No gaiters only a mask with loops or ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what is getting lost here is you have to remember how bad Disney guests are at following rules. For every guest that has a well-fitted, secure gaiter, there will be guests who wear them loose around their neck and only pull them up to cover their mouth when asked by a CM. Gaiters are much easier to "cheat" with than masks because guests can claim they just fell down accidentally and they didn't mean to break the rules.

Think about it... how many "service" dogs have you seen who are clearly not trained? How many people have you seen arguing that they should be allowed on a ride outside of their FP window? How many people try to park themselves in the marked off areas at parades/fireworks shows that are designated for walking? Or cut in lines by sending a runner ahead for their groups?

Disney is simply taking away the opportunity for easy cheating by requiring a looped mask secured to a person's face.

I think what is getting lost here is you have to remember how bad Disney guests are at following rules. For every guest that has a well-fitted, secure gaiter, there will be guests who wear them loose around their neck and only pull them up to cover their mouth when asked by a CM. Gaiters are much easier to "cheat" with than masks because guests can claim they just fell down accidentally and they didn't mean to break the rules.

Think about it... how many "service" dogs have you seen who are clearly not trained? How many people have you seen arguing that they should be allowed on a ride outside of their FP window? How many people try to park themselves in the marked off areas at parades/fireworks shows that are designated for walking? Or cut in lines by sending a runner ahead for their groups?

Disney is simply taking away the opportunity for easy cheating by requiring a looped mask secured to a person's face.
Sad, but true!

I respect this line of thinking. I guess I’m just looking at it differently because to me the biggest cheaters I see are the loop make people with the nose peak. For my setup, taking down my gaiter to cheat some fresh air is “a whole thing”

Not sure it was caused by people wearing them incorrectly. Disney's requirements for face covering state it must "Be secured with ties or ear loops", so that would exclude a gaiter unless the gaiter has ear loops or ties. So, they are just going by exactly what their requirements state (even though a gaiter would be acceptable under CDC guidelines).

View attachment 507727
After I started reading this thread I went on Amazon and there are so many gaiters being sold with ear loops. Based on the these rules how would they not be acceptable :confused: . Do we know that they are not? Or is it everyone is just bummed because they can't use their current non-looped gaiter?

After I started reading this thread I went on Amazon and there are so many gaiters being sold with ear loops. Based on the these rules how would they not be acceptable :confused: . Do we know that they are not? Or is it everyone is just bummed because they can't use their current non-looped gaiter?

You'll be turned away at the gate unless you have an actual mask.

I think you’re exactly right. There has to be some reason gaiters aren’t allowed. I doubt it’s an arbitrary rule. This may be a place where they’ve gotten ahead of the “I’m more important than you” segment of the population.

I am anxious to hear reports from today. We are all interpreting how Disney will enforce. The exact same wording for WDW has been in place for DS and the resorts for 2-4 weeks. The wording is for WDW, not specific to the parks. There have been numerous reports that no one with a gaiter has been challenged or questioned at DS or the resorts, and many guests have been wearing gaiters. We need to find out if they will enforce the same rule differently at different parts of WDW.

If anyone is looking for inexpensive and breathable masks, we found BYD brand masks at our Costco for $20 for a 50 pack. Where we live pretty much everyone is wearing a mask, so I'm sure they are flying off the shelves, but they were only limiting to 5 per household so I think they have a big/steady supply.

We have been wearing 100% quilting cotton masks made from the rectangular CDC pattern, but have found them pretty unbearable for more than a few minutes outside with the heat/humidty. The flat elastic (1/8 and 1/4 inch) is also uncomfortable. These masks from Costco use a soft, extremely stretchy ear loop material that fits both of us (our face sizes vary too much to fit in the same sized homemade masks) and they were so breathable that we were outside for over an hour in 90 degree heat this weekend and barely noticed them!

I'm wary of the masks being sold on Amazon but these Costco masks seem to be pretty well vetted and do not have a smell at all. I believe BYD is supplying masks to the State of California, so they're probably some of the best non-surgical blue masks we can get our hands on in the US right now. I will stick to my reusable cotton masks for every day, but when I feel comfortable vacationing again I will stick to these disposable masks.

I picked some of these up last week, but they are very large on my face! They gap badly at the sides. I tried that "hack" to make it smaller but that just hurt my ears. I'll probably still wear them, but it's interesting how much different they are than the ones I got from Ebay in terms of size. But yeah, they seem higher quality and don't smell bad.

here’s me and how I wear mine. You can see I tuck the top over my ears, wear it high in the back, and it fits snug against my face. This method is extremely comfortable and secure. Also, Patagonia makes an excellent gaiter for $30.

Speaking of the clear face shields worn without a mask...

can I assume that a shield worn solo is not permissible at WDW...

even if medical conditions that effect breathing capabilities???

asking for a friend🙄 lol

I hope they change this policy. I just spent $75 on cooling gaiters last month for our trip in September :sad2:
U can still use for cooling purposes, worn around neck in conjunction w quality varies, have used mission brand of cooling products for some time
I work with two people who wear the gaiters. They are tissue paper thin and do not stay up, exposing me and my other coworkers to their germs
Depends on brand. I’ve see cloth masks that were single ply flimsy. The Disney ones are nothing special either
Tim Tracker was wearing a gaiter to the Universal Parks and he was having trouble with them not staying up (which may be why Disney is not fond of them).
Small head lol? More easy to breathe imo
tried the paper surgical masks outside and those are terrible.
N95 medical or r u talking the type that contractors wear? Those are rough
The only mask that actually prevents virus transmission is an N95. So pretty much anything else that blocks saliva is equivalent, as long as it stays in place.
No. Even if a ‘rated’ product ala authentic N95s, nothing is guaranteed That’s why u see a 2nd mask & face shield on health care workers

It doesnt matter. Disney has made the decision so its not open for discussion. There are more important things to worry about.
Of course there are more important things to worry about. But can you tell us why this decision by Disney is not open for discussion?

Seriously, people can't just suck it up and wear a mask? Be happy that the parks are reopening at all (they shouldn't be). Folks from out of state shouldn't even be considering going to Florida right now anyway.
I think it's perfectly fair to be curious about if a gaiter with ear loops or ties incorporated meets their definition of mask, or if what they really mean is no gaiters at all. They ask here instead of being "that guy" that shows up in violation of the rule and can't get in. In the end, they will "suck it up and wear a mask" or not get in. There is nothing wrong with discussing it on a discussion board.

If people out of state shouldn't be considering going to Disney, neither should in state, really. Florida is only concerned about 3 states (we won't talk about international, that's a whole different can of mostly not allowed yet). Clearly the rest are welcome. There was a thread somewhere about if the parks should or shouldn't have opened. But the parks are, and some folks want to clarify rules as they make the decision for themselves if they should or shouldn't go at this time.

What I find interesting is that neither Universal nor seemingly any other theme/amusement park has issues with gaiters, but Disney does. I mean don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time that Disney has had more strict rules than other parks, even UO, but just in general throughout this whole reopening process it's seemed like Disney has made everything far more difficult than it needed to be, while UO has been more or less smooth sailing for weeks. I get that WDW is it's own animal and requires more processes and rules, but still. Even my TA sister who lives and breaths Disney has been scratching her head at nearly every decision (or indecision) Disney has made during this process.

That being said, on my resort-only day at CR, I'll wear an ear loop mask around without a single complaint. But when we head to UO at the end of our trip, I'll be smiling wide underneath my sweat wicking, cooling, UV protecting gaiter :D

What I find interesting is that neither Universal nor seemingly any other theme/amusement park has issues with gaiters, but Disney does. I mean don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time that Disney has had more strict rules than other parks, even UO, but just in general throughout this whole reopening process it's seemed like Disney has made everything far more difficult than it needed to be, while UO has been more or less smooth sailing for weeks. I get that WDW is it's own animal and requires more processes and rules, but still. Even my TA sister who lives and breaths Disney has been scratching her head at nearly every decision (or indecision) Disney has made during this process.

That being said, on my resort-only day at CR, I'll wear an ear loop mask around without a single complaint. But when we head to UO at the end of our trip, I'll be smiling wide underneath my sweat wicking, cooling, UV protecting gaiter :D

well said. I mean, I’m going to comply obviously, but I’m not going to not voice my dissent for the banning of gaiters when mine is clearly in the spirit of the face covering policy and has been working well at DS and UO for a month now. And yes, why Disney has made things so needlessly complicated compared to UO on certain things is beyond me (cough annual pass pause opt-in vs refund cough).

well said. I mean, I’m going to comply obviously, but I’m not going to not voice my dissent for the banning of gaiters when mine is clearly in the spirit of the face covering policy and has been working well at DS and UO for a month now. And yes, why Disney has made things so needlessly complicated compared to UO on certain things is beyond me (cough annual pass pause opt-in vs refund cough).

This doesn't help. Under the same definition of masks, they were allowing them at DS. It's not helping people understand what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter