fastpasses on the 2nd, I can go into MDE and make passes for the 14th, because I would have bumped us down to 6 passes on our account. And while that is feasible and easy to do, it also decreases our chances of getting a particular attraction. However, I could only get Alex and I passes, because the kids would still be victim of the 7 day limit at Shades.**

Does this sound correct to you guys? Anyone else encountered this issue? I'm pretty stressed about this new system that I was oblivious about up until today. And had I known I think Alex and I would have not become passholders and saved the money by staying at a Disney resort where we would be guaranteed the 14 days. :confused3

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter