No gaiters only a mask with loops or ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
COVID cases are up manyfold since UO opened. Perhaps Disney wants to be more careful.
Yeah but that doesn't track. The material that a mask or face covering is made up of is FAR more important in how safe the mask is in protecting you or others from COVID, not whether it secures with ear loops or ties vs a neck gaiter. If Disney was trying to be more protective, they would require specific types of mask materials, etc. And also, I work for the local county government where I live and they have VERY strict requirements about wearing face coverings while at work, strictly adhering to CDC and DHEC guidelines, and they have no issues with gaiters.

I am 100% sure DIsney has their reasons for this policy, but being "more careful" re: the spread of COVID is likely not one of them.

My bet is gaiters aren't allowed because for traditional gaiters without ear loops, they can slip down and if that happens while you're on a ride like it did with Tim Tracker, you can't really fix it. It's all on the spandex material having enough recovery to keep it up, and they want more of a "belt and suspenders" type solution. Yes, they could allow gaiters with ear loops, but maybe they don't want to worry about policing some gaiters vs others. It's easier to see from a distance if someone is wearing a regular mask vs something else. I don't necessarily think the blue disposable masks are any better, especially since they have air gaps. But, their medical advisor is probably the one telling them which masks to allow and why, so whatever. In your everyday life, wear what you personally feel is the best choice, should not be a big deal to do what Disney says when in their house.

My bet is gaiters aren't allowed because for traditional gaiters without ear loops, they can slip down and if that happens while you're on a ride like it did with Tim Tracker, you can't really fix it. It's all on the spandex material having enough recovery to keep it up, and they want more of a "belt and suspenders" type solution. Yes, they could allow gaiters with ear loops, but maybe they don't want to worry about policing some gaiters vs others. It's easier to see from a distance if someone is wearing a regular mask vs something else. I don't necessarily think the blue disposable masks are any better, especially since they have air gaps. But, their medical advisor is probably the one telling them which masks to allow and why, so whatever. In your everyday life, wear what you personally feel is the best choice, should not be a big deal to do what Disney says when in their house.
Tim Tracker - in the off chance that you read this, just know I am no longer a fan, and I greatly dislike you now. I regret shaking your hand and saying I enjoyed your channel that one time in DS. You have ruined a good thing I had going with my secure and comfortable gaiter, and now I have to slum it with a traditional unbearable ear loop mask like a filthy casual. Now YOU can like and subscribe below, as I get off my soapbox.

I would not even necessarily assume it was Tim Tracker's video that did it. It's just physics and I'm sure they had meetings to discuss which kinds of masks would stay on during fast rides. You can get ear loop masks made out of the same or similar material.

I would not even necessarily assume it was Tim Tracker's video that did it. It's just physics and I'm sure they had meetings to discuss which kinds of masks would stay on during fast rides. You can get ear loop masks made out of the same or similar material.
Are you probably right? Yes. Does every problem need a scapegoat? Absolutely. I just can’t stop ranting because in the 5x I’ve road Hagrids, Rip-RockIt, and Hulk each in the last month I’ve never had my non ear looped gaiter even fall a cm. There’s no coaster at Disney that could make mine fall. I feel personally attacked by this change in policy lol. I know it’s irrational, and this is settled as Disney law now, but I need this board to know how upset I am as a pro-gaiter person. Also please know that I know how insufferable I’m being right now.

Speaking of the clear face shields worn without a mask...

can I assume that a shield worn solo is not permissible at WDW...

even if medical conditions that effect breathing capabilities???

asking for a friend🙄 lol

My understanding is "no" a face shield without a mask is not acceptable. There is a thread on the disABILITIES Forum discussing options. I highly recommend your friend speak with his/her medical professional because most are still instructing their patients to wear a mask and limit their time out and about.

Are you probably right? Yes. Does every problem need a scapegoat? Absolutely. I just can’t stop ranting because in the 5x I’ve road Hagrids, Rip-RockIt, and Hulk each in the last month I’ve never had my non ear looped gaiter even fall a cm. There’s no coaster at Disney that could make mine fall. I feel personally attacked by this change in policy lol. I know it’s irrational, and this is settled as Disney law now, but I need this board to know how upset I am as a pro-gaiter person. Also please know that I know how insufferable I’m being right now.
Lol true. I mean when I saw his video, I thought, how loose was that thing to begin with? It's basically like having a swimsuit over your face, why is that sliding down? But oh well, I guess. Those tiny Disney masks they're selling that aren't even fitted must be safer, huh.

I picked some of these up last week, but they are very large on my face! They gap badly at the sides. I tried that "hack" to make it smaller but that just hurt my ears. I'll probably still wear them, but it's interesting how much different they are than the ones I got from Ebay in terms of size. But yeah, they seem higher quality and don't smell bad.
Oh no! They definitely need to offer more sizes, gloves come in multiple sizes so I'm not sure why those masks don't!

Agreed - I'm going next week and bought nice gaiters for the whole family. They're tight-fitting so I don't really understand what good having a strap in back would do. I suppose we could cut ear-holes if that's the work-around, but I'm worried that if I cut them they'll start to tear.

I have seen a few people cut holes in their gators to create "earholes". I have no clue how to do this to ensure nothing rips and it fits properly but there have got to be youtube videos etc to at least try with Disney (but take backups just in case)
As tightly knit as most gaiter are, they shouldn't rip, tear, fray, run, etc. when you cut the fabric.

I am guessing the ear loop requirement is so that it doesn't slide down either by accident (e.g., on a coaster) or by faux accident ("Gee, CM, I just didn't even notice my gaitor was hanging below my nose and mouth.... for the 50th time today")
("Gee, CM, I just didn't even notice my gaitor was hanging below my nose and mouth down around my ankle... for the 50th time today yet again!")
Fixed it for you ;).

So are gaiters with ear loops definitely not allowed now? Anyone actually seen that happen at security or conversely, seen people with them on in the park?

No. Even if a ‘rated’ product ala authentic N95s, nothing is guaranteed That’s why u see a 2nd mask & face shield on health care workers

You‘re right that no mask is guaranteed to protect you from the virus, and even N95 masks which filter 95% of virus particles won’t be nearly as effective if not properly fitted. The face shield is worn by frontline healthcare workers, though, because drawing blood or doing nasal swabs can be messy...blood can squirt, and people can sneeze and cough right in your face. In cases like this, any mask can fail to protect.

The CDC allows gaiters to be included as face masks for several reasons. First, there are a number of people (as evidenced in this thread) who simply will not wear a mask, but might be willing to wear a gaiter, or similar. Compliance is key. Secondly, there are those who cannot afford to buy masks, but may already posses another of the recommended face coverings. if the public is not on board, it can’t work.

The problem Disney runs into with allowing gaiters, is that would have allow gaiters for everyone. As you know, not all gaiters are created equal, with many are loose fitting or made of a really inadequate material to stop the escape of bio-aerosols. It’s not exactly easy to expect an excuse of not being able to afford a mask as reasonable with visiting such an expensive location. Nor is pandering compliance, as you‘re the one wishing to visit. Some gaiters can be effective, Disney just decided not to deal with the many that aren’t.

I know from personal experience, and just common sense, that a child will eat what they are used to from early childhood.
Maybe I don't cave to my kid yet
No. Even if a ‘rated’ product ala authentic N95s, nothing is guaranteed That’s why u see a 2nd mask & face shield on health care workers
I believe you’re reinforcing my point. None of these things are any better than the others. The folks who really are at high risk and need the most protection should protect themselves, not rely on the rest of the population and their make-do gear.

not rely on the rest of the population and their make-do gear
My "make-do" year consists of, granted, home made masks + but also gaiters, a gaiter turned into a mask, disposable masks, commercial masks, and commercial* face shields. Not because I'm paranoid. I'm prepared.

*I also own one aforementioned fit soda bottle face shield. It not professional, but it might even be a little more effective because of the curve.

The problem Disney runs into with allowing gaiters, is that would have allow gaiters for everyone. As you know, not all gaiters are created equal, with many are loose fitting or made of a really inadequate material to stop the escape of bio-aerosols. It’s not exactly easy to expect an excuse of not being able to afford a mask as reasonable with visiting such an expensive location. Nor is pandering compliance, as you‘re the one wishing to visit. Some gaiters can be effective, Disney just decided not to deal with the many that aren’t.
I see people every day with terribly-fitting masks as well. I personally think Disney just expects it to be easier for their CMs to enforce wearing something by giving it an explicit definition—“ear loops or ties”—than having to argue (“no sir, having your t-shirt pulled up over your mouth is NOT a face covering”). I do think they should’ve made that call sooner, considering how much some folks may have already spent on gaiters and now have to spend on masks. It adds up if you need a few a day for a few people, plus the hassle of getting them. And again I will say—people like to get all in a bunch about “masks being politicized” but I see a lot more self-righteous shaming about this choice than politicization of it. Haven’t seen this much judgement since the discussions about how parents shouldn’t coddle their picky eaters 🙄

I believe you’re reinforcing my point. None of these things are any better than the others. The folks who really are at high risk and need the most protection should protect themselves, not rely on the rest of the population and their make-do gear.
where did I say I don't cave to my kid yet? another thread? in response to a kid not wearing a mask ? my kid wears a mask so I'm not sure where you are quoting this from. I don't see it on this thread.

where did I say I don't cave to my kid yet? in response to a kid not wearing a mask I just don't remember saying that.
I’m sorry, I’m not understanding what you’re saying. Maybe I messed up a multi-quote? ETA: I see it now—sorry. That was from another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter